Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

LEE BRIERS

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#61 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,937 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

Exactly why folk in Dewsbury,Batley don't have the same interest in the game anymore its cos they can see that their local clubs are getting shafted all the time and no chance of been at the top table.

Indeed

But should RFL/Clubs have refused the SKY contract?

#62 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,937 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

I'd agree with that.

What we don't know is how many people from Dewsbury and Batley continue their interest  in the game by following Leeds, Cas or  Wakefield.

The Bulls season ticket bus parks up in Batley every autumn apparently.

#63 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

Well it's not, because there's no money and little interest.

Your solution?

Well there seems to be more interest in Fev and, Fax than there is  in SL in London, and as much money at Fev as at SL Cas. There is more interest in those areas than there is at Salford, who are being touted as the next big thing.

When you male blanket statements, individual exceptions are invariably lost in the noise and a true synopsis of the facts is not apparent.

#64 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

That's the conclusion I come to as well.

But Hunslet say that CC1 will kill them off.

Maybe Swinton are of the same opinion?

Leeds will prop Hunslet up in cc1 just as they are doing in the Championship, they have to have somewhere for their surplus reserves to play, in just the same way as Wigan are propping up South Wales and the broncos are propping up the Skolars and Warrington are reinventing Swinton at Leigh. 

#65 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

The Bulls season ticket bus parks up in Batley every autumn apparently.

At last you've come up with a reason why the crowds are up in Super League but down in the championships.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#66 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:42 AM

Professional RL needs a total re-think to determine how a club from that area can compete to get entry in the top division.

You probably wouldn't like the potential answer though.

Is there any obvious reason why those two clubs need to be in the top division?

Not all clubs are going to be big enough to be competitive in Superleague. There needs to be a good, competitive league at a level that fits clubs like Batley.

Last Friday night I went to an Aussie Rules game. Glenelg vs Sturt in the SANFL. A good night and a good game between two clubs that obviously are cherished by their community, operating at the next tier down from the AFL. About 5,000 there I should say. Really nice, friendly atmosphere at a lovely ground. Neither club will ever be in the AFL. I doubt that they want to be.

That's me.  I'm done.

#67 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,937 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:29 AM

Well there seems to be more interest in Fev and, Fax than there is  in SL in London

Of course there is interest in Fev, but do you think this is because all those fans think Championship rugby is great and they love watching Fev play it??

Where's the big interest in Fax?

You know full well the big crowd is about a club heading for Superleague so superleague is the draw.

You should also know full well that clubs who fail in superleague and lose all the time like Salford, London etc get low crowds.

So if Rovers went into Superleague without the money to compete and were losing every week what crowds would they get?

Remember Halifax's crowds dipping below 2000 in 2003 when they could not compete??

That's how it is and trying to make out Fax and Fev would do well on crowds compared to London and Salford just goes against how it is, i.e. reality.

Edited by The Parksider, 02 May 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#68 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,937 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

Leeds will prop Hunslet up in cc1 just as they are doing in the Championship, they have to have somewhere for their surplus reserves to play, in just the same way as Wigan are propping up South Wales and the broncos are propping up the Skolars and Warrington are reinventing Swinton at Leigh.

I'm pleased to get the facts from you once again.

I'm torn between what you say and what the boss of Hunslet who holds the purse strings says.

Maybe I should toss a coin here.

#69 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,937 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:34 AM

Not all clubs are going to be big enough to be competitive in Superleague. There needs to be a good, competitive league at a level that fits clubs like Batley.

Indeed but to get that competetiveness independent clubs have to borrow a load of Superleague players, and act as "A" teams. A league of independent championship clubs is possible if you drop the salary cap in the championship.

Now where have I heard that one before?

#70 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

'm sorry but you post is just dripping with patronising honey.

Is there any obvious reason why a team from the Heavy Woollen can't?

#71 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

Your own club was a club like Batley before somebody built a stadium in the town, and then a sugar daddy came along. 

#72 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,937 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:16 AM

Your own club was a club like Batley before somebody built a stadium in the town, and then a sugar daddy came along.

Oh dear Steve your in it now!!

