Celtic de Paris

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

Does anyone know anything about this club? What happened to them? We're they popular?

I noticed that two of the French hall of fame players turned out for them

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,581 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:39 AM

Puig-Aubert being one! Not a lot of information around on this club - hope someone's got a bit of info.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 Cliff Spracklen

Cliff Spracklen
  • Coach
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

Not posted on here for quite some time. But  did do an article covering the history of Paris RL in one of my last Rugby League World Treiziste Diary articles. It was about September 2010 give or take a month or two, just before I stepped down from writing the series. Deleted all my copies when I changed house and computers earlier this year. But John Drake may be able to locate the exact date or a copy of the article for you. There were some quite fascinating twists and turns and quite a history of RL clubs in Paris. One of the conclusions of the article was that a major failing of the PSG initiative was it's failure to involve the established treizistes in the capital, wasting their experience, commitment and local contacts until too late. Anyway I wonder if John can root out the article for you as he is sorting out his stuff on his last day as head of RLW. All the best John in the new venture at Total RL and thanks for your support during those years of doing Treiziste Diary.

#4 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:06 AM

That woul be brilliant guys, thanks very much!

It seems that there is quite a history of league in Paris, I was surprised when I started digging. I was also surprised by Nantes aswell!

#5 earl park riot

earl park riot
  • Coach
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

Not posted on here for quite some time. But  did do an article covering the history of Paris RL in one of my last Rugby League World Treiziste Diary articles. It was about September 2010 give or take a month or two, just before I stepped down from writing the series. Deleted all my copies when I changed house and computers earlier this year. But John Drake may be able to locate the exact date or a copy of the article for you. There were some quite fascinating twists and turns and quite a history of RL clubs in Paris. One of the conclusions of the article was that a major failing of the PSG initiative was it's failure to involve the established treizistes in the capital, wasting their experience, commitment and local contacts until too late. Anyway I wonder if John can root out the article for you as he is sorting out his stuff on his last day as head of RLW. All the best John in the new venture at Total RL and thanks for your support during those years of doing Treiziste Diary.

Glad to see you back posting on here Cliff. Always enjoyed your insightful reports on the French game. And must say, the treiziste diary was always my favourite part of RLW. Are you writing anywhere else these days? If not, hopefully we'll see you back here a bit more!

#6 Cliff Spracklen

Cliff Spracklen
  • Coach
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

That woul be brilliant guys, thanks very much!

It seems that there is quite a history of league in Paris, I was surprised when I started digging. I was also surprised by Nantes aswell!

The article was in RLW July or August 2010. If you cannot source a copy from TotalRL you will find it on the French Rugby Forum Xiii.  I posted it there a year after on a forum about the history  and current state of Rugby League in Paris. It was sometime in 2011. The link is

http://www.rugbyforu...Celtic de Paris  

Although the forum is in French I posted the article in English there.

Edited by Cliff Spracklen, 06 May 2013 - 06:03 PM.

#7 Cliff Spracklen

Cliff Spracklen
  • Coach
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

Glad to see you back posting on here Cliff. Always enjoyed your insightful reports on the French game. And must say, the treiziste diary was always my favourite part of RLW. Are you writing anywhere else these days? If not, hopefully we'll see you back here a bit more!

Thank you for those kind words. Been largely absent for the last 18 months looking after my ill wife who sadly passed away earlier this year. So not done much posting or writing except for a regular piece in the excellent Bramley programme ( The Oval World of Harry Bradshaw), and a piece in another magazine on the Hunslet Club (ex Hunslet Boys Club) being a Board Member of both, covering the successful  Hunslet Old Boys ARLFC , the Hunslet Club and Parkside RL Academy, and Jason Robinson our official Club Patron. On French RL I have not done too much save acting as intermediary in various junior exchanges I have been involved with for a long time. I did write a weekly review of Super League games in French on the Toulouse Olympique website until the end of last season. But I am slowly returning to the semblance of a normal life so I am sure you will see me posting more often again.  

#8 drelly

drelly
  • Coach
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

I read this posting with interest as I saw them play several times.I was lucky enough to be based in Paris whilst doing my national service and although I was playing RU (no choice in those days) for the unit I was in, I also went to watch Celtic all stars and met the man who was the driving force behind the club . He was a leading french industrialist by the name of M.Maurice Tardy.

He also made contact with the american military locally with a view to enlisting a few american footballers and asked me to help with translations .

Puig Aubert did indeed play some games for them and I have a photo of him with some other french internationals who guested with the Celtic.

The year was 1958.

#9 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,023 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:31 AM

Thank you for those kind words. Been largely absent for the last 18 months looking after my ill wife who sadly passed away earlier this year. So not done much posting or writing except for a regular piece in the excellent Bramley programme ( The Oval World of Harry Bradshaw), and a piece in another magazine on the Hunslet Club (ex Hunslet Boys Club) being a Board Member of both, covering the successful  Hunslet Old Boys ARLFC , the Hunslet Club and Parkside RL Academy, and Jason Robinson our official Club Patron. On French RL I have not done too much save acting as intermediary in various junior exchanges I have been involved with for a long time. I did write a weekly review of Super League games in French on the Toulouse Olympique website until the end of last season. But I am slowly returning to the semblance of a normal life so I am sure you will see me posting more often again.  

Sorry to hear of the passing of your wife Cliff

All of us posters on here always welcome your imformed comments.

#10 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:26 AM

Could you upload that picture drelly? It would be cool to see

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users