Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The NRL is turning into the Premier League

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

Will people start turning off the Super League to follow the NRL. Like many other country's around the world the premier league is followed more than their domestic game, could that happen here.
waddell

#2 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

I already have. I watch Leeds when I can, but never miss a Bulldogs game and catch all the big games over there. I usually catch 3 or 4 games a week but rarely watch the SL on TV.

Edited by Harrigan, 01 May 2013 - 07:19 PM.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#3 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

I already have. I watch Leeds when I can, but never miss a Bulldogs game and catch all the big games over there. I usually catch 3 or 4 games a week but rarely watch the SL on TV.

Same here but replace Bulldogs with Souths.

Replacing Sky Sports with Premier Sports started as an ecomonmic decision and can't see me changing back anytime soon.

#4 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

If Super League isn't able to find a way to be better-balanced and more geographically ambitious then I'll bail for NRL before long, yes. The clock has been ticking for a while, in truth. SL has maybe a year of my support left at best and I'm finding it increasingly harder to garner enthusiasm to go to games or even turn on the telly as we all yawn our way towards a Leeds-Wigan Grand Final.

I don't like the Premier League comparison though. The NRL is the opposite of the Premier League and much more NFL-like in its structure and delivery.

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,616 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

Will people start turning off the Super League to follow the NRL. Like many other country's around the world the premier league is followed more than their domestic game, could that happen here.

I don't think that lots of people will turn off SuperLeague to watch NRl, though of course some may. To what extent is this forum representative of Sky sports subscribers?  i think that the nearer NRL gets to Premier League ( and lets face it, it has a long long way to go when United turn over over £300 million and make a profit of £23 million)  the expansion in soccer in the UK since the advent of the Premier League is something that we would do well to replicate.  The Premier League has pulled the Championship along with it. If only out game was 1/10 as successful!

Edited by JohnM, 01 May 2013 - 08:13 PM.

#6 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

I used to watch SL each week on a Friday. Now I am not that bothered and would rather miss the SL game, so I get time to watch the NRL maybe two or three games some weeks. The good thing is often, I can watch 2 games or more back to back on a Saturday Morning.

#7 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

Given the success of the Australian A-League this year (it's bigger than SL is in England, and is quickly gaining on the NRL) maybe the EPL isn't revered so much in Oz
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

Possibly. But let's remember that the Premier League is on the decline, giving way to La Liga and now the Bundesliga as those leagues get stronger and more interesting. We should stick to the Super League and do our best to improve its attractiveness, as we absolutely can. The NRL is attractive to Leeds fans for sure, as they seek to look a bit cosmopolitan, but we shouldn't go overboard.

Edited by Just Browny, 01 May 2013 - 09:18 PM.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#9 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

Given the success of the Australian A-League this year (it's bigger than SL is in England, and is quickly gaining on the NRL) maybe the EPL isn't revered so much in Oz

Naa mate, that's what the A League fans tell themselves out here to feel better, but it's not true.

The UK RL TV deal is nearly twice the amount the A League soccer contract is for a start, the A League (pro soccer game) along with internationals do not crack 2 million spectators a year whereas the RL in the UK does.

http://www.abc.net.a...st-deal/4379596

The $160 million deal - made up of $140 million in cash and $20 million in advertising

The ESL TV deal is 130-140 million pound (including Internationals and BBC coverage).

The ESL gets 2 games a week on TV while the A League gets every game shown.

Edit, I just seen the NRL reference LOL

Edited by ParraEelsNRL, 01 May 2013 - 09:26 PM.

#10 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

already has for me, got rid of sky and now got premier. go the storm!

#11 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

Iv just subscribed, I was also talking to a guy today that never followed rugby until last year, and watched a game of NRL by chance and now he follows that instead of super league. His words were faster and more aggressive.
Up until this season I wasn't interested in the NRL, I can't wait to see Tomkins and Watkins over there now though.

Edited by joe elliot, 01 May 2013 - 09:45 PM.

waddell

#12 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:28 PM

is it turning into the premier league???

well given theres only 3 or 4 teams that can win the NRL these days....and its becoming less competitive & intense year on year....id say yes its becoming like the premier league.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#13 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:50 AM

I am contemplating cancelling Sky Sports and just having Premier Sports. I would've already done it if I weren't so forgetful
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#14 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:40 AM

You can of course watch a huge amount of NRL via Bet365. No need to subscribe to anything.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#15 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,664 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

Still? I'd heard that as part of Premier Sports' renewal of the rights, the betting websites getting the games for nowt had ended?

