League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Kingstone Press Championship 1 - Round 4

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Which game are you most interested in? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Which game are you most interested in?

1. Gateshead Thunder v Gloucestershire All Golds (2 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. London Skolars v South Wales Scorpions (3 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. Oxford v Hemel Stags (6 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. Rochdale Hornets v North Wales Crusaders (7 votes [38.89%])

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,551 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:01 AM

Discuss all this week's games here:

SUNDAY 5 MAY

Gateshead Thunder v University of Gloucester All Golds   KO 15:00 (at Blaydon RFC)
London Skolars v South Wales Scorpions    KO 15:00
Oxford v Hemel Stags    KO 15:00
Rochdale Hornets v North Wales Crusaders    KO 15:00

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 MR51CUK

MR51CUK
  • Players
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

Massive game at Rochdale this week. Rochdale really need to get the win so they're not too far behind Crusaders if they're to stand any chance of winning the league.
It will be interesting to see how many duel reg players get sent.

#3 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

Can't wait for this one now. I think Rochdale will be more dangerous for having lost at Scorpions, and still believe this is Crusaders' most difficult game of the league season. However, I think man for man, Crusaders are a better side. I can see crusaders recording their first draw. Having a few ex Rochdale men in the Crusaders team will add spice and as for dual reg, well, I expect Saints are still a bit peeved that Crusaders had the nerve to turn down a dual reg partnership with them. Roll on Sunday.

#4 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

Some good fixtures this weekend. Obviously Rochdale vs Crusaders is the stand out match but with both Gateshead and Gloucestershire looking for their first win, that should be a good game plus the Skolars need to step up and get a win this week too.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#5 ThunderArmy

ThunderArmy
  • Coach
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

praying thunder get our first win on sunday v the all golds, 1st game hemel away we lost by 1point then got hammered away at crusaders, 1st half we played well 2nd crusaders to good and in my opinion crusaders will win this league so getting hammered off them I expected, now all golds at home they beat us 18-16 at home in rail cup we scored 4 trys to there 3 trys though missed conversions cost us that game, if we can win this game we'll have 4 points from a possible 9 points and that would be great for us and something to cheer for our small but really loyal fans, come on thunder we can win sunday!!

#6 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

off to Stags at Oxford (seats available on team coach, come along and cheer 'em on!),hopefully Hemel will record a win and it'll be 4 wins out of 4. Big big test for them though against a team full of experienced players at this level.

Hope the long suffering Thunder fans get a league win but it'd be nice for the All Golds to get a bonus point as travelling that far for a semi pro game is pretty hideous! As for the other games, I'm not anti-Welsh but it'd be great if the Skolars could get their league season off to a start and that the Hornets can prove this year wont be a Crusaders procession to the title.

Cracking division so far, who needs Super League?

#7 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:19 AM

I really, really hope that Gateshead can win their game.  They need a win! 

I think the Cru will have too much for Rochdale even though in theory Rochdale should be one of the strongest teams in the league.

While I want the Scorps to do well, I'd like to see the Skolars get a win.  They were doing really well last season, almost making it to the play offs, and they need to build on that.  But I wouldn't mind really who won of these two.  It's just great to see them competing.

Stags -v- Oxford could be the game of the round as two of the noobs tackle each other.  I don't mind which team wins.  I hope they give the crowd a great match to get behind.

#8 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

I really, really hope that Gateshead can win their game. They need a win!

I think the Cru will have too much for Rochdale even though in theory Rochdale should be one of the strongest teams in the league.

While I want the Scorps to do well, I'd like to see the Skolars get a win. They were doing really well last season, almost making it to the play offs, and they need to build on that. But I wouldn't mind really who won of these two. It's just great to see them competing.

