Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Whitehaven match

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

Thought I'd rather start a new thread to discuss our excellent victory rather than stick comments under another distracting one!
Superb performance all-round ...and that includes a very committed Haven team that made it such a thriller. That must be a cracking advert for the game ...and outside SL.
Magnificent display from Richie H.
Well done to all at half-time as well, things like that just make for a better atmosphere and hopefully shows some of the people who like to knock the Club that things are progressing on the community links with the Club (and their community development officers), the Trust and Folly all working together.
What a night! Come on you Lions!

#2 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 320 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

Really enjoyed the game last night and most pleasing was the response from Swinton after going behind in the second half.

A win on TV too which is something of a rarity!

Certainly this video referee is not for Swinton.... I do not think we have ever been given a video ref try! Remember Joseph mazy run against Keighley (2011) cancelled out for no one knows what.

Thought Ainscough was impressive in the centre and worked all games, Smith kept rolling forward and kicked well for the full 80 minutes and Richie Hawkyard ran the ball out fast and hard catching them on surprise on a few occasions and turning a good Whitehaven kick into a Swinton advantage.

Impressed with the Whitehaven 13 too.

Need to sort out the defence under that high ball again though - thought we had that sorted now.

Great advert for Rugby, thrilling ending (if we could have converted those three tries we could have been clear 3/6 against Rooneys 4/4.)

And finally, two drop goal attempts and two charge downs, credit to Whitehaven, it looks a lot easier to score drop goals in the Super League!

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#3 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

Well done Paul for starting this thread because your correct we should be talking about last nights game.

Superb entertainment from the start to a thrilling climax at the end. For me I'd have had Smithy as MOM but i'm biased as I always think he gives his all. ( As does Ritchie H as well)

I think the club deserves great credit for the attendance in having the bravery to reduce admission prices to a fiver and in also getting the small sided games on at half time ( great to see Folly youngsters in the trust sponsored kit) and despite the inclusion of Lee Briers, who I thought gave 100% to the Lions, I suspect the crowd would have been in the 1100's.

I'd love to see a rerun of the try in the first half involving Kev Penny that was pure quality.

Lastly a big congratulations to the coaching staff who have started to take some flak on here from one or two people, reading Garry Chambers programme notes after the game really endorsed my feeling that under Watto, Marlon and Garry we will have a team to be proud of......Well Done the Lions.

Quote of the night " Go for Two".......you know who you are.!! lol

#4 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

Totally agree with all the above
Great to see we picked it back up in the sexond half when we looked like we might wither

Edited by mark richardson, 03 May 2013 - 10:23 AM.

#5 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

I like the way you have "sexed" up the forum Mark. It truly was a sexy second half.lol

#6 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

Hahaha:D

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#7 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

Well done Paul for starting this thread because your correct we should be talking about last nights game.
Superb entertainment from the start to a thrilling climax at the end. For me I'd have had Smithy as MOM but i'm biased as I always think he gives his all. ( As does Ritchie H as well)
I think the club deserves great credit for the attendance in having the bravery to reduce admission prices to a fiver and in also getting the small sided games on at half time ( great to see Folly youngsters in the trust sponsored kit) and despite the inclusion of Lee Briers, who I thought gave 100% to the Lions, I suspect the crowd would have been in the 1100's.
I'd love to see a rerun of the try in the first half involving Kev Penny that was pure quality.

Lastly a big congratulations to the coaching staff who have started to take some flak on here from one or two people, reading Garry Chambers programme notes after the game really endorsed my feeling that under Watto, Marlon and Garry we will have a team to be proud of......Well Done the Lions.

Was that the well known guy sat on the row in front of you with the Blue No 11 shirt on and the blue baseball cap ? LOL

#8 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

22 passes on the last play of the game and a kick.Mental stuff my heart really was in my mouth at that point I think I would have been inconsolable had they scored from it.

Edited by TIM THE LION, 03 May 2013 - 11:28 AM.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#9 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

There was a nice touch from Lee Briers too as the teams were coming out for the second half and he was shaking hands with the young lads coming off the pitch that had just played.

#10 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

Hmmmm Quite possibly, good shout though because the lads ignored the call and ran in the try.!!

