Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

lee briers

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

looks like he is playing for Swinton against our neighbours on Thursday,according to the Swinton page

Edited by bomber is god, 30 April 2013 - 04:02 PM.

COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#2 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,993 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

Cram the Warrington players in Swinton , cram em in !!!

#3 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

im sorry but wanting swinton to beat haven is crazy. i dislike haven and there fans as much as anyone but if swinton and donny lose this week and we win then it starts to cut them adrift and thats great news for all 3 cumbrian clubs. if haven can do us all a favour in beating swinton then so be it.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#4 town82

town82
  • Players
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

Good call, swinton to lose without bonus point

#5 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,993 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

I don't want haven ever , and I think it's better that whole bottom 9 stay really condensed together . The more involved in the relegation scrap the better . Better to have 9 than bet everything on 2 . If we take of business as we're capable of its all irrelevant and we can make than 9 just 8 rapidly .

Edited by DavidM, 30 April 2013 - 05:07 PM.

#6 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

I would never want shaven to win i hope swinton turn them over. Relying on two teams being cut off isn't good we just have to beat the teams around us. They'll winge like hell about the DR if they lose at swinton but the fact is its allowed and you just have to get on with it weather you agree with it or not.

#7 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

its simple teams below us lose, takes the pressure off, lets the boys relax and we play far better. everyone below us start winning, we panic, lose games that we shouldnt then were in big trouble.
lets say haven are at home to the team that are 13th a point below town on the last game of thd season, do you honestly hand on heart want haven to lose and put us in big trouble????
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#8 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,993 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

Either way lets be honest we just need to look after ourselves and everything else takes care of itself . I was being a big flippant but I don't mind who goes down as long as it ain't us , and I think we can start to be reasonably optimistic on that front . We can't really fret about things out of our control , but I do understand all the points made and the reasoning . But we just need to take care of our own business , I really see nothing to fear in this mini league and if we play well we win more than enough games to make any other scenarios none of our concern

Edited by DavidM, 30 April 2013 - 05:33 PM.

#9 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,993 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

Wonky if we're in that position we've got ourselves in big trouble !! And we're away at Halifax !!! We'll be secure by then , we're going the right way . The more games we play in this league the more comfortable we get in it . No demons here for us , there's other teams should be sweating more . ( He said hopefully ).
I just worry how DR will really kick in and influence things come the back end when teams are seeing disaster looming . With the alternative so bad , all the help available will flood into desparate clubs . Loans and DR etc .Haven might have 5 Saints players if things have gone belly up !

Edited by DavidM, 30 April 2013 - 05:52 PM.

#10 Marrafan

Marrafan
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

im sorry but wanting swinton to beat haven is crazy. i dislike haven and there fans as much as anyone but if swinton and donny lose this week and we win then it starts to cut them adrift and thats great news for all 3 cumbrian clubs. if haven can do us all a favour in beating swinton then so be it.

Wonky,

For once I agree with you. The sooner two teams can be cut adrift the better and the rest can concentrate on improving themselves without the added pressure. As for Briers and DR you can only play what's in front of you and if that's the rules so be it. As much as I totally disagree with this seasons DR it's no use whinging about it, we all knew from the start of the season. What it is doing is destroying the integrity of the Championship especially the way Swinton and Warrington go about it. As someone else said it could totally alter the run in to the end of the season if a number of clubs are in a relegation battle. It certainly does not favour the Cumbrian clubs who rely on developing locals more that clubs outside the county. 

#11 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

Wonky if we're in that position we've got ourselves in big trouble !! And we're away at Halifax !!! We'll be secure by then , we're going the right way . The more games we play in this league the more comfortable we get in it . No demons here for us , there's other teams should be sweating more . ( He said hopefully ).
I just worry how DR will really kick in and influence things come the back end when teams are seeing disaster looming . With the alternative so bad , all the help available will flood into desparate clubs . Loans and DR etc .Haven might have 5 Saints players if things have gone belly up !

I can also see that happening David and Its a worry . You see teams like Worky and to be fair haven trying to do the right thing by their players then there are the teams which keep the SL teams sweet . Swinton, Hunslet, Doncaster and Dewsbury spring to mind  - I wonder how it will play out come the end of the year when things are desperate and the DR players at them clubs have had sufficent game time with their home grown lads against a team which just uses it sporadically. A very good relationship with the SL partner could prove its weight in gold . This situation is far from ideal but its here this year and weve got to live with it and ultimately at the end of the season no one will care as long as they are not playing championship one rugby next year

Edited by wonderofwood, 30 April 2013 - 06:27 PM.

