Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The NRL is turning into the Premier League

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

i have always been a massive fan of the NRL and the roosters in particular, i went over in 2004 to watch the play off series and grand final. but my heart always belongs to the mighty chemics.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#22 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

I love my club and I love live RL far more than I could ever love any sport on TV.  For that reason I think I'll always prefer the UK domestic competitions as it's something tangible and accessible.  

I don't have Premier Sports, but I do occasionally watch some NRL games via the internet, but the timing of the live games is for the Aussie home market and not very convenient for the UK viewer and it's all a bit detached as I don't identify with the side/places playing each other.

One thing I do love about the NRL is the commentary, the commentator describe the action without prejudice or opinion, the experts give their view.  Something Sky could certainly learn from.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#23 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

I've been going to Saint since the early 80's but I lived in Sydney last year and started watching the Doggies at ANZ and the rest of the games on TV.

The game day experience of going to a match live isn't that much different to going to watch a SL team (except SOO). However as an overall package the NRL is miles ahead. The quality of the game on the pitch is far superior and more entertaining to watch and the level of media coverage surpasses anything that footballs Premier league has in the UK.

Their TV coverage, aside from the fact that they televise every game, is better than Sky's, largely due to the commenty teams. Eddie, Stevo & the rest sound like thick, clueless baffoons who miss half of whats going on in the game and squabble amongst themselves about the rules and refree mistakes. In contrast the Aussie commentators are highly knowledgeable, and add in humour so its actually really enjoyable to listen to them.

Our chat shows are also an embarrasment with the likes of Terry 'I Fink' O'connor. Listening to him ask questions is cringeworthy.

Sky needs to make some serious changes to their commentary teams and bring in some intelligent & knowledgeable guys who are easy to listen to. Robbie Paul would be a good start, along with the likes of Jon Wilkin when he stops playing.

All this said, I'm a Saints fan through & through and will always go & watch them

Edited by Saint Toppy, 02 May 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#24 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

well given theres only 3 or 4 teams that can win the NRL these days....and its becoming less competitive & intense year on year....id say yes its becoming like the premier league.

Err....8 (I'm fairly sure) winners in the last 10 years?

A stunningly baseless comment.

Edited by DeadShotKeen, 02 May 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#25 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 934 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

I'm gutted SkySports let the NRL coverage go because I won't increase my Sky bill for Premier Sports. Also it was a major loss for Rugby League as it's reduced the availability of the sport to SkySports customers. I knew of a few friends who enjoyed watching the NRL (especially the SOO and Internationals) and now they can't watch it. When I had Premier Sports I did watch more NRL than SL because, in general, it's more skillful, I don't have to listen to Eddie & Stevo plus it's a bigger spectacle.

#26 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

Err....8 (I'm fairly sure) winners in the last 10 years?

A stunningly baseless comment.

take your blinkers off.....its been either manly or melborne that have dominated the the NRL the past few years......these year its hard too look past melbourne (again)....souths......and maybe the roosters or manly (again)...

the days of being wooden spooners to champions has long gone......and 7 different NRL teams have been 'nilled' already this season and we're only 8 or 9 rounds in......

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#27 glensider

glensider
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

Same here but replace Bulldogs with Souths.

Replacing Sky Sports with Premier Sports started as an ecomonmic decision and can't see me changing back anytime soon.

Same here and unlikley to go back.  WE have it in the Irish club as well for the GAA !

#28 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

The days of being wooden spooners to champions has long gone......and 7 different NRL teams have been 'nilled' already this season and we're only 8 or 9 rounds in......

Souths were wooden spooners in the not so distant past, and the Roosters have had some shocking seasons and you have just listed them both as one of the "same old contenders"! . Do you honestly think Cas could win SL in 7 years time - or Reading could come back and be considered in contention for the Premier League title in the next decade?

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#29 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

Souths were wooden spooners in the not so distant past, and the Roosters have had some shocking seasons and you have just listed them both as one of the "same old contenders"! . Do you honestly think Cas could win SL in 7 years time - or Reading could come back and be considered in contention for the Premier League title in the next decade?

I wouldn't write anyone off in SL over the next 5-10 years, look at the upturn in fortune Salford have been given, whoda thunk that 12 months ago. Likewise the decline of certain teams too. A few good seasons and now Catalan and Huddersfield are definite contenders.

As for the Premier League, again, it's a bit more stretched but who knows.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#30 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

Actually, Im going to turn around and say after the top players in their 30's retire at each club, the SL will be very well ballenced. It's already more competitive than ever before above the bottom 3. It's getting closer every year too. As soon as the (from a Leeds POV)likes of Sinfield, Peacock, McGuire, Burrow retire, we drop back a bit, and it'll be the same with a few teams. All the clubs seem to be bringing through good youngsters these days so the longer we continue, the closer everything will get.

Edited by Harrigan, 02 May 2013 - 01:19 PM.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#31 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

I wouldn't write anyone off in SL over the next 5-10 years, look at the upturn in fortune Salford have been given, whoda thunk that 12 months ago. Likewise the decline of certain teams too. A few good seasons and now Catalan and Huddersfield are definite contenders.

As for the Premier League, again, it's a bit more stretched but who knows.

