most improved player this season

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Vikingste

Vikingste
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

From a Hull FC point it has to be Tom Lineham - this kid is scoring tries for fun and is definately one to watch :)

#22 Vikingste

Vikingste
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

Id agree with Lineham and Farrel and mention as someone else has Chris Dean from Widnes.

At times this year I have believed he could be International standard and could Lineham and Dixon at London, once he gets a better defence

#23 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

I'd vote for Brent Webb.  He's so much better now that he's out injured.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#24 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:07 AM

Liam Farrell

Best player in Super League - people on here get excited about what graham and burgess are doing in the NRL, let me tell you the Aussies will be more fearful of this lad, they only see Super League on the tv

Liam is head and shoulders the best second rower in the UK , the most MVP and improved player this year.

#25 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,843 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

Liam Farrell

Best player in Super League - people on here get excited about what graham and burgess are doing in the NRL, let me tell you the Aussies will be more fearful of this lad, they only see Super League on the tv

Liam is head and shoulders the best second rower in the UK , the most MVP and improved player this year.

I think you're in danger of letting your anti-Wigan bias cloud your judgement and damning Farrell with faint praise.

I'd go so far as to say that he's the best player I've seen in RL in my twenty years following the game, and would be surprised to learn that anyone on here had seen any better.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#26 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

I'd go so far as to say that he's the best player I've seen in RL in my twenty years following the game, and would be surprised to learn that anyone on here had seen any better.

What a ridiclous comment. He is nowhere near as good as Jon Wilkin or Jamie Jones-Buchanan, both certainties in the England team at the end of the year... ;)

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#27 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

I think you're in danger of letting your anti-Wigan bias cloud your judgement and damning Farrell with faint praise.

JB - Liam has been head and shoulders the best player this season, I'd have him at Warrington

What a ridiclous comment. He is nowhere near as good as Jon Wilkin or Jamie Jones-Buchanan, both certainties in the England team at the end of the year... ;)

GS - better than ablett :P

#28 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

Farrel will never be as good as Sir Kev the greatest RL player ever.

#29 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

For someone who supports Hull,it wasn't a very good attempt at fishing. ;)

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 06 May 2013 - 02:46 PM.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#30 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

Leeds to hull is approx 60 miles, has someone let rip??

#31 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:49 PM

Have Wigan been on tv that much this year? I dont seem to have seen too much of them.

Its a difficulty I have with these threads, I cant compare all the players so I couldnt say whether Farrell has been the best player.

He does seem to have picked up a fair few fans from the couple of articles about his lack of missed tackles. I wonder if people would even had realised had this not been pointed out.

#32 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,843 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

Have Wigan been on tv that much this year? I dont seem to have seen too much of them.

When a once-in-a-a-generation player like Farrell is plying his trade, you shouldn't have to wait for him to be on TV to watch him play.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#33 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

Genuine question about Farrell, bearing in mind I've said on here he is a contender for Man of Steel. His stats are fantastic, but how would he go in the NRL and would he be an automatic choice for England if he continues his form?
I'm not trying to say the NRL is amazing and SL rubbish, but I remember years ago Graeme Hick being described as a 'flat track bully'. Not saying Farrell is that, but what do people think?
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#34 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

Not sure about Farrell in the NRL - although his tackle success rate is excellent, he is far from physically dominant in defence. He is very effective as a running second row in SL, but he would be under sized in the NRL. Better for him to stay at Wigan in my view and see if he can play a role for England.

#35 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

Genuine question about Farrell, bearing in mind I've said on here he is a contender for Man of Steel. His stats are fantastic, but how would he go in the NRL and would he be an automatic choice for England if he continues his form?
I'm not trying to say the NRL is amazing and SL rubbish, but I remember years ago Graeme Hick being described as a 'flat track bully'. Not saying Farrell is that, but what do people think?

i dont think thats a fair benchmark for 'most improved'. He can only be compared to his peers and how he is doing, not what is happening in a comp on the other side of the world.

Let's not go down the route of challenging every bit of praise for a player with the 'could he do it in the nrl' question.

#36 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

When a once-in-a-a-generation player like Farrell is plying his trade, you shouldn't have to wait for him to be on TV to watch him play.

:biggrin:
Whilst im not doubting Farrell's improvement yhis year, some of the praise suggests ill be seeing someyhing very special on tv at Magic Weekend. The new Ellery perhaps?

#37 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

Best forward you've seen in 20 years or best player(any position)? Although I think he's a fantastic player and should be starting in the second row for England I'd still put andy Farrell, Paul Sculthrope above him at this stage. But he is only 22 and will only get better, the sky's the limit for him.

#38 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

:biggrin:
Whilst im not doubting Farrell's improvement yhis year, some of the praise suggests ill be seeing someyhing very special on tv at Magic Weekend. The new Ellery perhaps?

The ginger pearl? There will only ever be one ellery Hanley.

#39 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:26 PM

Oliver Holmes at cas for me

He's had a fabulous season so far
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#40 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

George Griffin at KR has been going well

Ben Cockayne maybe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users