Operation Yewtree

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,235 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:50 AM

I wonder if Coronation Street will do a storyline?

http://www.mirror.co...ets-ken-1863179

I don't think the post-Levenson-Report press is doing itself any favours by reporting arrests, when charges have yet to be preferred.

Edited by Wolford6, 01 May 2013 - 11:54 AM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#2 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

I'm not sure you are doing this forum any favours by starting another topic on this!

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#3 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

It's a scary list of names from all of this over the last few months.  I wonder how many are genuine, how many are a malicious chance taken to repay a grudge, how many are attention-seeking fantasism and how many names won't come out due to it being long enough ago that they're dead.

It's also a massive burden of proof to prove something that happened that long ago.  And in these days of accusation = proof in the eyes of many, even those found not guilty will have a ruined career and life.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#4 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

It's a scary list of names from all of this over the last few months.  I wonder how many are genuine, how many are a malicious chance taken to repay a grudge, how many are attention-seeking fantasism and how many names won't come out due to it being long enough ago that they're dead.

It's also a massive burden of proof to prove something that happened that long ago.  And in these days of accusation = proof in the eyes of many, even those found not guilty will have a ruined career and life.

There can also be women coming forward being empowered by the fact action is taking place, where as they might of believed the person was too famous/powerful to have any chance of justice.

(probaly some of both to be fair...)

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#5 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

I'm not sure you are doing this forum any favours by starting another topic on this!

I'll leave it up to John to decided if he wants to can it but my view is that it can't just be ignored as one of the biggest subjects of 2013.

Be careful what you post, make no unfounded allegations and if you think your post might be slightly iffy then just don't post it.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#6 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,235 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

I just think this particular istance is intriguing, given his previous comments on sex with under-age girls.

You'd have thought he would have kept his opinions to himself.

There again, even if a claimed victim comes forward, I can't see how anyone can prove that he had sex with her forty odd years ago.

#7 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,235 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

Without pre-judging this case, I think the law on "rape" must be changed. It seems that if a male of marriageable age and legal responsibily (18) has sex with an underage girl, it can be classed as rape irrespective of whether or not she consented.

I don't think that a male of marriageable age but not legal responsibily (16), who has consensual sex with an underage girl, would even be prosecuted.

I would be surprised if a significant proportion (most?) modern boys and girls, particularly in urban areas, hadn't had sex before the age of 16.

#8 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

More on William Roach here : The 79-year-old actor, who plays Ken Barlow in the soap, admitted: ‘I didn’t have any control over my sex drive.’  an ill-advised statement given that he has not yet been charged?

#9 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

Without pre-judging this case, I think the law on "rape" must be changed. It seems that if a male of marriageable age and legal responsibily (18) has sex with an underage girl, it can be classed as rape irrespective of whether or not she consented.

If a guy rapes a under aged girl wouldn't it be harder to prove if the guy simply says she consented ? I'll agree that an accused guy shouldn't be named until charged.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#10 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,235 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

If a guy rapes a under aged girl wouldn't it be harder to prove if the guy simply says she consented ? I'll agree that an accused guy shouldn't be named until charged.

If a 15-year-old girl says she has been raped then, if there are no witnesses, she presumably has to go immediately to the police who will arrange mediacal examinations and couselling etc. However, in a different scenario,  if some time later she admits to having underage consensual sex with an adult, then he can be charged with rape.

So long as both partners are compos mentis and not being coeced into sex, I can't see how, in most cases, it can be rape. Sexual misconduct yes, but not rape. If you get found guilty of rape, you get five years in prison, or at least Ched Evans did.

#11 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

Maybe a timely reminder to some people out there about what happens if they tell lies about this kind of thing

#12 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

Two who I've heard of but have not yet been named are pretty big. Wish they'd just get on with it. Why have a list that can't be named but almost release the names gradually in some strange P.R. kind of way.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#13 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

COMPENSATION CULTURE BRITAIN, how much if a giddy celeb left his hand on my knee for too long in his dressing room in 1979? or a sportsman put his hand on my breast in a nightclub in 1983? if jake the pegg is a "wrong un" then its god help the rest of british society , thats all i can say?

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#14 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

Two who I've heard of but have not yet been named are pretty big. Wish they'd just get on with it. Why have a list that can't be named but almost release the names gradually in some strange P.R. kind of way.

I would imagine it has something to do with old fashioned concepts like checking to see if there is any actual evidence before throwing someone's reputation to the dogs in the court of public opinion.

I cannot stand the 'nudge, nudge, wink, wink, no smoke without fire, he looks a bit dodgy, must be guilty' innuendo that surrounds this whole operation, as if the police are infallible and have never arrested anyone in this country who is subsequently found to be not guilty of the charges made against them when history is littered with many cases demonstrating the exact opposite.

Arrest does not automatically equal guilt, and people are innocent until proven guilty.

On that basis, I'm not sure what grounds there are for leaving this thread open.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users