Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Your Options

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#21 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 735 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:51 AM

he does'nt have to go back to 1987...our 2001 grand final....and every grand final we've played in since will show him how low we've dropped...

i have the up most respect for chris in all he's done for ORLFC since 1997.....but he took the club as far as he could several years ago and have gone backwards since....if he loves the club as he claims to do he either has to step aside...or at the very least give 50% of the club the Rugby Oldham...

Whats been done with all the Grand Final money earned over the past few years ?

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

#22 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

down a blackhole....obviously

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#23 BOLTON ROUGHYED

BOLTON ROUGHYED
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

Reality check here, sad though it is. Hamilton doesn't have to do anything, speak to anyone or change anything. It's his club, he can do with it what he likes and still keep picking up his Chief Exec money from the RFL. As I see it, the only action which may force his hand is a complete boycott of all home games (not such a chore given the rubbish currently on display) to take the club into serious debt, probably resulting in an HMRC bill the club cannot pay and subsequent administration, then a new start. Clutching at straws and a last resort, I know, but what else is left to the people who really care about the club in this increasingly hopeless situation.

I'm afraid to say that this is going to be my approach.

The standards have now fallen so low that I'm sure I can find something better to do with my Sunday afernoons, at least until their is a change......

I've said it before and will say it again......My plan is to put the money i would have spent, or a portion of it, away....I will continue to save this money until such time as their is significant change at the club.....Who knows, if enough like minded people do this, and the club does fold, we may be in a position to give any newly formed club a nice little cash injection. It might be a pipe dream but what else have we got at the moment?

#24 cluedo

cluedo
  • Coach
  • 415 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

after supporting orlfc home and away for a good while i made the decision three years ago that enough was enough, the only problem taking over from CH is that any potential owners would inherit the current debts, reputed to be well over 100k. If the current regime went bang, are there enough people interested to put money in 1000 x £100 = £100,000 think this could be achievable, whatever your thoughts are regarding CH i think everybody is in agreement enough is enough and it really is time to turn this club around.

#25 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

its nearer £300,000 i believe

OLDHAM RLFC

#26 mackin89

mackin89
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

I think a few of us should email/ txt in when he is on air tonight at radio manc see if we can actually get some answers from the horses mouth. Just hope the BBC actually read some questions out.

If rugby Oldham can go along the FC united route id back them and a fan initiative, instead of throwing £100 a year to a non cause like a lot are currently

Edited by mackin89, 02 May 2013 - 01:10 PM.

#27 donquixote

donquixote
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

I think a few of us should email/ txt in when he is on air tonight at radio manc see if we can actually get some answers from the horses mouth. Just hope the BBC actually read some questions out.

Excellent idea. Hope there are some takers.  

#28 mackin89

mackin89
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

il try to txt in, out at a meal though so i wont get to hear the response until its on i player

#29 SINGE

SINGE
  • Coach
  • 692 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:02 AM

There have been alot of unhappy comments and disillusionment from Oldham fans on here last few years (rightly so id argue), but its not going to change anything complaining on a forum. Seems its time to pick an option and out wheels in action, you ony live once and you dont want to spend your life upset at a rugby club and a certain persons way of running it.

Your Options as it see them are:

1) Basically Accept this is the way it is now either go and support that product

2) Turn your back on Oldham Rugby for good try and follow a new team or hobby.

3) Start a group (as Oldham Athletic fans did) and communicate with Rugby Oldham with an end goal of taking over the club and running it like Rochdale Hornets

4) Try and start a new Club however this would mean a risk of ending up like Bramley why would a 2nd Oldham club have any chance of making the Championship 1

But please as fans pick one and try and make it happen because im sick of reading the same garbage about the problems, people have eyes and ears they know what they are. Options 1 and 2 are easy to achieve. Options 3 and 4 are not as hard as people may think but come on now Its put up or shut up time, God bless you all.

“Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ―Muhammad Ali

Royton Roughyed, can I ask why you are using syntax like you and you have to, instead of we? Surely as a Roughyed its about us?

#30 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

Royton Roughyed, can I ask why you are using syntax like you and you have to, instead of we? Surely as a Roughyed its about us?

Because i have been to 10 games in about 10 years be a it wrong of me yet to start saying we but yes Oldham are my team. I would have much credit if i came from no where and started crying for change. This post isnt about me its about Oldham Rugby fans who love this club and want to see it thrive again.

Seems there are lots of people who would like to see it change but there arnt any ideas and there is no one will to take a lead.

#31 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

theres already a group,with 400+ members,in place to take the lead!!....

as it stands Rugby Oldham has as many supporters as ORLFC.....and more money!!!