True, in general I agree with that and in general clubs fluctuate although SL tends to do it at a far slower pace than the NRL. See the above stat of 7/8 different teams winning the title over 10 years down under when in the same period we have only had 6 different teams in the Grand Final (two of which have only appeared once).

I'm certainly not one of this "NRL is the best and that's the end of it" crowd, but when people say the title is more open down under it's hard to argue against that fact - certainly on a year to year basis. That's not the same as saying anyone can win it though which is a different, and incorrect, argument.  

Edited by Amber Avenger, 02 May 2013 - 02:11 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

#32 brooza

brooza
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

the days of being wooden spooners to champions has long gone

Melbourne Storm were wooden spooners a couple of years back :laugh:

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#33 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,239 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

True, in general I agree with that and in general clubs fluctuate although SL tends to do it at a far slower pace than the NRL. See the above stat of 7/8 different teams winning the title over 10 years down under when in the same period we have only had 6 different teams in the Grand Final (two of which have only appeared once).

I'm certainly not one of this "NRL is the best and that's the end of it" crowd, but when people say the title is more open down under it's hard to argue against that fact - certainly on a year to year basis. That's not the same as saying anyone can win it though which is a different, and incorrect, argument.  

I think it is hard to challenge the theory that the Australian comp is slightly more open, however I do think it is over-stated in the case of SL. It is also pretty open.

In the last 10 years:

5 different Minor Premiers (6 in Oz)

4 GF Winners (7 in Oz) - think the Leeds winning streak is a freak thing though rather than a reflection of SL

5 Challenge Cup winners

It's actually not too bad in SL tbh.

#34 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

I think there are a few things to this point.

Firstly, to watch SL you need to pay a decent amount for the Sports package (minimum £30 a month?). This is for only 2 live games. To watch NRL and Championships (8 or 9 games a week many live) is only a tenner - so this naturally makes for good value   in comparison. If you are the type of person that goes to your team's games regularly then I'm sure you the decision to pay the tenner becomes much easier. For somebody like me, getting rid of Sky Sports is not on the radar as it is my main way of keeping up with the game.

I wonder if it was £30 for 2 live NRL/Championship games per week there would be the same interest - I suspect not.

My other main point on this is that whilst I enjoy the NRL (I subscribed to Premier for the first time this year) I don't have that emotional bond with the comp which I find important in sport. I enjoy watching Souths - I have fond memories of my Nan bringing me a Souths shirt back from Oz years ago - but they aren't 'my team'. I grew up watching Warrington. I was brought up loving the rivalry with the likes of Saints, Wigan and Widnes - I've stood at Odsal and seen my team embarrassed and so on - I have a real genuine emotional tie to the British game and the teams in it, there is no way that I would stop watching SL.

Like I said at the start, I enjoy watching NRL, but it doesn't get me like SL does.

And don't forget the cricket. We might actually beat the Aussies at that too!

B)

\

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#35 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,462 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

is it turning into the premier league???

well given theres only 3 or 4 teams that can win the NRL these days....and its becoming less competitive & intense year on year....id say yes its becoming like the premier league.

Yes 6 different teams in the past 3 grand Finals. What are you on about that only 3 or 4 teams can win it? Maybe i you took of your anti-Australian blinkers you could see the competition is much more open than you think

MELBOURNE V Canterbury
MANLY v NZ Warriors
ST.GEORGE v Sydney Roosters

#36 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,606 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

I was thinking along similar lines as the OP but without comparing the NRL to the EPL. My reasoning was based around the top English players going to ply their trade in the NRL. I thought maybe that some people would subscribe to PS to see the English lads down under and cancel their Sky subscriptions on the basis that the SL would be weakened due to the player migration south. I then pondered that if that scenario did eventuate that Sky would then offer RL less money based on dwindling subscribers. 

rldfsignature.jpg

#37 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

Melbourne Storm were wooden spooners a couple of years back :laugh:

only because they had their points stripped...not cos they where ######..

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#38 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

In the last 10 years:
5 different Minor Premiers (6 in Oz)
4 GF Winners (7 in Oz) - think the Leeds winning streak is a freak thing though rather than a reflection of SL
5 Challenge Cup winners

I see where you are coming from, but all those stats come from the same pool of 5 teams with the addition of Hull being the only team to appear in one of those categories only once. In ten years the only real difference is Bradford have been replaced with Wire - like I say there is progress it's just slower.
SQL Honours

#39 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,239 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

I see where you are coming from, but all those stats come from the same pool of 5 teams with the addition of Hull being the only team to appear in one of those categories only once. In ten years the only real difference is Bradford have been replaced with Wire - like I say there is progress it's just slower.

yep - im not saying we are as varied as the NRL but I just dont think its as bad in sl as people suggest.
In the NRL their bottom clubs arent always the weak ones on low crowds like here.

#40 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:31 AM

Already turned off SL for NRL. i have family in Brisbane and have natural connection to the Broncos. Not got a team to support in Super League i try and follow Salford as its local and want them to do well but as an Oldham fan SL doesnt capture the heart.

Dont watch Football on Sky as all the football i have to watch is at Boundary Park

As the fellow said in a post above 2 games a week in SL for £19.99 a month vs 8 NRL and 1 Championship game a week for £9.99 a month is a no brainer. Got them all set to record this weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users