RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Super League 2 leagues of 12

• Please log in to reply
561 replies to this topic

#181 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

Lobby - poor Leigh would become a third division club, but with P & R.

Enjoy!

I'd settle for that. I think the proposed structure would really allow us to grow crowds and attract wealthy business support. There is no chance of this when the pathway is as it is at the moment.

I cant see any negatives really

#182 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,359 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

Parky - were B and C also one up/down? Disappoiting if it is. I think 2up/down would allow for greater movement opportunity and more chance of a Welsh or non- heartland club of making SL in my lifetime

Option A said one up and once down B & C didn't say I assume one up and one down.

Anyway if it comes off enjoy, and I hope it revitalises your club.

#183 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,359 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

1. Parky theres a massive difference between being not able to spend up to the Cap limit at £ 1.65m and getting £ 180,000 per annum. A lower salary cap would not only be more affordable for clubs already in the Super League but also for aspirant clubs in the Championship. It would also place more emphasis on junior development with the bigger clubs being forced by a smaller cap to redistribute some of their juniors elsewhere within Super League and the championship making for a more even and vibrant competition.

2. I wonder if there is a connection between these behind the scenes moves and the decisions of Steve O'Connor and Neil Hudgell both to take a back seat at their clubs and seek additional investment for unless the cap is lowered you are asking benefactors to continue pumping in money as opposed to having clubs that are able to "wash their face" as Ian Lenegan puts it.

1. Like you I am a bit cheesed off that the lowering of the salary cap is something that on the face of it is a backward step, but in the circumstances of the realities of the game could be a positive thing, and i do wish this would be considered seriously. It's even the one area Mr. Keighley and i can agree on!

I fear the chairmen of top clubs self interest in the silence on this suggestion.

2. That Hudgell, O'Connor and Fulton came out and said what they said in the run up to this announcement smacks of them taking the decision of "not a penny more" until the future format of Superleague is decided. They will have known what is coming up.

The possible drop to 12 or even 10 in Superleague will I suspect have made them take the decision no more money from me until I know what is happening and what can happen to my club.

For this "solution" now announced the question is what WILL happen to these three clubs in the new set up now we know both format and funding??

#184 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,594 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

If people don't get the paper the three other suggestions were....

A. as we are with one up and one down

B. SL1 12 clubs SL2 10 clubs P & R between the two divisions

C. Four divisions of 10 P & R between each

And none of these options involve the central funding for Broncos that you assured us repeatedly would happen. 

#185 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,908 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:03 AM

This sounds like a horrendous idea. I've no problem with trying to revitalise the championship but if we are going to do it we need to commit to it and not do it in such a half ar5ed way. A top league of 10 given £1m a year and a second tier of 12 given £500,000 for me that's the minimum required if we're going to bring back P and R. The suggested funding is just going to mean going back to promoted teams being rebuilt and relegated teams being dismantled.

#186 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,359 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

This sounds like a horrendous idea. I've no problem with trying to revitalise the championship but if we are going to do it we need to commit to it and not do it in such a half ar5ed way. A top league of 10 given £1m a year and a second tier of 12 given £500,000 for me that's the minimum required if we're going to bring back P and R. The suggested funding is just going to mean going back to promoted teams being rebuilt and relegated teams being dismantled.

Indeed one key is in the SKY funding, but it is also in the funding that comes from private individuals and crowds.

So things will depend on what the rich men want to do, and how the fans react.

Complex........

#187 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,503 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:34 AM

If people don't get the paper the three other suggestions were....

A. as we are with one up and one down

B. SL1 12 clubs SL2 10 clubs P & R between the two divisions

C. Four divisions of 10 P & R between each

so it looks like a decent mix of ideas to me. Some radical, some tweaks. Interesting that the journo only posted the radical one here a few days back to get the crowd worked up. Very poor imho.

#188 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,142 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

The only thing that concerns me is that you don't really gain much by winning SL2 or SL3. There needs to be more of an aim IMO. Here's a suggestion (that I doubt will go down well but here goes!)...

The play-offs for the 3 tiers are:

SL Championship play-offs - Top 5 SL1 + Top of SL2 in a 6-team play-off.

SL top-tier promotion - 1st-3rd in SL2 + play-off winner.
SL top-tier promotion play-offs - 4th-8th in SL2 + 1st-3rd in SL3 in a 8-team play-off.

Means that everyone has something to play for throughout the season in all tiers, ##### up in the first 11 games doesn't end your season, and not only is there a promotion dream for the second tier, but a SLGF dream!
Posted Image

#189 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

before we change anything, has anybody at the RFL been in touch with SKY and BT (the only two with money of any decent amount) to see if they would be interested in showing SL2 or the teams below the top 8 mid season.

SKY seem to be happy with two games per week.

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#190 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

KPMG CONSULTANCY PEOPLE:))) I hope these are not the same ones that visited the dragons a few years ago to inspect the books as they seemed more interested in inspecting a certain establishment over the border in Spain:)))))))))))

Isn't KPMG the firm that vetted the Sl licence applications of such as Bradford, Salford, Crusaders and Wakefield and comcluded  they were A  OK  ? Dosn't fill me with confidence.

