TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Super League 2 leagues of 12

• Please log in to reply
561 replies to this topic

#1 Chariots

Chariots
  • Coach
  • 533 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

Halifax Courier reporting two leagues of 12 in 2015

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/

Edited by Chariots, 03 May 2013 - 09:59 AM.

#2 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

Link to the story, although what's already been written in this thread is pretty much all that's in there

http://www.halifaxco...e-way-1-5640219

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#3 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

Halifax Courier reporting two teams of 12 in 2015

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/

I know things are a bit tight money wise in RL, but surely reducing the league to just the two teams, and getting rid of an extra player is a bit of an extreme measure to shore up the game?

Which two will it be?

#4 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

I know things are a bit tight money wise in RL, but surely reducing the league to just the two teams, and getting rid of an extra player is a bit of an extreme measure to shore up the game?

Which two will it be?

Well London is a key team, so they must be in, and the other is probably Catalans to keep the European nature of the League.

Everyone else is in a 36 team Championship with a top 24 play off at the end of the year.

#5 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

less gate money for the 12 teams in the top flight income from 11 home games as opposed to 13 home games as at present. and don't forget catalans and london bring very few if any away support. so on basic economic grounds it would be a disaster........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#6 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

Which two will it be?

:lol:  radical thinking!

#7 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

:lol:  radical thinking!

Quite! Will it be Leeds and Wigan playing each other every week for 24 weeks, then the ding dong Grand Final!

Still at least with a 2 team league we will be spared the stupidity of the current play off system! 

#8 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

Less is not more.

Somebody will still finish bottom, and so then the argument will be that we should reduce it to 10.

The NRL is supposed to be the model we're following, what is it they have in their top flight? 8, 10, 12, 14 no 16.

No doubt Salford will be in, despite being a basket case a few weeks ago.  Is that how we should run a sport?

Anyway, the above is a bit of reactionary guff, let's wait and see shall we.  I'd be gutted if my side were yet again excluded from their rightful place at the top table, especially after how they have been restructured in recent years.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#9 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,959 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

Just to clarify on what is being proposed.

The idea, as far as I understand it, is that the two bottom teams will be relegated from Super League at the end of 2014, regardless of which teams they will be. There could even be three teams relegated if the clubs decide they want Toulouse in the competition in 2015 with a TV deal possibly on the table from BeIn Sport.

There will then be two divisions of 12 each, which will play each other once (eleven games) in the first half of the season.

In the second half of the season, those clubs will split into three divisions of eight teams, depending on finishing places in the first half of the season. The bottom four Super League clubs will be in with the top four Championship clubs (which may include the two SL clubs relegated the previous season). Those teams will play each other at home and away (14 games) in the second half of the season.

The top four clubs in the second tier, at the end of that season, will then return to Super League for 2016.

#10 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

That seems remarkably convoluted

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#11 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

I think we should have 2 leagues of 10, with each club playing the clubs in each league home and away, and the clubs in the other league once, giving 14 home games, and making sure that SL2 teams get some decent pay days. Add Toulouse somewhere, as well, probably SL2, and make sure SL2 gets a decent share of the TV money.

Just seen Martyn's proposal. I like it. I prefer mine but that one would work.

Edited by Exiled Wiganer, 03 May 2013 - 09:52 AM.

#12 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

less gate money for the 12 teams in the top flight income from 11 home games as opposed to 13 home games as at present. and don't forget catalans and london bring very few if any away support. so on basic economic grounds it would be a disaster........

I don't think it will be as straight forward as two league of 12. It may start out that way, but there could then be further splits, for the playoffs, and then relegation. Just have to,see what has been proposed, bearing in mind if true, this idea comes from the same people that brought us the club call, and from some one who once suggested points should be given for teams winning at half time.

Edit - just seen Martyn Sadlers post - explains in much greater detail.

Edited by a.n Other, 03 May 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#13 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

I don't like messing around with fixtures. I like one home, one away.

But cheers Martyn for letting us know.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#14 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

The idea, as far as I understand it, is that the two bottom teams will be relegated from Super League at the end of 2014, regardless of which teams they will be. There could even be three teams relegated if the clubs decide they want Toulouse in the competition in 2015 with a TV deal possibly on the table from BeIn Sport.

There will then be two divisions of 12 each, which will play each other once (eleven games) in the first half of the season.

In the second half of the season, those clubs will split into three divisions of eight teams, depending on finishing places in the first half of the season. The bottom four Super League clubs will be in with the top four Championship clubs (which may include the two SL clubs relegated the previous season). Those teams will play each other at home and away (14 games) in the second half of the season.

The top four clubs in the second tier, at the end of that season, will then return to Super League for 2016.

Will it be like that every season or just to freshen things up from 2016 onwards. If not it's ridiculous.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#15 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:58 AM

No mention of play-offs yet, so that could be another round of repeat fixtures.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#16 Theboyem

Theboyem
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:59 AM

The lunatics really are running the asylum.

#17 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,959 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

The Labour Party manifesto for the 1983 general election was described as the longest suicide note in history, and I would compare this proposal to that.

It's about Rugby League losing its belief in itself, and not recognising that shuffling the cards makes that all too obvious.

It isn't addressing the real issues that affect the game.

It's unnecessary and will do great damage.

#18 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,959 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

The lunatics really are running the asylum.

Unfortunately you couldn't be more correct!

#19 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

Unless the Sky money is more evenly shared across the proposed two divisions, this will just displace the current moaning. Instead of complaining about the lack of automatic P&R, people will complain that teams of part-timers have no chance against teams of full-timers in that little end of season middle division thing.

And what happens to DR? Could a part time team fill their side with full timers from their DR partner? Could a player sent out on DR end up playing against his parent club in the middle division?

Don't like.

#20 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

Say what?!?!?!?!

That sounds almost as complicated to explain as the current 8 team play offs. And as pointless.

Edited by foozler, 03 May 2013 - 10:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users