Was that the well known guy sat on the row in front of you with the Blue No 11 shirt on and the blue baseball cap ? LOL

#11 haven94

haven94
  • Coach
  • 316 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

There was a nice touch from Lee Briers too as the teams were coming out for the second half and he was shaking hands with the young lads coming off the pitch that had just played.

well done to swinton on your win we enjoyed our trip down and were looked after before the game with food and great hospitality. good luck for the rest of the season i think without briers we would of won the game pretty easy but thats dr for you we have to live with it. look forward to you coming to the rec last game of season have a safe journey up well done to the haven fans who sang the full 80 mins also.

#12 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

I like the way you have "sexed" up the forum Mark. It truly was a sexy second half.lol

Ha ha...I'm getting to the age where withering is more likely!!

#13 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

Two of the video ref tries were correct but the one that penny missed the guy was at least two yards offside but the video ref didn't have an angle on it so the ref went with the linesman.

Edmund Burke

#14 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

TIM !

LINESMAN !!!

Wash your mouth out we have Touch Judges in RL. They hate being called Linesmen. They are for the fairies game :-)

Riggy

#15 juliancaine

juliancaine
  • Coach
  • 442 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

For me the shout of the night was "ARE YOU WATCHING MALCOM WHITE", it made me laugh uncontrollably.

Edited by juliancaine, 03 May 2013 - 12:19 PM.

#16 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 901 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

Two of the video ref tries were correct but the one that penny missed the guy was at least two yards offside but the video ref didn't have an angle on it so the ref went with the linesman.

Can't agree fully Tim as my recording magically went off seconds before kickoff and came back at the start of the second half but.......I have watched the Ainscough leap attempt and can honestly only see him facing his own line, taking the ball off the defender and dropping it onto his foot, which then travelled backwards for Penny to touch down! I never agree with Ian Smith as he seems to see things others don't. He saw the ball 'propelled forwards' but after many viewings I cannot.

Anyway, we'll done to the Lions and tuck your lip back in Dave Woods, it doesn't suit you!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#17 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

well done to swinton on your win we enjoyed our trip down and were looked after before the game with food and great hospitality. good luck for the rest of the season i think without briers we would of won the game pretty easy but thats dr for you we have to live with it. look forward to you coming to the rec last game of season have a safe journey up well done to the haven fans who sang the full 80 mins also.

As much as I suppose I cant really disagree with you as he scored the interception try that set up our win, I really dont think he got involved in the game much at all. Whenever he did, his passing and movement were first class as you would expect, but he must have had 8 touches of the ball all game!!!

It was nice to see a modern great in a Swinton jersey, and even better to have good banter with a few Warrington lads (who said they would deffo come watch us again). But im afraid as far as progress on the pitch goes, its definitely not the way forward. We need players 110% commited to the cause.

But enough of all that, a good win and an even better game!!! Agree with all the comments about Smith, Ritchie and Ainscough. Mills definitely seemed up for the game, was Cooper playing? (I missed the team announcement) If hes the one im thinking of he had a pretty good game aswell!

If we are going to stay in this league these games are a must win for us, we will also need a couple of shock away wins, its mighty close at the bottom.

Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#18 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

What a good night it was, good weather, good crowd, great atmosphere and two competitive sides playing out a great game to watch.

#19 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

I think most of our lads had a solid game. You can probably pick out at least one big moment from each player. Richie Hawkyard was easily MOM. Sarsfield looked quality, I was impressed with him. And no-one mentioned Ryan Shaw who, IMO, had his best game in a Lions shirt, kicking aside. Ainscough is just consistently brilliant. The pass out of the back of his hand from Smith for our second try is pure class.

As for the video ref, both decisions are dodgy for me, I think Shaw had robbed the ball before the other tacklers came in. I think if that was a "normal" game the ref would have given the try.

Rooney was threatening all game and Doran also had a great game for Haven.

BTW, Daz Hawkyard has a broken hand and is out for around 4 weeks according to Twitter. Big blow for us.

#20 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

Doran was playing his 350th professional game last night. Long time since he was in the Lions academy playing with Wayne English, Andy Coley and Martin Gleeson !
Still a good player though.

I see Lee didn't make the Warrington 19 for this weekends game. Hope we get him back again next week but one can only dream !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users