Stags -v- Oxford could be the game of the round as two of the noobs tackle each other. I don't mind which team wins. I hope they give the crowd a great match to get behind.

cannot disagree with much of that, Rochdale v crusaders should be a thriller and go a long way to determining how competitive Rochdale are. Back Gateshead to get the win and think that Oxford will give Hemel their first loss. Skolars will start shooting up the league after victory v south Wales.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#9 Swansea Jack

Swansea Jack
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

Scorpions are a youg squad and lack the physcal prescence and experience of some other teams.  For the first 30 mins against Rochdale we were very good. But as the game progressed the effort of tackling began to tell and we tired and made mistakes. But we should improve as the season unwinds. Come on Wales.

#10 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

Kingstone Press Championship One

Sunday May 5th

Gateshead Thunder v Gloucestershire All Golds (3.00pm)

Jarrad Williams could be included in Kevin Neighbour’s Gateshead Thunder squad as they prepare for the visit of Gloucestershire All Golds on Sunday.

Neighbour was encouraged by his pack’s display against North Wales last week, insisting there are plenty of encouraging signs for the Thunder.

Neighbour said: “We had a good dig last week and our pack is getting better and better every week.”

He added: “Getting a result from any game is achievable in this competition, as has been proven already this year.

“Everybody else is very capable of beating everybody else. This is a definite opportunity for us to get three points, take a step forward and start looking up the table rather than down.”

All Golds coach Brad Hepi is aiming for his side’s first victory in Kingstone Press Championship One.

London Skolars v South Wales Scorpions (3.00pm)

London Skolars coach Joe Mbu has a fully fit squad to pick from after three weeks without a competitive game.

Mbu said: “I’d have preferred us to have been playing, but we’ve made good use of this time. We’ve looked at a few things we needed to work on and been able to train hard without the added worry about whether people are fit for each weekend.”

On the Scorpions, Mbu said: “Every team will look to improve as the season goes on.

“I never underestimate teams and every time we play someone we know they’ll be stronger than the last time we played them. We’ll give them all the respect that’s due.”

Courtney Davies returns to the South Wales Scorpions squad after missing last week’s win against Rochdale Hornets through injury.

South Wales coach Dave Clark said: “Our structure is now there and we showed against Rochdale that we can compete against the sides that are tipped for the top.

“We’ve only been in the competition for three years and some of our guys have only played rugby league for two or three years, so we’re learning all the time.”

He added: “Playing London at their place is always a very tough game, no matter where they are in the competition.”

Oxford v Hemel Stags (3.00pm)

Brett Robinson, Danny Halliwell and Martin Roden are all expected to feature for Oxford, despite the trio being withdrawn in the final quarter of last week’s win over Oldham as a precautionary measure.

Oxford coach Tony Benson has only two injury absentees – JJ Baird and Alex Thompson – as he tries to plot the end of Hemel’s 100 per cent record in Kingstone Press Championship One.

Benson said: “I’ve been impressed by how Hemel have started, but I haven’t been surprised. They were top of their division last year, they’ve got some strong dual-registration players and Troy Perkins is a very capable coach.”

Jack Molloy (thumb) remains sidelined for the Stags ahead of a month that Hemel coach Troy Perkins believes will reveal much about his side.

Perkins said: “It’s still the honeymoon period at the moment, but we’ll know a bit more about how we’re going by the end of May.”

He added: “The majority of Oxford’s squad is experienced at this level or higher and that’s something we maybe lack, but hopefully Gareth Honor and Jermaine Coleman will help on that front.”

Rochdale Hornets v North Wales Crusaders (3.00pm)

Rochdale Hornets coach Ian Talbot knows the importance of Sunday’s Kingstone Press Championship One fixture with North Wales Crusaders.

Talbot said: “It’s not far from being a must-win game if we want to get anything out of this season.”

He added: “You’d expect North Wales to be the team to beat this year. They’ve cherry-picked the best players from the competition from the past few years, and we’re under no illusions about how tough they’ll be.”

Hornets’ only injury concern is Alex Trumper, who is struggling with a knee injury.

Crusaders coach Clive Griffiths has warned his side against complacency after their impressive start to the season.

Griffiths said: “If we don’t come out all guns blazing I’ll be a bit disappointed.