#73 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

I'm damned if I know what Parky wants for the future of RL. It seems to change according to who he is replying to. Myself I would like to see RL strong and healthy at all levels, without lower level clubs having to turn themselves into A teams, and without clubs at any level having to rely on unrealistic short term finance.

I don't believe this will ever happen, though. In my more pessimistic moments I see RL 2030 consisting of 10 or even fewer pro clubs and nothing below that except amateur teams in the traditional areas. In my more optimistic moods I reckon it'll be the same disorganised short-term thinking mess it's always been, never dying but never becoming a truly big time sport (but always wanting to) and the same arguments will still be being had in the next century ...

#74 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

I'm damned if I know what Parky wants for the future of RL. It seems to change according to who he is replying to. Myself I would like to see RL strong and healthy at all levels, without lower level clubs having to turn themselves into A teams, and without clubs at any level having to rely on unrealistic short term finance.

I don't believe this will ever happen, though. In my more pessimistic moments I see RL 2030 consisting of 10 or even fewer pro clubs and nothing below that except amateur teams in the traditional areas. In my more optimistic moods I reckon it'll be the same disorganised short-term thinking mess it's always been, never dying but never becoming a truly big time sport (but always wanting to) and the same arguments will still be being had in the next century ...

I see 12 Super League clubs, below that a division of 10 to 12 clubs who are basically to be used and abused at the super league clubs discretion including the acquisition of their fan base, below that will be another tier that will also run the elite juniors and will include the likes of Oxford, Hemel, Skolars All Gold's and the NCL clubs who seem to be benefitting from RFL favouritism at the moment.

When all this is in place the rest of us can go back to being pub teams playing on a Sunday morning.

#75 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,937 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

1. I'm damned if I know what Parky wants for the future of RL.

2. It seems to change according to who he is replying to.

1. You may find out if you were to ask.

2. Given that I never debate the issue in terms of "what I want" how can it change?

Really odd post to make when you could just reply to me directly??

#76 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,715 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Warrington's former Welsh international captain Lee Briers scored a 60-metre interception try to help relegation-threatened Swinton to a precious 30-24 win over Whitehaven in the Kingstone Press Championship.

Briers, who was playing for the Wolves' partner club in order to gain match fitness after a three-month injury lay-off, was overshadowed by a polished performance from Whitehaven's former Wakefield stand-off Jamie Rooney but he supplied some touches of sublime skill that made all the difference.

Briers was involved in three of the Lions' five tries and picked off a floating pass by Whitehaven's Neil Thorman four minutes into the second half to score the crucial try that put the Lions two scores in front for the first time.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#77 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

Warrington's former Welsh international captain Lee Briers scored a 60-metre interception try to help relegation-threatened Swinton to a precious 30-24 win over Whitehaven in the Kingstone Press Championship.

Briers, who was playing for the Wolves' partner club in order to gain match fitness after a three-month injury lay-off, was overshadowed by a polished performance from Whitehaven's former Wakefield stand-off Jamie Rooney but he supplied some touches of sublime skill that made all the difference.

Briers was involved in three of the Lions' five tries and picked off a floating pass by Whitehaven's Neil Thorman four minutes into the second half to score the crucial try that put the Lions two scores in front for the first time.

I think Briers had a hand in all but one of Swinton's tries and orchestrated the side well. Rooney was decent, but I certainly wouldn't say he overshadowed Briers at all. I'd say Briers had a bigger impact on his team and the game than Rooney did.

#78 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

Hope we get him back again next week against The Bulldogs seeing as he didn't make the Wire squad of 19 for this week.

Chris Bridge , Adrian Morley and Rhys Evans should all be fit next week apparently

#79 Walter

Walter
  • Coach
  • 437 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

Hope we get him back again next week against The Bulldogs seeing as he didn't make the Wire squad of 19 for this week.

Chris Bridge , Adrian Morley and Rhys Evans should all be fit next week apparently

He couldn't be in the Wire squad this weekend as he can't play for Swinton and Warrington in the same weekend of fixtures

#80 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

Rugby league has now become a class society.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users