Moon to Leeds

Smith to Wigan

Myler to Warrington

#22 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:50 PM

do people actually believe what is written in the ####???
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#23 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,723 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

As a fan of a pro sport team I shouldn't have to even know what a business model is.

Wait until Leeds lose a player or players to someone higher up the SL hierarchy and then we'll talk. Oh hang on, there isn't anyone higher up is there? Funny that.

You don't have to know if you don't want. The people running your club do though, and if they need to sell to balance the books then fine, things are the same as they always have been.

If you don't want to know about the business side, just ignore it and watch whoever turns out for you in red and white.

#24 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

Contracts mean nothing,

Holdsworth to Hull

Moon to Leeds

Smith to Wigan

Myler to Warrington

The do, a player can't just walk out on a contract. Rovers would receive compensation should any side come in for our players, ala Green and Taylor.

I can't see either deal materialising. You will have to look elsewhere :)

#25 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

Sport in some clubs are bigger than others shocker! Every major league in football has been dominated by the same clubs for years without any detriment. Only in rugby league do fans moan about it. Having four or five out of fourteen who could be potential champions is a good ratio. Even if all the clubs were superbly ran and making a profit someone would have to come last and would be open to players moving on.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#26 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

Michael Dobson and Corey Paterson are contracted until 2014. Everything else is just paper talk...

Which means Rovers can command more cash through transfer fees which they won't be able to a bit further down the line.

Untitled_zpsd0bda754.jpg

_60052630_bentham.jpg    "Forward pass, head and feed to New Zealand.....What's that Mr Sutton?, no we can't go to the f***ing video ref!"

#27 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:54 PM

Which means Rovers can command more cash through transfer fees which they won't be able to a bit further down the line.

It is all circumstantial of course and there are many factors to consider: will we receive significant financial investment, will we offer Sandercock an extended deal, will we make the playoffs this year.

I hope the answer to all of these questions is a big fat yes but you just never know.

#28 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

If you don't want to know about the business side, just ignore it and watch whoever turns out for you in red and white.

But that would make me gullible and I'm not gullible. I do know about the business side, just by absorbing a lot of sport and being, you know, inquisitive. So I can't ignore it. But I shouldn't have to worry about it, or follow its lead. I grew up following Hull KR but I'm not bound by oath to do so blindly. If we sell Dobbo and/or Paterson to balance the books (2 of only 4 genuine calibre players we have I turn up to watch), then what really is the point of it all?

All threads on here really lead to one conclusion just now - Super League needs a reality check.

#29 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

But that would make me gullible and I'm not gullible. I do know about the business side, just by absorbing a lot of sport and being, you know, inquisitive. So I can't ignore it. But I shouldn't have to worry about it, or follow its lead. I grew up following Hull KR but I'm not bound by oath to do so blindly. If we sell Dobbo and/or Paterson to balance the books (2 of only 4 genuine calibre players we have I turn up to watch), then what reall
y is the point of it all?

All threads on here really lead to one conclusion just now - Super League
needs a reality check.

To be honest I think it's you who needs a reality check. You say you understand how it works because you follow sport. Then seem surprised that a cashed up teams looking to take the best players from teams struggling for cash. I'm afraid that's just how pro sport works.

#30 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,496 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

Sport in some clubs are bigger than others shocker! Every major league in football has been dominated by the same clubs for years without any detriment. Only in rugby league do fans moan about it. Having four or five out of fourteen who could be potential champions is a good ratio. Even if all the clubs were superbly ran and making a profit someone would have to come last and would be open to players moving on.

The aim has always been all clubs can spend the same so coming last would not open up the bottom clubs playing roster to raids.

Besides who wants to sign players who came last?

Unsure here but what happens in the NRL? Does the bottom club get shorn of their best talent every year?

#31 raceman

raceman
  • Players
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

Brown to Widnes

Contracts mean nothing,

Holdsworth to Hull

Moon to Leeds

Smith to Wigan

Myler to Warrington

#32 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

Sa

The aim has always been all clubs can spend the same so coming last would not open up the bottom clubs playing roster to raids.

Besides who wants to sign players who came last?

Unsure here but what happens in the NRL? Does the bottom club get shorn of their best talent every year?

