Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

05/05/13 - Huddersfield Giants v Warrington Wolves - KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Huddersfield Giants (8 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Warrington Wolves (6 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

3. Draw (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

Ah well
We need another halfback to partner Brough, and very much missed Ferres and Wardle, but never really threatened

Wire far superior today alas

#42 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

Is that 7 successive dodgy refs v Wire then Ant :lol:

Not had a good one yet ;)

#43 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

:D My just text me he said Giants who are wel known as a niggly spoiling team got found out today :D

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#44 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,087 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

Ah well
We need another halfback to partner Brough, and very much missed Ferres and Wardle, but never really threatened

Wire far superior today alas

fair play

#45 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

A great win by Wire. Ominously purring along.

#46 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

New Yorkie bar being brought out for hudds fans. Sour grape flavour.
2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16
2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6
2011 League Leaders Shield Winners
2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

#47 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

:D My just text me he said Giants who are wel known as a niggly spoiling team got found out today :D

That was our reputation under, er, Tony Smith...just sayin ;)

#48 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,784 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

We've had some decent results of late and happily seem to be flying under the radar. Some more big games to come this month though, with the cup next week and then Hull FC and Saints at Manchester. Good times.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#49 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

We've had some decent results of late and happily seem to be flying under the radar. Some more big games to come this month though, with the cup next week and then Hull FC and Saints at Manchester. Good times.

Wire's forwards did the damage today, giving Myler & Ratchford a good platform also haveing both Ratchford and Myler playing well as pivots was hugely the difference. Brough can only do so much alone in these games and Robinson has been off form of late (Grix just isnt a stand off at all alas)

If I was a Wire fan I'd be having a word with Atkins on his passing skills though...

#50 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,784 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

If I was a Wire fan I'd be having a word with Atkins on his passing skills though...

There was a short period in 2011 when he seemed to have sorted this out, but he seems to have backslid (?) since. Definitely an issue he has.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#51 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:31 PM

Thaler was dreadful, ( what's new) Brough did get Westwoods elbow in the mush, Apart from that Warrington were different class, The forwards just more or less ran over the top of us, We were very poor but that's not why Wolves won, they won because they gave our pack a beating. they were just so much better it was easy for them to make lots and lots of metre's on every set. The halves plus Higham had good games controlling everything. Brough tried hard to keep them penned back , but it don't work if your forwards are not prepared to graft, Not much in the backs, but the forwards another story all together, I would expect P Anderson to be having a serious word.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#52 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:28 PM

Beggar.

Edited by longboard, 05 May 2013 - 11:35 PM.

#53 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:34 PM

Beggar.

#54 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:01 AM

I've been very worried this season, not playing as a team, too many players not being on their game........ It seems slowly, slowly approach this season.

Interesting enough, Wires are only one point worse off after 14 games than last year.

Last year defeats to KR, Saints, Leeds and Salford
This year defeats to KR, saints , Leeds and widnes - draw with Wigan

What will happen in this years Super League??

Our sport is GREAT!!

Happy bank holiday weekend folks

#55 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

I do wonder whether the Giants will sustain their excellent start to the year. It's eminently possible, and I have not seen enough of them to comment with authority, but history suggests there could be a drop off at some point.
Which could leave 3 seemingly event matched sides fighting for the 3 big prizes. Given that Wigan weren't even supposed to be in the top 8, according to some experts, they have certainly exceeded my expectations thus far, but Leeds look very very strong indeed. Our 2 games with them may well decide the League title.

#56 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

Maybe indeed

One thing that I would add to the mix is that I think the Giants (as a whole club) seem to have both eyes on next weeks cup match, if we'd have been playing a championship club all our players missing today would have been playing - and we hugely missed Ferres and Wardle down our left flank

Fielden has been a big miss for us too, added real leadership and enthusiasm in the pack

As for us dropping off - barring our win against Leeds I genuinely don't think the Giants have played to their very best yet this season.

#57 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

Thaler was dreadful, ( what's new) Brough did get Westwoods elbow in the mush, Apart from that Warrington were different class, The forwards just more or less ran over the top of us, We were very poor but that's not why Wolves won, they won because they gave our pack a beating. they were just so much better it was easy for them to make lots and lots of metre's on every set. The halves plus Higham had good games controlling everything. Brough tried hard to keep them penned back , but it don't work if your forwards are not prepared to graft, Not much in the backs, but the forwards another story all together, I would expect P Anderson to be having a serious word.

Thaler was poor, for both sides.

#58 TBC

TBC
  • Coach
  • 756 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:03 AM

Wire by far the better team today especially in the forwards. They seem to exude the same confidence / composure that I remember the Giants had when B. Hodgson was our full back. Just felt Wire were in cruise control and could have stepped up a gear if required.

One thing that annoys me is the Giants always seem to drift sideways and backwards when Wire attack our flanks which is as good as giving them the points - they seem like rabbits caught in the headlights. Brett Hodgsons try summed it up for me - we just let him run at us an he virtually fell over the line. He's a class above so maybe he just makes it look easy.

#59 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

I really enjoyed the match yesterday. I thought the second half was a bit flat but the first was fantastic entertainment.

I thought our forwards were magnificent, particularly Carvell but nods also to Cooper and Waterhouse. Micky Higham also really stepped up a gear, Hodgson was back to his best and Ratchford was a nuisance throughout.

I don't want to talk about the ref as he was a bit off the mark for both sides, but he didn't affect the outcome. I thought we were awesome in that first half, both in defence and attack.  Great stuff and a really good atmosphere too.

#60 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,087 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

It was a very pleasing result for us as we seem ti be hitting some form without a fair few first teamers now.

Bridge, J Monas, M Monas, Briers, Morley and Harrison will all make that team even stronger.

Im sure Hudds had players missing too, but as a Wire fan the above players missing has often been critical for us.