#12 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,837 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

The teams in the bottom 9 that have played most home games against their fellow strugglers are ones that need to be concerned.   Hunslet have played 6 home games and Barrow have played 5 at home and they are still in the mix with us, Haven, York who have played least home games and are unbeaten at home.   Town and Haven have played 2 home games and won both and York have played 3 home games against these teams and won all 3 plus beating Fev.   The otherside of their coin though is that they have lost everyone of the 4 away games they have played against fellow strugglers.

Hunslet, Barrow, Keighley and Swinton are going to have to start and win games away from home if they are to keep pace with the rest.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#13 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,993 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

Interesting Keith , and anything you pick up against the elite is a bonus . We bombed 3 points in the Sheffield / Batley games , ending up with only 1 when we staring at 4 . They would have been huge . It is all certainly very interesting and tense ! Good point there Wonder , how ever those clubs spin it its all about staying up this year , short term gain but no long term planning .

Edited by DavidM, 30 April 2013 - 06:44 PM.

#14 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

Interesting Keith , and anything you pick up against the elite is a bonus . We bombed 3 points in the Sheffield / Batley games , ending up with only 1 when we staring at 4 . They would have been huge . It is all certainly very interesting and tense ! Good point there Wonder , how ever those clubs spin it its all about staying up this year , short term gain but no long term planning .

unfortunately with the state of the game at the present moment with money being hemoragged everywhere there is no long term planning , its all about here and now and who will or wont survive. Its a sad state of affairs and until they get someone at the top of the game who is capable of bringing in some proper sponsorship then we will all be fighting to survive.

#15 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,993 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

Briers has confirmed that story . Don't you just love DR ! Oh Coxy is gonna love this the way he goes on about it !

Edited by DavidM, 30 April 2013 - 07:13 PM.

#16 Penola

Penola
  • 604 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

The teams in the bottom 9 that have played most home games against their fellow strugglers are ones that need to be concerned. Hunslet have played 6 home games and Barrow have played 5 at home and they are still in the mix with us, Haven, York who have played least home games and are unbeaten at home. Town and Haven have played 2 home games and won both and York have played 3 home games against these teams and won all 3 plus beating Fev. The otherside of their coin though is that they have lost everyone of the 4 away games they have played against fellow strugglers.

Hunslet, Barrow, Keighley and Swinton are going to have to start and win games away from home if they are to keep pace with the rest.

We (Huns) will start winning away games however we have been to Fev, Leigh, Fax and Batley so couldn't expect to pick up much there

Edited by Penola, 30 April 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#17 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,837 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

We (Huns) will start winning away games however we have been to Fev, Leigh, Fax and Batley so couldn't expect to pick up much there

My comments are only about matches with clubs outside the top five.    To date you have only played one match away against any of the other bottom 9 teams and everyone of these 9 are working on the principle of winning your home games, so you have a bit of work on your hands.    Where you only have 2 home games left against bottom 9 clubs, Doncaster, Dewsbury, Whitehaven and Workington have 6 such home games.

Edited by Keith T, 30 April 2013 - 08:05 PM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#18 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

Wonky,

For once I agree with you. The sooner two teams can be cut adrift the better and the rest can concentrate on improving themselves without the added pressure. As for Briers and DR you can only play what's in front of you and if that's the rules so be it. As much as I totally disagree with this seasons DR it's no use whinging about it, we all knew from the start of the season. What it is doing is destroying the integrity of the Championship especially the way Swinton and Warrington go about it. As someone else said it could totally alter the run in to the end of the season if a number of clubs are in a relegation battle. It certainly does not favour the Cumbrian clubs who rely on developing locals more that clubs outside the county. 

I think you and Wonky are right, it would be great to see a couple of teams cast adrift at the bottom. It's a bit of a predicament for most town fans this one. As much as a Swinton defeat appeals to us, the thought of haven winning on TV and having the choccy clones on here taking the **** because you are 6 points above us.........well it's a no brainer for me, so sorry marra it has to be ....come on you Lions..... even though they are taking the **** with the dual reg. B)

#19 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

Will we still be thinking the Lee Briers situation is ok if Swinton beat Haven and then end up above us? I certainly don't.
I don't want to see 1 single championship games result influenced by a player such as Briers. Don't care who they play for or who they are playing. As much as I'll laugh at Coxy squirming over DR - its wrong. We could be on the end of it at some point.

#20 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

We faced a Swinton team that had to grand finalists from last season in our first game and clubs are always going to want to use there partner clubs to bring back injured players that's just the way it goes, there squad is so small they cant function without Warrington giving them dual registration players. I don't find this anymore farcical than us having played two teams already that fielded Bobbie Goulding junior and with injuries I have no doubt there will come a time where we will need some big hitters from Widnes

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users