This Week's SL Back Chat

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,854 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

Stevo is ruining yet another Back Chat. He's so dated it's unreal. He has no idea how Twitter works yet is shoving his opinion on it. It's ridiculous. On top of that, he is completely struggling to put any logic to his arguments.

Andy Wilson should be a permanent fixture on this programme. Only one that speaks with a balanced view.
Posted Image

#2 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

Stevo is ruining yet another Back Chat. He's so dated it's unreal. He has no idea how Twitter works yet is shoving his opinion on it. It's ridiculous. On top of that, he is completely struggling to put any logic to his arguments.

Andy Wilson should be a permanent fixture on this programme. Only one that speaks with a balanced view.

I find Stevo unwatchable.  I have for a long long time.  

I used to despise Andy Wilson, but he's okay.  However I find his constant call for a reduced number of fixtures/teams in the top division boring in the extreme, and unlike him I pay to go to games and I'm happy with the number.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#3 Viking Ste

Viking Ste
  • Coach
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

I love the programme, like Chris Irvine / Andy Wilson combo, Stevo is there to provide a different argument and play good cop- Bad cop with Rod Studd, all in all quality TV, "it's as simple as that!"

Edited by Viking Ste, 30 April 2013 - 09:46 PM.

#4 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,117 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

I love the programme, like Chris Irvine / Andy Wilson combo, Stevo is there to provide a different argument and play good cop- Bad cop with Rod Studd, all in all quality TV, "it's as simple as that!"

Stevo doesn't provide in argument, he provides insensible contradiction, he is utterly clueless on the modern game and modern media. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#5 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:47 PM

I've yet to hear Stevo make a vaguely coherent/constructive comment.

He ruins an otherwise enjoyable show.

Playing devils advocate only works if you can come up with a convincing counter argument; Stevo isn't capable of doing this.

#6 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 923 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

Perhaps he should try a different tack, like a little chip over the top!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#7 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,854 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:37 AM

He must say "it's as simple as that" 20 times a minute.

No Stevo, YOU'RE as simple as that!
Posted Image

#8 TheChief

TheChief
  • Players
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:51 AM

My favourite stevoism is "Excetera and so forth"

He uses it all the time when he's clambering for something to say
Follow me on twitter @MalcHankey

#9 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:12 AM

He really is an embarassment to the sport.I have not heard him utter an intelligent or constructive word in the past 5 yrs.He has the most limited vocabulary of anyone on tv - I'm confused and furious that Sky won't get rid of him.

#10 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

As long as rod studd stays away from rugby league in general i'll be happy!!!!

#11 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

I keep making the point on every thread like this. Some of Stevo's ramblings now remind me of Eddie Waring from the documentary a while back.

He often doesnt answer the question asked and loses the point, hence bringing out a cliche as he has lost his flow.

Im not suggesting anything more than him being incompetent, but its a touch shocking at times when you listn to him.

#12 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

Always like Andy Wilson and Danny Lockwood on the programme.. The twitter thing with Stevo last night just about summed it all up. complete lack of knowledge on what it is and how it can benefit. Chris Irvine is starting to get on my nerves of late also, he never lets anyone finish a sentence, and always seems to talk over the end of anyone's point in the desperate attempt to get his point across next.

Barrie McDermott was great when he was on there recently and would like to see Baz take over Stevo's role.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#13 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,149 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

Stevo is an embarrassment to the sport.  The BBC ignore us. Too many forward passes get missed. The disciplinary is a joke. ITV NEVER mentions it, ever. No one loves the championship. SL clubs act in their own self interest. Crowds are down, clubs are going into admin, we are never ever going to beat Australia, there are too many second rate Aussies here, there are not enough good youngsters coming through, our good youngsters are deserting us to play in the NRL,  DR is ruining the game, licencing is a nonsense, bring back P and R, Nigel Wood is a joke, the RFL is a joke, SL is a joke..everything is a farce.......yada yada yada yada.....

Sometime, I really wonder why some of you bother. :angry:

#14 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

Always like Andy Wilson and Danny Lockwood on the programme..

Agree with Andy (although the earlier comment from someone else suggesting his opinion isn’t valid as he doesn’t pay into games is a little snotty. I’m more than sure he pays his way in other aspects)

Can’t agree with Danny Lockwood though. Only seen him on the show once, but in general I find him one of the most disagreeable people involved in the sport. His editorial stance in the other paper can be pretty antagonistic at times – there was a total hatchet job on Noble a week or so back which was unnecessarily vicious. Maybe he has been totally different on his subsequent appearances, but he comes across as a bitter bloke who can dish plenty out but can’t take much back in his writing

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#15 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:24 AM

Stevo is an embarrassment.

He's now getting the same stick as Eddie Eddie Waring which in hindsight was reactionary and ridiculous.

#16 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

Agree with Andy (although the earlier comment from someone else suggesting his opinion isn’t valid as he doesn’t pay into games is a little snotty. I’m more than sure he pays his way in other aspects)

Can’t agree with Danny Lockwood though. Only seen him on the show once, but in general I find him one of the most disagreeable people involved in the sport. His editorial stance in the other paper can be pretty antagonistic at times – there was a total hatchet job on Noble a week or so back which was unnecessarily vicious. Maybe he has been totally different on his subsequent appearances, but he comes across as a bitter bloke who can dish plenty out but can’t take much back in his writing

I'm sorry you found my comment snotty, the point that I was making that as a paying punter I wouldn't want a reduction in games. I have found the quality and accuracy of Wilson's output to be highly variable over the years, but in my opinion he's improved massively in the last couple of years.  Maybe his pieces are being slashed/edited less these day.

Chris Irvine I find to be negative, and fixated with the sound of his own voice.  He works for The Times, and this seems fitting as he follows their theme of deriding the game.  Lockwood I don't know much about, as I don't read the other RL paper.

I really wish they'd do more research about the topics about which they talk.  Barrie Mac I'm happy to hear talk about how the game is played and who is a and isn't a good player, but I don't want his half baked opinion on the game's structure as he's clueless. Simularly I don't want to hear Sadler, Irvine et al talk about tactics, training methods and game stats as they have very little concept of what it's like to be an RL player.  The key for me is getting them to do their research up front and to avoid giving Stevo any airtime at all.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#17 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

I'm sorry you found my comment snotty, the point that I was making that as a paying punter I wouldn't want a reduction in games.

Well that's fair enough - some paying punters do want a reduction in games, both opinions are valid. How much Andy Wilson pays in isn't really the issue and read like a dig for the sake of a dig.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

#18 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,149 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

I'm sorry you found my comment snotty, 

nooo!  Just a general rant about the negativity from some on here.

#19 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

Think it was more aimed at me John!

SQL Honours

#20 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,167 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

Sorry, who's aiming snot at who now?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users