Salford haven't had a good side for a while but often have players wanted by bigger clubs.

it isn't so much that the worse sides get shorn of talent but more that certain clubs will always be more attractive than others. If I played for Parramatta and melbourne came in for me I'd be tempted as I reckon I'd have more chance of winning things. Likewise if Brisbane came in as they have a good history and play in front of huge crowds. Using football again, man utd will always be more attractive than city as the history and crowds are there. no matter the money on offer. Equal money obviously helps level the effect but the likes of wigan and leeds will always be bigger clubs than most.

"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#33 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,288 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

Part of me actually hopes this comes off and puts me out of my misery. I want to be either in or out - the whole hierarchical struggle of following a "sell to survive" club is just draining. Then I can go and watch NRL as one of Bill Simmons "atheists" and enjoy genuinely competitive, financially sound RL.

Sell to survive was the way for a hundred years until the Bosman Ruling, strangely enough, in 1995.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#34 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

But that would make me gullible and I'm not gullible. I do know about the business side, just by absorbing a lot of sport and being, you know, inquisitive. So I can't ignore it. But I shouldn't have to worry about it, or follow its lead. I grew up following Hull KR but I'm not bound by oath to do so blindly. If we sell Dobbo and/or Paterson to balance the books (2 of only 4 genuine calibre players we have I turn up to watch), then what really is the point of it all?

All threads on here really lead to one conclusion just now - Super League needs a reality check.

As relative newcomers to SL, I think you should give HKR more time - let's face it, until Hudge started piling in the cash, they were destined to remain 2nd grade.
Or don't you trust him now that the garden isn't quite so Rosey? :O

Edited by Roy Boy, 01 May 2013 - 10:39 PM.

Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#35 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:10 AM

As a fan of a pro sport team I shouldn't have to even know what a business model is.

Why shouldn't you?!

Seriously, you just moan about the game and your club. You b*tch about Leeds fans winning trophies all the time, but refuse to watch your club during the hard times. You are the type of fan the game could do without to be honest. Doom and gloom. Never able to be pleased. Spreader of the negative.

I'll join the "don't let the door hit you on the way out" group. More fans may watch our game when the negative nancies leave to go find where the grass is greener.
Posted Image

#36 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,496 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:41 AM

Salford haven't had a good side for a while but often have players wanted by bigger clubs.

it isn't so much that the worse sides get shorn of talent but more that certain clubs will always be more attractive than others.

Yes sir, quite agree that all salaries being even the top players will then want to play for the trophy winning clubs.

but currently players move up because they can get more money. If all clubs spent the cap as you say quality players may move for the trophies, the next hurdle to jump would be the need to develop more quality players than we do, where the young guns pressure the older players, rather than what we have where a top player can follow a 15 year career and still be highly in demand as he approaches his 40's!

#37 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:14 AM

Yes sir, quite agree that all salaries being even the top players will then want to play for the trophy winning clubs.

but currently players move up because they can get more money. If all clubs spent the cap as you say quality players may move for the trophies, the next hurdle to jump would be the need to develop more quality players than we do, where the young guns pressure the older players, rather than what we have where a top player can follow a 15 year career and still be highly in demand as he approaches his 40's!

Well, I suppose the first hurdle is financial stability, so I'll let you have "next hurdle", but to me it is essential to any club. My club haven't exactly performed on this front in the past, but this year our team is packed with our own "young ones" and I am really happy about this. I am proud of this team, even though we are losing most weeks. I know they got their chance because of exceptional circumstances, but they got their chance and they're doing their best and I'm enjoying it. Ideally, I want a Salford team full of Salford-developed players. (We do need a few 'outsiders', though - we'd be sunk without Gleeson and Griffin in particular at the moment).

I don't think I'm alone in this. Which are the two best-supported teams in RL at the moment? (Wigan and Leeds?) Which teams have the highest proportion of 'home-grown' players at the moment? (I'm not sure, but I'd guess Wigan and Leeds?) Of course, it could just be coincidence. Or not!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#38 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,496 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

I'm not gullible. I do know about the business side, just by absorbing a lot of sport and being, you know, inquisitive. So I can't ignore it. But I shouldn't have to worry about it, or follow its lead. I grew up following Hull KR but I'm not bound by oath to do so blindly. If we sell Dobbo and/or Paterson to balance the books (2 of only 4 genuine calibre players we have I turn up to watch), then what really is the point of it all?