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#16 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

Still? I'd heard that as part of Premier Sports' renewal of the rights, the betting websites getting the games for nowt had ended?

It's not every game but a few a week at least.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#17 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

I think there are a few things to this point.

Firstly, to watch SL you need to pay a decent amount for the Sports package (minimum £30 a month?). This is for only 2 live games. To watch NRL and Championships (8 or 9 games a week many live) is only a tenner - so this naturally makes for good value   in comparison. If you are the type of person that goes to your team's games regularly then I'm sure you the decision to pay the tenner becomes much easier. For somebody like me, getting rid of Sky Sports is not on the radar as it is my main way of keeping up with the game.

I wonder if it was £30 for 2 live NRL/Championship games per week there would be the same interest - I suspect not.

My other main point on this is that whilst I enjoy the NRL (I subscribed to Premier for the first time this year) I don't have that emotional bond with the comp which I find important in sport. I enjoy watching Souths - I have fond memories of my Nan bringing me a Souths shirt back from Oz years ago - but they aren't 'my team'. I grew up watching Warrington. I was brought up loving the rivalry with the likes of Saints, Wigan and Widnes - I've stood at Odsal and seen my team embarrassed and so on - I have a real genuine emotional tie to the British game and the teams in it, there is no way that I would stop watching SL.

Like I said at the start, I enjoy watching NRL, but it doesn't get me like SL does.

#18 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

I think the last point is a good one, which probably emphasises the NRL changing into the undoubted most watched league.
I still have an emotional tie to super league but for the first time ever I look forward to the games on premier sports. After a bit of time, if it carries on there will be a stronger tie for people watching especially as kids growing up watching it on a Saturday morning with there dads.
Which could then spell real trouble for the super league in terms of sky money

Edited by joe elliot, 02 May 2013 - 08:59 AM.

waddell

#19 Toddye13

Toddye13
  • Facebook
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

It is the whole package that the NRL brings that is exciting. Watching games on TV with huge crowds make you want to be there. I enjoy watching SL games on a Friday night but it gets pretty embarrassing watching a SL game like Cas vs Widnes and there is around 3000 people at the game and plenty of empty seats. 

Plus I always enjoy listening to Rabs, Sterlo and Gus, Joey and Hadley.

I have always grown up with watching the NRL and following Balmain Tigers from when I was 4 years old and being at Wayne Pearce's last game at Leichhardt oval. The NRL just gets better each year and I for one enjoy seeing the Brits making their name over there like the old days of Hanley, Schofield and Crooks.

#20 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,970 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:04 AM

I think there are a few things to this point.

Firstly, to watch SL you need to pay a decent amount for the Sports package (minimum £30 a month?). This is for only 2 live games. To watch NRL and Championships (8 or 9 games a week many live) is only a tenner - so this naturally makes for good value   in comparison. If you are the type of person that goes to your team's games regularly then I'm sure you the decision to pay the tenner becomes much easier. For somebody like me, getting rid of Sky Sports is not on the radar as it is my main way of keeping up with the game.

I wonder if it was £30 for 2 live NRL/Championship games per week there would be the same interest - I suspect not.

My other main point on this is that whilst I enjoy the NRL (I subscribed to Premier for the first time this year) I don't have that emotional bond with the comp which I find important in sport. I enjoy watching Souths - I have fond memories of my Nan bringing me a Souths shirt back from Oz years ago - but they aren't 'my team'. I grew up watching Warrington. I was brought up loving the rivalry with the likes of Saints, Wigan and Widnes - I've stood at Odsal and seen my team embarrassed and so on - I have a real genuine emotional tie to the British game and the teams in it, there is no way that I would stop watching SL.

Like I said at the start, I enjoy watching NRL, but it doesn't get me like SL does.

Pretty much the same for me.

I can watch a few teams in the Premier League, even though I don't support one, but the Bundersliga and La Liga are probably much better leagues - will I sit down and watch a match there because it's the best league in the world? No. Same for the NRL. I've no attachment nor much interest, no matter how many self fallating ego blogs are churned out Down Under proclaiming so.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users