League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford field 14 men v Cas (merged threads)

RFL media release

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,328 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

An interchange is not normally allowed on the pitch until the person they are replacing has left the field completely.
Also as far as I'm aware changes can't be made unless your the team in possession of the ball (or at least that's what I'm told in Champ 1). So the 14th man would have been on for a while if that's the case.

Interchanges can be made when defending, it's just a daft thing to do as you are a man down while the interchange takes place.

2 possibilities:

1. Salford put the player on without going via the official.

2. The interchange official has allowed the interchange without making sure a player came off

Either way, no replay. Technically, it's no worse an offence than any other in the law book that goes unseen by the officials.

I have done this job and have had players throw the interchange card on the floor and try to run on without waiting for the player to come off. At that stage (if the other player stayed on) you should stop the game but that's easier said than done as the ball may be in play and some distance away. In this example it would be a penalty to the non-offending side where the 14th player entered the field, 10m in (I think). Never seen this type of penalty given.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#22 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,142 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

tansey's high shot was as bad as mellis......
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#23 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

The high shot was nowhere near as bad as Meli's. He was wrong-footed for one.

#24 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

This could cost Cas, they could be relegated. Oh hang on a minute. It doesn't really matter does it.

#25 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

The high shot was nowhere near as bad as Meli's. He was wrong-footed for one.

I agree and so do the judiciary, early plea and no ban.

#26 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

Cheating bast......s ;) they'll get a fine imo which the cash Dr will pay from petty cash(who said salford couldn't buy a win), at the very most a possible points deduction depending on the circumstance but think that would be harsh.
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#27 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

tansey's high shot was as bad as mellis......

No it wasn't.  It was nowhere near as bad as Meli's.

#28 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

Back in the day when the then Auckland Warriors joined the winfield cup and John Monie was the coach, they won a game but he made either one sub to many or had more men on the field than 13 I can't remember which it was. But the result was they lost the 2 league points.
In this case Salford clearly have 14 men on the pitch defending their goaline in the dying minutes of the game when leading by only 4 points. I think there is a clear case for the points to be stripped and given to Cas.

#29 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,854 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

I think there is a clear case for the points to be stripped and given to Cas.

Why should Cas get the points? There is nothing to suggest that they'd have definitely win had this not happened.

A precedent has been set and the fine wasn't too large. I think there should be a harsher punishment but it has to be official and not made up on the spot in a reactionary way.
Posted Image

#30 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,564 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

A genuine mistake, thiese things happen.

#31 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

Why should Cas get the points? There is nothing to suggest that they'd have definitely win had this not happened.

A precedent has been set and the fine wasn't too large. I think there should be a harsher punishment but it has to be official and not made up on the spot in a reactionary way.

Why not Salford have gained an unfair advantage in the game, even if it was for only 1 or 2 tackles. I have no problem with setting a precedent.

#32 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

Just watched the dying minutes again - clearly, Salford have 14 players lined up in defence from 76.33 (earliest it was noticeable on Sky) until at least 76:46 (last shot available) that's too long to go unpunished - can see Salford losing thd points here!
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#33 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:36 AM

I wonder if the player coming on or the player meaning to come off actually made any tackles and wether that would make any difference.

I would never in a million years expect the points to go to the opposite team but salford could have there points stripped, I dont think a fine really does justice.
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA

#34 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:39 AM

Did the possession leading to this attack come from the drop out where Cas were offside?

If so Caas shouldn't have had the possession, as they should have waited for all the players to be on side.

I expect a fine and a warning about future conduct.

#35 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:55 AM

Just watched the dying minutes again - clearly, Salford have 14 players lined up in defence from 76.33 (earliest it was noticeable on Sky) until at least 76:46 (last shot available) that's too long to go unpunished - can see Salford losing thd points here!

from memory that was almost identical to the Bulls v Wire one a few years back that saw little punishment. The Bulls were defending their own line on that occasion. A precedent has been set.

#36 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

Salford City Reds have been charged with a breach of RFL Operational Rules by fielding 14 players for a period during a Super League fixture against Castleford Tigers on Saturday April 27.

Salford are alleged to be in breach of Operational Rules B1.1, (General Competition Rules - Laws of the Game); B2:4 (Match Day Operations Manual (section D15 – Interchange)) and Operational Rule D1.8 (a) (serious or persistent breach of the RFL Operational Rules). 

The matter will be dealt with by an RFL Operational Rules Tribunal which will sit on Wednesday May 8.

If Salford are found to have breached RFL Operational Rules the Tribunal panel may consider a range of possible sanctions.  With limitation, these include a fine or in the case of a finding of misconduct which impinges on the integrity of the competition the deduction of competition points.

-ends-

John Ledger

Communications Manager

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#37 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

So basically if it is deliberate - points deduction, if it is a cock up - fine sufficient?

#38 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

So basically if it is deliberate - points deduction, if it is a cock up - fine sufficient?

As always, how can anyone possibly determine the intention? I think the rfl will make an example of us and dock us the two points. I can't honestly say I'd blame them, it's unprofessional at the very least.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#39 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

Just read on sky sports that a similar thing happen in SL n the team got a fine but when it happened in the NRL the team got a fine n the points deducted the NRL game finished 28-26 not sure of the SL score. Id guess the fact this game was stil in contention will go against salford
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA

#40 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

I've just thought up the answer to prevent this happening again - a member of each teams coaching staff should have an abacus with 13 black beads and 4 white ones (colours optional!) so they can slide them about to ensure only 13 players are actually playing.

A bit like a cricket umpire counting balls in an over with coins/stones :) :D

That is of course assuming they can count!

Edited by Roy Boy, 01 May 2013 - 10:29 PM.

Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users