Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Your Options

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#1 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:16 AM

There have been alot of unhappy comments and disillusionment from Oldham fans on here last few years (rightly so id argue), but its not going to change anything complaining on a forum. Seems its time to pick an option and out wheels in action, you ony live once and you dont want to spend your life upset at a rugby club and a certain persons way of running it.

Your Options as it see them are:

1) Basically Accept this is the way it is now either go and support that product

2) Turn your back on Oldham Rugby for good try and follow a new team or hobby.

3) Start a group (as Oldham Athletic fans did) and communicate with Rugby Oldham with an end goal of taking over the club and running it like Rochdale Hornets

4) Try and start a new Club however this would mean a risk of ending up like Bramley why would a 2nd Oldham club have any chance of making the Championship 1

But please as fans pick one and try and make it happen because im sick of reading the same garbage about the problems, people have eyes and ears they know what they are. Options 1 and 2 are easy to achieve. Options 3 and 4 are not as hard as people may think but come on now Its put up or shut up time, God bless you all.

“Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ―Muhammad Ali

#2 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

option 3 please

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#3 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

I'd be an option 3 person but the illustration of running it Rochdale Hornets doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

#4 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

iF YOU WANT OPTION 3 PICK A PUB PICK A DATE AND ORGANISE SOME NOISE SO FANS KNOW THERE IS A MEETING AND WHAT THE MEETING WILL BE ABOUT

#5 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

As a Batley fan, in the 80s and 90s Oldham was always a tough game and I used to dread us playing you guys - a great name in Rugby League and looking from the outside in it seems a real shame that the club has fallen on such hard times.

Not sure if this is of any help or not, but a squadbuilder fund revolutionised Batley and is still going strong today 10 years later - the website is www.bissa.co.uk - I can put you in touch with members of the committee if anyone is interested in finding out how to go about setting one up (if you havent already got such a thing).

Anyway, Hope you guys turn things around and best wishes in getting the Roughyeds back on track in the near future.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#6 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

I have to agree that it is time some big changes were made and option three seems to be the clear and obvious favourite. So how do we go about it? How do you get Chris Hamilton to walk away, especially as it seems ORLFC is his source of income? I don't know any of the above answers but I feel sure that there are people out there with more knowledge than I who could help and advise. All we need is a good backing of fans, the willingness to work together and the right people with the knowledge and connections to make it happen. So here's the challenge, if there are people out there who can facilitate the changes we desperately need then please come forward and lets all get behind them and help out in any way we can.

I don't know Chris Hamilton personally and I feel fairly certain that some of the criticisms I hear about him are fully justified while others are perhaps a little more personal, but things are not moving forward and it seems to me that as long as Chris Hamilton is in charge we are destined to remain exactly where we are while clubs with no history whatsoever will move on and play in divisions above us, which would be tragic.

One thing I do know, or at least think I do, is that when Bill Quinn was involved with Oldham we put together a very good squad that I have no doubt would have got us promotion, and I think we would have moved on from that. Unfortunately Bill left and we had to offload most of our most experienced players, and even then we only just missed promotion. Chris Hamilton took the blame for that and I have neither seen nor heard any real evidence to suggest that he was wrongly accused. I can therefore only say that he is lucky to be still in charge and it is time that he was in some way pushed out if he will not go voluntarily. If I knew how to do it I'd tell you but surely someone has ideas?

I do however feel that Rugby Oldham are somewhat lacking in coming forward with any proposals and if that is because Chris Hamilton will not enter into any form of discussion then they are perhaps as guilty as he in not giving the fans any information. My view however is that they are an obvious starting point so my second challenge is for them to get themselves involved if they have professional rugby in this town on their agenda and if they want it to survive.

#7 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

exactly....the last time alot of oldham fans felt change was needed RugbyOldham was formed....

its time for RugbyOldham stepped up imo

OLDHAM RLFC

#8 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

exactly....the last time alot of oldham fans felt change was needed RugbyOldham was formed....

its time for RugbyOldham stepped up imo

Completely agree but I've never thought they were interested (despite what the conspiracy theorists think on here!). They should at least ask the question of their members as they would need a mandate to change their aims/objectives.

Edited by sheddings69, 01 May 2013 - 01:37 PM.

#9 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,685 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

If you are going to go down the line of a Supporters Trust or an Independent Supporters Association a good place to start is with Supporters Direct.

Their website is http://www.Supporters-Direct.org

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#10 sheddingswasus

sheddingswasus
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

Keith
The Trust already exists under Supporters Direct and is the largest of all the Rugby trusts currently in existance. There are over 400 members.

