Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Leigh Community Foundation - Chairman's Statement

Club media release

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

I am pleased to say that the Foundation that was formed earlier on in the year is now ready to commence trading. It has been a desire of the Board, in particular Trevor Barton MBE, for the launch of the Community Foundation. Both Trevor and I, supported by Miranda Barker, have been planning the creation of the Foundation for some time. Miranda joined the Board last year with a view to re-establishing the community links between the Centurions and the community and developing the appropriate pathways.

Trevor, over the past 2 years, has been the CEO of the Centurions which he took on a temporary basis not realising that it would take up 2 years of his time. I have to say, on a personal note, that without Trevor’s support the task of trying to save Centurions would have been considerably more difficult if not impossible. Therefore, it is with a heavy heart that I have to acknowledge that Trevor’s attention is focused on developing the Foundation. Certainly over the past 2 years Trevor has built a solid foundation within the Centurions with the professional support group that has galvanised a considerable number of volunteers to work towards the success of the Centurions.

Although Trevor will no longer be the CEO he will still form a very active and important part of the future of the Club including the Foundation.

The Foundation has secured funding from Bolton MBC which enables John Duffy to transfer over to the Foundation where he will assist Trevor in the day to day delivery of programs.

Obviously from a personal point of view this leaves a big hole to fill on the Board of Centurions with the loss of Trevor but hopefully with the recent interest that has been expressed that the individuals are willing to step up to assist the Board and myself in taking the Centurions onto the next stage.

This whole journey over the past 2 years has been quite incredible. But I think the performance on Sunday by the players only emphasised the desire the commitment and the team spirit that can be produced at the Centurions which clearly shows we can be a force to be recognised not only in the local community through the foundation but on the rugby field with Paul and the team. With the right backing from fans the business community and in particular Leigh Sports Village, I am quite convinced that we are only a few inches away from success. There is still an incredible amount of hard work to be done but the position that we are now in, in 2013, is so significantly better than it was in 2011.

I am sure everybody will now get behind the Foundation to ensure its success working within the community and delivering all the community projects by the Foundation can only enhance the success of the Centurions and re-engage the Centurions back into the community where it belongs.

Chairman, Keith Freer
30th April 2013

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#2 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

What does this actually mean?

#3 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

Well that seems to have cleared things up for me.

#4 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

I have no idea what has been announced in that press release. It seems very muddled and doesnt seem to say much.

#5 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

There's already a thread about this here

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#6 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

I'll sleep tonight now.

#7 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

There's already a thread about this here

:D

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#8 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 651 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

I'll sleep tonight now.

That`s disappointing.
We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

#9 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,676 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

I'll sleep tonight now.

Why? What HAVE you been doing!

Top tip for Leigh Centurions. Think about DR of PR people.

#10 Bartholemew Smythe

Bartholemew Smythe
  • Coach
  • 651 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

Why? What HAVE you been doing!

Top tip for Leigh Centurions. Think about DR of PR people.

?
We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

#11 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

Is that a press release or a blog post?

Posted Image

#12 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,676 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

?

1. what have you been doing that will ensure you sleep tonight.

2. Maybe Leigh could borrow a  PR person from a nearby SuperLeague club to train them to write press releases. We could do it, but I'm not sure they could afford us.

#13 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

The foundation is a major investment in schools and youth across the area and including Bolton, something Trevor is very passionate about

#14 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

The foundation is a major investment in schools and youth across the area and including Bolton, something Trevor is very passionate about

Any chance of us playing the odd "big one" on-the-road game at Bolton? IMO we really ought to be casting the net to Bolton - its our friendly bigger neighbour with a massive population. I would guess that folk from Bolton are far more likely to watch Leigh than Wigan

#15 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,676 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

well why didn't he say so? 

#16 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,893 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

I would guess that folk from Bolton are far more likely to watch Leigh than Wigan

You would.

But they come from all over Lancs to watch Wigan so sorry, Bolton is not ring fenced for Leigh.

It's like saying people in Morley are more likely to watch Hunslet than Leeds

They are just not.

People are more likely to watch Superleague.

Edited by The Parksider, 01 May 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#17 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

You would.

But they come from all over Lancs to watch Wigan so sorry, Bolton is not ring fenced for Leigh.

It's like saying people in Morley are more likely to watch Hunslet than Leeds

They are just not.

People are more likely to watch Superleague.

Not really - I think there is a bit of rivalry between Bolton and Wigan as a result of the football. There is no rivalry between Morley and Leeds

#18 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,893 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:21 AM

Not really - I think there is a bit of rivalry between Bolton and Wigan as a result of the football. There is no rivalry between Morley and Leeds

I don't know what you are talking about but the vast majority of new fans go to Superleague and Bolton has a choice locally of Wigan and Salford. Your own chairman admits championship sides fan bases are ageing and dropping. SL is the draw.

#19 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:43 AM

There's a rivalry in Wigan as a result of the football never mind Bolton!  :P

Not sure I've ever detected a great appetite for rugby over either code in Bolton, I'd suggest the idea of a Leigh game at the Reebok is a non-starter the costs would be massive compared to any potential returns.

Of those people I've met from Bolton who do like rugby, they seem perfectly happy to watch Wigan and I guess the same would apply to a successful Salford so I think Parkys bang on the money with his assessment on this one.

#20 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 479 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:42 AM

There's a rivalry in Wigan as a result of the football never mind Bolton!  :P

Not sure I've ever detected a great appetite for rugby over either code in Bolton, I'd suggest the idea of a Leigh game at the Reebok is a non-starter the costs would be massive compared to any potential returns.

Of those people I've met from Bolton who do like rugby, they seem perfectly happy to watch Wigan and I guess the same would apply to a successful Salford so I think Parkys bang on the money with his assessment on this one.

I think he's right as well but the point remains bolton is an area leigh must get into,but first leigh needs to reconnect with the 100k people in the town and surrounding towns.Not an easy job now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users