“We’ve made a good start, but my feet are on the ground. We can’t get ahead of ourselves. We’ve got 13 tough games to go, so it’s daft to start thinking ahead. That’s a dangerous game.

“We’re in the final of the Northern Rail Bowl and top of the league, but I know it can turn on its head. You’ve got to keep working and moving forward. We’ve won a few battles, but the war is still raging out there.”

Edited by John Drake, 03 May 2013 - 12:45 PM.

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#11 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

I really, really hope that Gateshead can win their game.  They need a win! 

While I want the Scorps to do well, I'd like to see the Skolars get a win.  They were doing really well last season, almost making it to the play offs, and they need to build on that.  But I wouldn't mind really who won of these two.  It's just great to see them competing.

Stags -v- Oxford could be the game of the round as two of the noobs tackle each other.  I don't mind which team wins.  I hope they give the crowd a great match to get behind.

So, you want Gateshead to do well, but also the Scorpions, the Skolars, and you don't mind which out of Stags or Oxford win their game.

Which is pretty well where I am with this league. I want the three newbies to do well, Skolars and Gateshead because they have extended the game to the lengths of England, Scorpions and Crusaders because they are helping spread the game to Wales. And I've always had a soft spot for Oldham.

Oh, and as you can tell from my name, I follow Hornets!

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#12 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

Crusaders have apparently "Cherry picked" the best players from the competition over the past few years. Really, Mr Talbot. I am sure we only started up last season. Maybe he is referring to the 3 players Crusaders signed from Rochdale last season. I wonder what made them want to leave a traditional club for a new side like that?

#13 PhilCarrington

PhilCarrington
  • Coach
  • 209 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

Crusaders have apparently "Cherry picked" the best players from the competition over the past few years. Really, Mr Talbot. I am sure we only started up last season. Maybe he is referring to the 3 players Crusaders signed from Rochdale last season. I wonder what made them want to leave a traditional club for a new side like that?

What he said was "They’ve cherry-picked the best players from the competition from the past few years, and we’re under no illusions about how tough they’ll be.” 

What he's saying is that the best players from the competition over the past few years have been cherry picked by Crusaders. Hope that's a bit clearer.

Hard to disagree with what Talbot is saying, Clive Griffiths has recruited wisely, and he can't just whistle up Saints players like Talbot can.

Looking forward to Gateshead v the University of Gloucestershire All-Golds, it could be a long season for whoever is winless after that game.

#14 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,743 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

Oxford vs Hemel looked a cracker. Real tight game throughout. Huge win for Oxford who really are the surprise package of that league IMO.
Posted Image

#15 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

Well done to thunder, hope they can kick on and compete. Anyone know why they are playing where they are? What is home for them now? Cru looking solid, can't see past them to be honest.
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#16 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,790 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

Oxford won again - wonder if they can last the pace and qualify? Skolars will be up there or thereabouts later

#17 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

cannot disagree with much of that, Rochdale v crusaders should be a thriller and go a long way to determining how competitive Rochdale are. Back Gateshead to get the win and think that Oxford will give Hemel their first loss. Skolars will start shooting up the league after victory v south Wales.

Well predicted!!

#18 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

So, you want Gateshead to do well, but also the Scorpions, the Skolars, and you don't mind which out of Stags or Oxford win their game.

Which is pretty well where I am with this league. I want the three newbies to do well, Skolars and Gateshead because they have extended the game to the lengths of England, Scorpions and Crusaders because they are helping spread the game to Wales. And I've always had a soft spot for Oldham.

Oh, and as you can tell from my name, I follow Hornets!

Sorry for your loss today btw.

You have me summed up where CC1 is concerned!

#19 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

Well done to the mighty Thunder for finally getting a win!  I think the All Golds may struggle, especially given that they are finding it hard to recruit.

#20 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

Oxford won again - wonder if they can last the pace and qualify?

By rights they should be able to last the pace as half their team was formerly known as Oldham!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users