Edited by sheddingswasus, 01 May 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#11 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

Rugby Oldham will have struggled with the lack of meaningful dialogue like the rest of us... Hard facts about the level of debt, costing for ground improvements, HMRC situation and how much is being trousered by the owner are all a mystery, and I expect deliberately so as its a train wreck and a "butty" and has been so post Bill Quinn.
What can Anyone actually DO in the situation and scenario that is current in ORLFC`s present "business model"

DIALOGUE DIALOGUE DIALOGUE with the Owner/Chairman has to happen, because now the on field product is (to quote other posters) BORING!

Would you invest anything in ORLFC without access to all the facts and figures?
I thought not!
So don`t blame Rugby Oldham He just will NOT respond at all.

My Opinion (not based on available facts, as they are unavailable and unobtainable).

#12 RunItOffAfi

RunItOffAfi
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

Reality check here, sad though it is. Hamilton doesn't have to do anything, speak to anyone or change anything. It's his club, he can do with it what he likes and still keep picking up his Chief Exec money from the RFL. As I see it, the only action which may force his hand is a complete boycott of all home games (not such a chore given the rubbish currently on display) to take the club into serious debt, probably resulting in an HMRC bill the club cannot pay and subsequent administration, then a new start. Clutching at straws and a last resort, I know, but what else is left to the people who really care about the club in this increasingly hopeless situation.

#13 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:10 PM

I have watched ORLFC since Larder on the wing (from the penny rush) the 86/87 entertainers, even Quinny`s team were good to watch. I went to the Law Cup at Rochdale, but until that man comes clean to (at Least) Rugby Oldham he`s having NOTHING off Me!

RunItOffAfi your post is about the size of the only option we have, and that is Tragic but he has had his chance!

#14 donquixote

donquixote
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

Rugby Oldham was not set up to take over the running of professional rugby in Oldham and to do that it would necessitate a change in its constitution. I am sure Rugby Oldham would be willing to work with any investor who wanted to supplant CH just as it is willing to work with CH, although that is extremely difficult because information is so hard to come by. 

I cannot see Rugby Oldham being in a position to take over/buy out the current club with the level of debt it is assumed to have. 

Were the current club to be liquidated that would create an entirely different scenario and I suspect Rugby Oldham would then be proactive in seeking to resurrect professional rugby in the town in conjunction with any interested parties out there.

#15 mackin89

mackin89
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

So can the members of Rugby Oldham vote to change the constitution, If there was a vote in favor in moving to make the club fan owned?

If the word can be spread to the large amount of people who dont attend due to Hamiltons ownership it will be the proof in the pudding if thats the only reason. If they do back a fresh direction then maybe the town can drag its Rugby league team off its knees.

Do any of the main trust members post on here?

#16 Roughyedz

Roughyedz
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:44 AM

Reality check here, sad though it is. Hamilton doesn't have to do anything, speak to anyone or change anything. It's his club, he can do with it what he likes and still keep picking up his Chief Exec money from the RFL. As I see it, the only action which may force his hand is a complete boycott of all home games (not such a chore given the rubbish currently on display) to take the club into serious debt, probably resulting in an HMRC bill the club cannot pay and subsequent administration, then a new start. Clutching at straws and a last resort, I know, but what else is left to the people who really care about the club in this increasingly hopeless situation.

In 4 or 5 years on this forum this is the BEST and most ( sounds daft ) CONSTRUCTIVE post ever ive read. . .  If the club goes under by the end of the season , maybe a new club/ owner can move ORLFC forward instead of backwards as it has been doing for the last 13 years 

Posted Image

#17 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:22 AM

you need the die hards on board for that too happen cos as long as the 300-400 keep turning up CH can keep running the club into the ground..

OLDHAM RLFC

#18 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

If you are going to organise a Boycott you have to carefull that you will be allowed to put a new team in Championship One. Do any memebers of ORSA post on here?

#19 thecrab

thecrab
  • Coach
  • 699 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:37 AM

Great post by RoytonRoughyed.

It's heartbreaking looking at our once great club struggling to compete in a league we would have annihilated years ago.

We need a fresh start. We need a change.

I'm all in favour of following Latics with a supporters run group with Rugby Oldham. Count me in. I also think a lot of the old support would return to back this because CH has his fair share of haters.

The big problem is getting CH to step down. I think pressure from an supporters association with RO will make him more determined to hold on.

I don't know the answer, I would have thought that if CH stuck on the Oldham v Wigan 87 video, took a good look at where we are now he might just saying he's done his best and its time to walk away.

I can't see it though.

#20 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:42 AM

he does'nt have to go back to 1987...our 2001 grand final....and every grand final we've played in since will show him how low we've dropped...

i have the up most respect for chris in all he's done for ORLFC since 1997.....but he took the club as far as he could several years ago and have gone backwards since....if he loves the club as he claims to do he either has to step aside...or at the very least give 50% of the club the Rugby Oldham...

Edited by roughyedspud, 02 May 2013 - 07:47 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users