TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Sport England funding

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

I was speaking to somebody today who is involved with British sport and funding at a fairly senior level. He told me that whenever he mentions Rugby League to Phil Smith (Director of Sport apparently at Sport England)he rolls his eyes with exasperation. He claims that RL's funding would have been cut even further than it has been had it not been for the embarrassment at how much the game was given in the previous round.

There was a fair amount of bitterness and resentment because he is involved in another sport and the attempt to get funding for it nationally, but equally he is a very honest person.

It was interesting because he felt that RL benefited from lobbying from Labour MPs and also claimed that a lot of the appointees in Sport England were Labour appointments.

The idea that we have people batting for our team in the corridor of powers is reassuring although it sounds as though the balance of power may be changing.
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#2 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,052 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

The new boss of sport England is the former head of the British Yachting association or some such. Expect RL to have tgheir funding reduced in short order.

#3 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

Sounds like he and the director need to have a think about whether they are right for the job. Sounds like they have agendas and the director especially should be impartial.

#4 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

Sounds like he and the director need to have a think about whether they are right for the job. Sounds like they have agendas and the director especially should be impartial.

I think though that we need to be careful about looking at things through rose tinted specs..I certainly came away with the impression that RL did particularly well with Sport England whilst Richard Lewis was about and that we can't realistically rely on that level of funding anymore...the bloke I was talking to mentioned the drop in recorded numbers playing the game and I suppose that shows how it's important to keep the game vibrant at all levels.
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#5 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

I was speaking to somebody today who is involved with British sport and funding at a fairly senior level. He told me that whenever he mentions Rugby League to Phil Smith (Director of Sport apparently at Sport England)he rolls his eyes with exasperation. He claims that RL's funding would have been cut even further than it has been had it not been for the embarrassment at how much the game was given in the previous round.

There was a fair amount of bitterness and resentment because he is involved in another sport and the attempt to get funding for it nationally, but equally he is a very honest person.

It was interesting because he felt that RL benefited from lobbying from Labour MPs and also claimed that a lot of the appointees in Sport England were Labour appointments.

The idea that we have people batting for our team in the corridor of powers is reassuring although it sounds as though the balance of power may be changing.

Sounds like your contact doesnt like RL

#6 roughyed8

roughyed8
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:22 AM

I think though that we need to be careful about looking at things through rose tinted specs..I certainly came away with the impression that RL did particularly well with Sport England whilst Richard Lewis was about and that we can't realistically rely on that level of funding anymore...the bloke I was talking to mentioned the drop in recorded numbers playing the game and I suppose that shows how it's important to keep the game vibrant at all levels.

Was not the drop in participation numbers down to the criteria being changed by sport England, didn't they say that to count as participation the person must play at least 3 times a week which for a collision sport like RL is not realisticly possible.

#7 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:24 AM

Sounds like more unfounded rumours for people to get excited about.

#8 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:03 AM

As rugby league probably has the most participants from poorer and diverse backgrounds it should really receive much more funding.

#9 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

Sounds like more unfounded rumours for people to get excited about.

not really a rumour as such, just reporting a conversation I'd had.

#10 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

Course you are,unfortunately without any facts to back it up - that's why it's called rumour.

#11 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

Course you are,unfortunately without any facts to back it up - that's why it's called rumour.

Not entirely sure what facts I am expected to provide. Date, time, name of person I spoke to? Was passing on the comments of someone I spoke to regarding RL, on a RL forum. Whether I agree with that person or not, their perception is that RL has received beneficial treatment from Sport England. As for facts, well the person I spoke to is meeting Phil Smith today...that's a fact but one you were not privy to until I shared it with you!

#12 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 298 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

As rugby league probably has the most participants from poorer and diverse backgrounds it should really receive much more funding.

Spot on markleeds..this should be our main focus of attack when it comes to funding.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#13 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

The new boss of sport England is the former head of the British Yachting association or some such. Expect RL to have tgheir funding reduced in short order.

More people play Rugby League than sail yacht's. I actually think Rugby League funding should be increased as it does far more for communities than 99% of sports. Sports like yachting, tennis, rowing etc put very very little into communities as a whole.

#14 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,052 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

More people play Rugby League than sail yacht's. I actually think Rugby League funding should be increased as it does far more for communities than 99% of sports. Sports like yachting, tennis, rowing etc put very very little into communities as a whole.

Oh I agree with you 110% but the old boys network, coupled with the Governments affinity with the Yachting/ horseriding segment of society will take absolutely no notice of the facts.and will find some excuse to cut our funding especially as they have next to no representation north of Nottingham and therefore owe us no allegiance.

#15 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

Well the British equestrian fed got 6m for grassroots stuff this time round. Which admittedly is somewhat less than what grassroots rl got...

#16 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,052 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

Complete nonsense this is not 1950:))) I had dinner with a leading figure in the show jumping world around 3/4 years ago and she told me they were totally funded by benefactors with little or no government monies (Outside of the olympics which is understandable)

CM

What about dressage, three day eventing and modern pentathalon which are not the corporate draw that showjumping is ? Plenty of scope for redirecting Govt. money there.

What about rowing and sailing and watch out for RU sevens.The potential for redirecting funding away from our sport by fellow travellers in the power structure of the country is immense. If you don't think the old boys network is alive and very much kicking in the UK then I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

Don't forget RU were getting millions on Govt grants at the same time as they were denying any RL player from competing in their sport before they went professional and were censured by Parliament.

#17 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

I think he may be right actually. Someone posted a link I'm sure on a thread a few months ago I believe. I neither can recall a time date and person though.

#18 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

Won't let me post links whilst quoting for some reason but Cookey

http://www.sportengl...tin_rates.aspxg

Edit: link doesn't work but if you Google sport England participation rates it's on there, what slow dive is saying is correct.

Edited by barrowraiderskid, 04 May 2013 - 10:21 PM.

#19 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,052 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

Well the British equestrian fed got 6m for grassroots stuff this time round. Which admittedly is somewhat less than what grassroots rl got...

The compeititors in equestrian sports are, by and large, from a section of society which can well afford to fund itself. Priness Anne was it who competed at the Olympics.

Plus, equestrian events need horses, stables, saddles, jumps, large fields, food. RL needs a set of kit, a ball and fields. the bang for the buck from funding RL would be much greater and I would guess reach a far greater number of persons than compete in equestrian events.

#20 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:39 AM

As regards parcipitation numbers Rugby League is light years ahead of the horsey and yachting set. Rugby League does far more for working class commuities than the horsey and yachting set. Rugby League puts far more into communties than it takes out. I repeat that funding at grassroots level for Rugby League should be higher than it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users