League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

03/05/13 - Bradford Bulls v Leeds Rhinos - KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Bradford Bulls (5 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

2. Leeds Rhinos (7 votes [58.33%])

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

Leeds look very good this season, I'm worried how good they look.

So far this season, pies and Leeds leading lights... Others miles behind, miles

#42 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

Wouldn't disagree

#43 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

Mcguire being a bell again......did he not get his oats last night?

#44 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

Hardaker's not exactly a rock in defence is he?

#45 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,982 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

Think Jamie Jones Buchanan should be picked for England on the basis if we're allowed to utilise the 'over run the ball but get away with the forward pass' play he does for Leeds.

#46 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

Leeds getting away with holding down, Bradford expected to morph back 10 meters before the tackle is competed.

#47 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

Lol at eddie and steve when peacock had his shorts pulled down......"not sure he'd be happy with that shot"......"aye, was a good tackle"

#48 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

Bradford won the second, fwiw. Kear is looking good.

#49 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

Except the first try every Leeds try came off the back of a penalty.

#50 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

Desperately disappointed. I blame Tim Roby again, he's a curse!

There are only so many times a slow start can be tolerated until something serious needs to be done. A quick look at the table suggests we're 7th in points against, yet up until this round we had 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 7th for missed tacklers, and 4th missed tackles in the team standings. We've also given away the most penalties and Elliott Whitehead is the most penalised player. These stats won't get you to compete week in week out.

Any positives include Elliot Kear getting a consolation brace of tries, he works his knackers off every week. Erm, I'm pretty sure we won the second half, yet again we compete after the half-time team talk. But as much as I think Cummins has done a brilliant job, I'm getting a little fed up with the poor start and poor defence by one or two experienced heads (Walker for one).

This title is between Leeds and Wigan IMO, they are streets ahead at this stage.

Right, I'll face this thread later on, too tired to tolerate any usual sniping!! I'll probably watch the game either tomorrow or later on, can anyone please confirm who went high on Ben Evans for his try? I couldn't tell if it was Peacock, or my initial thought of Delaney... or either. Cheers.

And well done Leeds. Took just about every opportunity and played some great rugby. Good to see them taking the season seriously.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#51 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

Did I see what I thought I saw?

Did Danny McGuire try gauging Heath L'Strange

#52 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:45 PM

Did I see what I thought I saw?

Did Danny McGuire try gauging Heath L'Strange

Didnt see that but he was being a niggly ###### tonight for some reason...

#53 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:24 AM

Same as the rest of Leeds, niggly spoiling team across the park and habitually allowed to get away with it

#54 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

To add to that, and at the risk of invoking the mods ire

Silverwood was not reffing this game with an even hand IMO.

#55 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,805 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

The better team won.

As has been remarked, we are so regularly a second half team trying to recover from first haf failings.

After the second Leeds try, we had given 12 points away in the first ten minutes because of powder puff tackling on our left side. I don't see the point in waiting half an hour till half time to tell the culprits off. A double substitution would have been more effective.

I must congratulate Nick Scruton for a much improved performance; it was like going back three years.

Both Elliots played well and Ben Evans is going to be a great workhorse prop. Jarrod Sammut was my Bulls Man of the Match.

On last night's Leeds  performance:

- Kallum Watkins is the real deal

- Best I've ever seen Brett Delaney play

- As ever, Rob Burrow causes us real problems

- McGuire looked to me like a man who is bitter because his power to influence a game is waning.

- Congratulations to Kevin Sinfield, he ran his gob to water.

Richard Silverwood was nowhere near as bad as I expected. Lenient for both sides. No complaints.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#56 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

Richard Silverwood was nowhere near as bad as I expected. Lenient for both sides. No complaints.

As a neutral, I disagree

#57 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

Well it's pretty much all been said.  Again a very slow start and some awful defending on the edges, particularly the left.  Some random thoughts from the game...

1. Leeds were able to get Ablet attacking Sammut too many times whilst I don't think we got Lulia on Burrow more than once.

2. We know teams are going to attack Sammut so we need to do something about it strategically

3. Having fought back and looking likely, Addy comes on and receives the ball instantly and just pumps it in the air.  Unstructured and unexpected kick, poor chase as a result, Hardaker catches, down field, try.  That was when the game went for me. 

4. Bailey was himself, Maguire is losing it, Peacock is starting to turn into a bit of a nob (which is a massive shame as I've great respect for the bloke)

5. Leeds were too fast  as a result of the PTB.  Unless we slow the ruck like them and Wigan then we're always going to be on the back foot.

6. Sinfield is a master.  No-one to touch him in SL for what he does.  No wonder he's 1st on the team sheet for McNamara.

7. If fit Donaldson must play at 13 above all others, we cannot afford not to have his tackling in midfield.

Maybe a bit early, and time to change my mind, but here's some thoughts on players after 14 games...

Release :  Walker, Lulia, Scruton, Diskin (plenty of wages there i'd have thought)

Sign : Blyth, Evans (Ha! We've no chance), Foster, Sammut, Langley, Addy, Donaldson, Murphy

Sign if cheap : Platt

Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#58 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,650 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

Cheers lads

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#59 matt newsholme

matt newsholme
  • Coach
  • 899 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Maybe a bit early, and time to change my mind, but here's some thoughts on players after 14 games...

Release :  Walker, Lulia, Scruton, Diskin (plenty of wages there i'd have thought)

Sign : Blyth, Evans (Ha! We've no chance), Foster, Sammut, Langley, Addy, Donaldson, Murphy

Sammuts already signed up for next year. Signed a two year deal last year.

#60 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

Everyones said everything I'd bother saying from a Bradford POV (well played Leeds BTW, very enjoyable stuff even if we were on the wrong end), so I thought I'd pick up on this.

I agree Walker should go, he's a liability in defence. Diskin should also be offloaded now. He's a wise old head and he's still got the RL brain, but the body just ain't doing it. For me, L'estrange was our Man of the Match by a country mile. Diskin did next to nothing in the first 20, and when Heath came on he was massively responsable at us getting anywhere near close to the Rhinos later in the game. The fact Cummins left Heath on for the rest of the match and just brought Diskin on elsewhere (loose forward?) later speaks volumes about what Diskin can (or can no longer) do in bigger matches. Similar thing happened at Headingley a few weeks back too.

Scruton I'd keep personally and I'd probably gamble on Lulia too. I thought he went well last season but I agree this year he's been lacking. You don't become bad overnight, but maybe it's something behind the scenes and he'd wwant to leave anyway.

Agree with all your keeps too - strangely this time last year I would have probably said get shut of Langley but he's had a new lease of life this year.

Anyway, onwards and upwards!

Edited by Amber Avenger, 04 May 2013 - 02:11 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users