OLDHAM RLFC

#32 mackin89

mackin89
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

So who do we contact Rugby Oldham?

#33 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

Would all those 400+ members turn up every week to games Spud? I doubt it.

I don't know what the answer is. but one thing for sure, Professional RL is going down the spout, and Oldhams problems are no different to 99% of clubs outside SL. Again, Leigh are in trouble, how many times is that in the past 10 years? Until the game changes, and proper frameworks put in place, then no matter what changed at Oldham, the fan base, the lack of revenue will always be a problem.

Oldhams best chance of returning to the top flight was in 2001, and unfortunately we built a good squad on a shoestring, whereas Widnes bought a team. We didn't build on that, but remember, we were dealt with the blows of OAFC trying to ruin us with Moore taking Harbin, putting the rent up to an astronomical level. From that, we have never really recovered.

Whoever wants to try and take it over, the costs of running a club in the professional arena are quite significant. And in these days of cut backs etc etc, it would need someone who wants to blow there money and see no return, and for one, could think of better ways of doing that.

#34 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

id suggest a majority of the 400+ are the "die hards" that turn up a whitebank so yeah i think they would....

and then the 400-500 that won't go purely cos of CH should come back too

Edited by roughyedspud, 03 May 2013 - 12:02 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#35 Budgie

Budgie
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

Reading this thread with interest.

I've been watching Oldham at Whitebank now only since we moved into the area about 18 months ago - so don't claim to know everything, just a few observations, from experience

I agree with the point Oldhamer makes in that running a club at this level is a very difficult balancing act - both in terms of financing and also what you are trying to be.

For me the club is always the supporters and volunteers - the business is the organisation that is the custodian of the hopes of the supporters.

What I imagine is very difficult for the current administration is trying to work out exactly what the club is trying to be, for that a simple strategy and milestones to get there can solve a lot of problems because you will then always have a direction and know what you are trying to achieve. I do not know the ins and outs of the current regime but the club does seem to lurch from crisis to crisis as this occurs it becomes habit and the norm - and actually it is a very difficult cycle to break until you get a break/investor/a set of circumstances that give you the space to actually get a strategy and direction down on paper and buy the wider club (supporters and stakeholders into it)

My view from the outside is this is the first thing that needs to happen -I do not envy the current administration its task - but a simple one page document stating;

Aspiration - to be a strong Championship club, competing on the field, solvent off the field and a source of pride to our community.

Milestones - 2013-15: Operation Championship: Getting there (this can incorporate both ground, team and community milestones)

2015-17: Championship consolidation

Resource required:

Partners involved:

This then relayed to supporters gives us something to hold onto - to plot our course against and to know exactly where we are against objectives at any given time.

My thoughts are (and again caveated with I don't know the ins and outs)that it is not necessarily a change in ownership but a change in the routine and thereby the mindset of survival and solving one crisis to be replaced by another.

It is also amazing what a solid dose of enthusiasm can do for an organisation.

It's easy to think that the world is against you when you're constantly fighting fires - this then puts a filter up in front of every situation you see.

Just my thoughts.

#36 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

Personally, if anyone thinks that as soon as CH walks away, our attendances will go to 1000+ needs to be breathalysed. Even clubs in the Championship with far superior facilities than ours, are just about hitting that.

#37 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

Ok there are 400+ ready to go. They need to take lead on this its the ONLY way it will happen. I know nothing about Rugby Oldham but this needs to go through them. What i will say is iv got £100 to put towards the club. Not much but its à start

#38 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

Lets bloody do this.

#39 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

500 people £5 pounds per month with a treasurer ORLFC through and through a person of utter personal and business integrity! anything could happen especially with the "non team player" out of the way, It might even attract investment ( business integrity and transparency).
Whether a takeover group of fans would get Hamilton to put the cards plainly on the table is another thing though...But it would show once and for all what sort of a man he is!

THINGS NEED TO BE IN THE PAYING PUBLIC DOMAIN, WITH NOTHING HIDDEN or COVERED UP one new dawn in 1997, look where we are! there is an irresistable swell for a new beginning to arrest this slow and secretive decline.

Edited by eclecticsheep, 03 May 2013 - 05:05 PM.

#40 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:08 PM

Personally, if anyone thinks that as soon as CH walks away, our attendances will go to 1000+ needs to be breathalysed. Even clubs in the Championship with far superior facilities than ours, are just about hitting that.

we averaged a 1000 or there abouts when we moved to whitebank.....

OLDHAM RLFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users