I don't agree with your conclusion at all, but I also don't agree you should shut the door on your way out. I understand the point your making.

I started watching Hunslet at a time when our 1965 Wembley squad was breaking up. Leeds took Ramsey and Eyre to help that process. By 1973 we were bust and closing down, but the club was resurrected. Leeds took our two best players Marshall and Sanderson to hamper that process. We then struggled for credibility with the local junior scene and the best just went to the top clubs. Leeds took Heron and eventually Schofield.

Even so there were great times. 1976-1996 we were in the top division three times, and we collected some great scalps including Leeds, Saints, Widnes (in a cup game) a double over Wigan and away wins at Fev and Cas. Junior players started to sign again and we had Skerret, Nickle and Jimmy Lowes for a time before they had to take the bigger money. Jimmy to Leeds.

Post 1996 we had our "destination Superleague" period culminating in winning promotion following in the steps of Wakefield and Hull. But the rest was history and decline to 150 old men voting to keep things alive followed by an abandonment of any ambition and enslavement as Leeds "A" team.

I agree that you moaning about your club losing it's best two players is a bit rich when so many of us have had to endure that for the last several decades, but your not daft and I think you can see where this process will most likely go, and it won't be the fantasy fans idea that in the Championship you will "re-build" for Superleague, because the record of the championship is clear, one of stagnation, decline, and dependance.

It was never going to be anything but that once the best part of £20,000,000 a year was going to be given to an elite, and the rest would not only get nothing, but be barred from that Elite. Entry is now merely by Millionaire benefactor and that's the only way you actually got in, Widnes got in and the only way Featherstone will manage it.

Where then for the 8,000 HKR fans? The 7,000 CAS fans? Where did the 4,000 halifax fans go? The 3,000 Oldham fans, 2,000 Leigh fans, or 1,500 Hunslet fans?? Some to Superleague, many through the door everyone seems to want to usher you out of, and that's a big price to pay.

But customers come and go and elite professional rugby league has gained the game far more more customers than it has lost to date. That's the reality that the Superleague clubs will check. People can do their own bluddy figures but IMHO if Cas and Rovers swap over with Toulouse and Fev come 2015, or if the former two drop out the customer base of Rugby League will still be seen as higher under the current set up than it ever was pre 1996, and the SKY contract tremendous compensation for the loss of fans and clubs as independant entities.

Indeed Adam Pearson will be rubbing his hands.

If you believe Superleague should alter to accommodate your club, then can mine have the same please??

Edited by The Parksider, 02 May 2013 - 08:33 AM.

#39 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,723 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:42 AM

So what's the issue here? A club may sell players so a fan wants out of the game? Seems a bit mard to me. Glad I didn't walk away from the game when Warrington had to sell Iestyn Harris and Paul Sculthorpe.

#40 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,496 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:53 AM

Well, I suppose the first hurdle is financial stability, so I'll let you have "next hurdle", but to me it is essential to any club.

Ideally, I want a Salford team full of Salford-developed players. (We do need a few 'outsiders', though - we'd be sunk without Gleeson and Griffin in particular at the moment).

I don't think I'm alone in this. Which are the two best-supported teams in RL at the moment? (Wigan and Leeds?) Which teams have the highest proportion of 'home-grown' players at the moment? (I'm not sure, but I'd guess Wigan and Leeds?) Of course, it could just be coincidence. Or not!

No coincidence at all IMHO.

If Koukash had his way your academy would be (via his cheque book) full of top class young players pretty quickly, it's just that they'd all be Wigan and Saints lads turning up because Kooky can pay them double.

The game lacks a junior base large enough to create 14 vibrant playing rosters where the old men are under pressure and the young guns provide the competitiveness to invigorate attendances, and help protect us from defections to richer sports/leagues.

This year looking at the starting SL squads....

There were two Wakefield born lads in Superleague.
There were five Warrington born lads in Superleague.
There were seven Bradford born lads in Superleague.
There were seven Huddersfield born lads in Superleague.
There were five Manchester/Salford born lads in Superleague.

To manage to make up their squads this year they had to mainly drag in scores of overseas players, and feed off the excess of Leeds and Wigan lads.

HKR by the way had more Hull born lads in their 25 than Hull........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users