My how tables have turned.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 London Dick

London Dick
  • Coach
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

The answer is rather simple.  Set up a competition in Dubai or somewhere equidistant between England and Aus and ensure that every "2nd rate" player going to play is either country has a stop off there en route and is kidnapped and forced to play in that competition.  All rounded up in one big pen and then there will be something else to moan about.

"If you want us to be the best and if you want us to beat the rest, a BISSA donation is what we need"

#3 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,874 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:57 AM

By foreigners, Brett do you mean Poms? The NRL has plenty of Kiwis, Fijians, Samoans, Tongans etc. This has been the case for years.

Suddenly it's an issue for him because a few more Brits have found it worth their while to go there? The ones there have added to the interest and enjoyment of fans there and have added an extra element of enjoyment for British viewers of the NRL.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#4 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

By foreigners he means lads from the UK who can't change their nationality in the blink of an eye and play origin or for the roos.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#5 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 925 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:00 AM

There's still not that many poms over there though? For their national team I think they have a bigger problem with the amount of players from NZ, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga etc.

#6 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

By foreigners he means lads from the UK who can't change their nationality in the blink of an eye and play origin or for the roos.

What like NRL developed players like Jack Reed or Gareth Widdop that have not played for Australia unlike players like
Chase?

Jack Reed was about 2 year old when he moved to Australia, when does he become Australian?
Chris Heighington is a good Englishman as was Maurie Faslavaluu (whatever is name is)He was ######.

England poaches or attempts to poach far more players that have no connection with England than Australia ever has.

Edited by AndyCapp, 03 May 2013 - 10:22 AM.

#7 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,334 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

What like NRL developed players like Jack Reed or Gareth Widdop that have not played for Australia unlike players like
Chase?

Jack Reed was about 2 year old when he moved to Australia, when does he become Australian?
Chris Heighington is a good Englishman as was Maurie Faslavaluu (whatever is name is)He was ######.

England poaches or attempts to poach far more players that have no connection with England than Australia ever has.

When he decides he wants an Australian passport.

Got 1500 bass drum lugging,bug eyed monkeys!

#8 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

That's just not true. I think we found twenty foreigners who had played for Australia in the last twenty years or so.

There's nowhere near that amount for England or GB.
People called Romans they go the house

#9 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

That's just not true. I think we found twenty foreigners who had played for Australia in the last twenty years or so.

There's nowhere near that amount for England or GB.

Who are they MrPosh?
Name them.
Players that have not emigrated to Australia as young kids and become Australian citizens.
Australia is a country of emigrants you do realise.
Some are good Athletes that become good at Rugby League or other Sports.

Name 20............. in 20 years you are starting to sound bitter about something.

Edited by AndyCapp, 03 May 2013 - 12:13 PM.

#10 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

When he decides he wants an Australian passport.

Do you know that he does not have one?

Edited by AndyCapp, 03 May 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#11 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

Who are they MrPosh?
Name them.
Players that have not emigrated to Australia as young kids and become Australian citizens.

Name 20............. in 20 years you are starting to sound bitter about something.

I'm not going to name them all - I can't remember them all and it took quite some time to find them. Suffice to say number twenty was quite difficult, but ended up with Solomon Haumono (One test during the Super League war).

I accept your point about emigrants and I'm sure some of that list was. However, that wasn't allowed for in your original falsehood and I felt it needed correcting.
People called Romans they go the house

#12 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 669 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

Who are they MrPosh?
Name them.

Well the criteria for making judgements should be where they learned to play RL, followed by where they played Professional RL. Australia has contributed more players to International RL more than any other country by a very long way.

#13 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,189 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

There's still not that many poms over there though? For their national team I think they have a bigger problem with the amount of players from NZ, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga etc.

How many NZ, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga players are actually from Australia?

It seems to me that Australia are more sinned against than sinning in this regard.

Same with the All-Blacks in union, regularly accused of stealing players from the Pacific Islands, the vast majority of which were born in Auckland or moved there as a young child.

#14 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

I'm not going to name them all - I can't remember them all and it took quite some time to find them. Suffice to say number twenty was quite difficult, but ended up with Solomon Haumono (One test during the Super League war).

I accept your point about emigrants and I'm sure some of that list was. However, that wasn't allowed for in your original falsehood and I felt it needed correcting.

Well if "it took quite some time to find them" name them Mate.
You said "That's just not true. I think we found twenty foreigners who had played for Australia in the last twenty years or so"

Who are the "we" you speak of?

Edited by AndyCapp, 04 May 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#15 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

Who are all these foreigners that England have tried to poach?

Faasavalu, Chase, Heigington, Manu now I'm struggling.........

Compared to the Ausies we don't even register, theyve had loads

#16 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

They are all players that have little or no connection to England other than living there for less than a few years.
The English Coach is documented as sounding out Australian players that have Grandfather connections to be available.

At least all Australian Reps live and have been built in Australia in the NRL.

Who are the Australian players you are thinking about that have only lived in Oz for a few years or are not permanent citizens?
I cannot think of many, there are a couple of players that emigrated to Oz as 14-15 year olds, hardly developed League players at that age.
Who are you thinking of Omega?
In the last World Cup Australian born players made up substantial parts of many teams including more than a few
of the winning team.

Edited by AndyCapp, 04 May 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#17 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,879 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

Andy, you weaken your argument with the point about who developed their career. That is not relevant and I dont know anybody who would support such criteria.
You win your argument simply by pointing out that the vast majority of players to represent the roos were born in Oz and a fair few who represrnted other nations too.

By your reckoning Widdop should represent Oz. If he decided to represent Oz because it is his home and classes himsel australian then fair enough, but not because he started playing rl in one nation.

The criteria is complex - but, rightly none relate to where a player has been developed.

#18 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:13 PM

There are no players from tonga and Samoa and maybe 3 from Fiji. All the players you probably think of are from nz and aus. If anything, the nrl needs more players from these countries and to get off their a**e and start developing the game in the pacific islands.

#19 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:16 PM

If Australia has had loads, who are they? Surely you have names to back your argument up?

#20 Superdude

Superdude
  • Coach
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:58 AM

Who are they MrPosh?
Name them.

Carroll created controversy when, after first representing Queensland then representing New Zealand in the 2000 World Cup (scoring a try in the final against Australia), he played for the Australian side, due to his having played State of Origin. When selected for the Kangaroos in 2004s Tri-Nations competition, Carroll became the first player in 90 years (since Bill Kelly in 1914) to play for both New Zealand and Australia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users