Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Reds to bid for Dobson and Paterson?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:33 PM

http://www.thesun.co...-City-Reds.html

#2 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:52 PM

"and Uncle Tom Cobbley and all" :D

Edited by Roy Boy, 30 April 2013 - 11:53 PM.

Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#3 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,731 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:55 PM

Interesting.

I would go so far as to say Dobson is priceless to Rovers, if he leaves then they really are in trouble. 

The flip side is that Rovers are clearly already in a fair bit of trouble financially and if selling their star player gives them some breathing space then Hudgell may consider it.

Something else that may sway a transfer Salford's way is that Hull FC would dearly love a player of Dobson's calibre, I'd be surprised if Adam Pearson hasn't made at least a tentative enquiry, however Hudgell would obviously never sell him to us, so if Salford were to tie him up to a three or four year deal, that would be a way of at least getting one over on us.

And that is summat he's often rather keen to do.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#4 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:51 AM

Hudgell would never sell to us and I could never see Dobson wanting to come to us either, if he does go the other side of through pennines would be an easier move for him.

#5 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

Since the good doctor took over control at the Reds they have put out a lot of feelers for players. I have a feeling they might be successful with these 2.

#6 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

Too many rumours, too few hard facts to be honest.

FWIW, Paterson would add some more power to our still rather lightweight pack. Dobson, while he is a very good player, would probably add something but would certainly cost our promising youngsters a place in the starting 17. Okay, the kids probably aren't quite ready yet, but they never will be if we keep playing older players in their positions. How long before they start looking for a move to get some game time?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#7 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

Been coming and would really spell the end of us as a Super League proposition if it pans out. I'd bail if we lose either or both. Having said that, they'd be my 2 priority targets if I were Dr K.

Rich and newly rich sides hovering around the carcasses of rotting clubs. Oh dear oh dear Super League, whenever will you learn?

#8 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

Down to clubs to keep hold of their best players,have sustainable business models,NOT blame everyone else.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#9 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

Part of me actually hopes this comes off and puts me out of my misery. I want to be either in or out - the whole hierarchical struggle of following a "sell to survive" club is just draining. Then I can go and watch NRL as one of Bill Simmons "atheists" and enjoy genuinely competitive, financially sound RL.

#10 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

Part of me actually hopes this comes off and puts me out of my misery. I want to be either in or out - the whole hierarchical struggle of following a "sell to survive" club is just draining. Then I can go and watch NRL as one of Bill Simmons "atheists" and enjoy genuinely competitive, financially sound RL.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

#11 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

Down to clubs to keep hold of their best players,have sustainable business models,NOT blame everyone else.

As a fan of a pro sport team I shouldn't have to even know what a business model is.

Wait until Leeds lose a player or players to someone higher up the SL hierarchy and then we'll talk. Oh hang on, there isn't anyone higher up is there? Funny that.

#12 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I won't.

Enjoy your increasingly hollow GF wins. At least Salford maybe makes it 4 teams that could beat you after next season, as opposed to 3. Ooh! Nervy stuff eh? Sure you've the stomach for it?

Edited by DeadShotKeen, 01 May 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#13 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

I won't.

Enjoy your increasingly hollow GF wins. At least Salford maybe makes it 4 teams that could beat you after next season, as opposed to 3. Ooh! Nervy stuff eh? Sure you've the stomach for it?

I'm not bothered about GF wins,I supported Leeds when they were virtually bankrupt,I didn't whinge,I didn't moan.I supported my club.I shall support my club when the GF wins dry up.i shall support my club through good times and bad.Maybe it's a concept you should learn.

#14 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

Enjoy your increasingly hollow GF wins.

Eight of the players were Leeds lads nothing hollow about that?

#15 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

I shall support my club when the GF wins dry up.

Someone give this guy a medal.

#16 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

Talking to a Rovers friend of mine this morning and the rumours are rife about Mickey Paea going to Warrington next year.if they lost him as well as Dobson and Patterson then they really will be in trouble.

#17 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

As a fan of a pro sport team I shouldn't have to even know what a business model is.

Wait until Leeds lose a player or players to someone higher up the SL hierarchy and then we'll talk. Oh hang on, there isn't anyone higher up is there? Funny that.

Leeds constantly lose players but in the early days of SL they realised that a good junior system was required.Thats why they are now high up the SL hierarchy.

Someone give this guy a medal.

Grow up.

#18 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

The good thing is DSK, Hull have another team in Super League you could watch. If only the rest of us were so lucky.

B)  ;)

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#19 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

Leeds constantly lose players but in the early days of SL they realised that a good junior system was required.Thats why they are now high up the SL hierarchy.

A very good point that. Certain other clubs need to do the same and not rely on has beens and never was players from the NRL

#20 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

Michael Dobson and Corey Paterson are contracted until 2014. Everything else is just paper talk...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users