#191 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

As this is Rugby League, It's probably the oinly place where turkeys do vote for Xmas...

All this will lead to is bankrupcies as clubs at the lower splash the cash to stay in Super League. As has been already pointed out on this forum the difference between SL1 and SL2 funding will sink the chances of the promoted club being able to compete and the clubs that drop out of Super League 1 will just go out of business - London being Exhibit A but this would also apply to other clubs such as Castleford that are not cashed up now.

The end of franchising for sure, but as things stand it just represents , as with the expanded and pointless World Club Challenge, an attempt by the bigger clubs to jettison some of the "runts" from Super League they believe hold them back and take a larger slice of whatever Pay TV money the "filler" sport gets .

No wonder John Kear believes that professional RL in the northern hemisphere will be gone within 50 years. It will speed up the process of becomning a feeder league for the NRL and RFU as I have been posting about for the last 12 months and is now the new orthodoxy in the fourth estate.

Pardon me but I do not see a strategic plan about dealing with the real issues, i.e.

Lowering the Salary Cap to allow more clubs to compete

Promoting a sound business model in all Rugby League Clubs with minimal operational losses

Investing in Junior development nationally

Expanding the games footprint nationally

Developing centralised commercial and merchandising revenue to maximise income and exposure

Trusting in the games ability to renew itself so that as young players do drift over to the NRL and RFU they are replaced by newcomers who maintain the standards of the players that left creating a vibrant cometition that sponsors want to associate with 

And developing a competition that not only attracts more than one Pay TV bidder but also has packages available for FTA.

But then this is not a sport that believes in short term pain for long term gain is it..., :(

That's absolutely spot on. You should take over from the fat controller, it woud be impossible for you to do a worse job.

#192 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:50 PM

Indeed one key is in the SKY funding, but it is also in the funding that comes from private individuals and crowds.

So things will depend on what the rich men want to do, and how the fans react.

Complex........

Who are the voters who will decide on this.? If it is the 14 SL clubs then it may not pass. The bottom group could include any from London, Cas, Wakefield, Hull KR, Widnes, Salford. That's five. Then clubs who are hovering around the cut off point, currently St Helens, Catalans, Bradford might have second thoughts. That's 8, so not a majority for the proposals.

Then, have they considered what they would do with Catalans if they dropped down ? Also if they are serious about Toulouse, where are they going to be placed and that will be another potential Sl club, the one who wouild be displaced by them, possibly voting against  this proposition.

Complex indeed.

#193 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

Hopefully this won't be accepted. What with this and the feeder club scenario we are standing precariously on a tightrope.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#194 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,142 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

I still don't see why it's such a bad idea!
Posted Image

#195 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

Well I'd say go for the one that I posted some pages back, but of course I would wouldn't I.

Wakefield have implemented a long term business plan to get crowd figures and then revenue up to 10,000. The first phase included a cheaper season ticket and increased investment on Belle Vue to improve the atmosphere, it also included a lot of money invested on retail, foor and beverage outlets within the ground the revenue from which goes a long way toward offsetting the cheap season ticket.
Over the next 3 seasons the season ticket price will rise but the attendances, now averaging 8,300, should largely stay in place or be even bigger. A drop into a second tier SL will completely scupper that business plan and will set back the progress toward a 10,000 crowd perhaps forever.

The proposed RFL plan is terribly flawed and once more exposes those running the game for the fools they are.

Edited by OMEGA, 06 May 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#196 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,908 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

Isn't KPMG the firm that vetted the Sl licence applications of such as Bradford, Salford, Crusaders and Wakefield and comcluded they were A OK ? Dosn't fill me with confidence.

They did look at the applications but they never said they were A ok.

#197 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

Meaningful games the whole season through, P and R, top 8 league format.
Relegation and Promotion battle in the same season for the bottom 4 SL clubs, just needs the funding sorting, the promoted 4 teams from the lower league must be given the funds to compete against the 4 coming down from SL. IN FAVOUR.

#198 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

You people continue to forget the foundations

This is a whole game review.

Start by chopping Academy to those that produce , and Scholarship to those who might........

And invest in Community clubs so  heavily that it starts to hurt..........

You want another Sam Tomkins,   simple -  put 10k + each year minimum in his club and others like his    What was that film ?  ' Build a field and they will come.'......

If Ralph Rimmer's review includes that, then we can start to progress....

Otherwise this game is stuffed.....He presents to the Community Board tomorrow....

#199 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,142 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Well I'd say go for the one that I posted some pages back, but of course I would wouldn't I.

Wakefield have implemented a long term business plan to get crowd figures and then revenue up to 10,000. The first phase included a cheaper season ticket and increased investment on Belle Vue to improve the atmosphere, it also included a lot of money invested on retail, foor and beverage outlets within the ground the revenue from which goes a long way toward offsetting the cheap season ticket.
Over the next 3 seasons the season ticket price will rise but the attendances, now averaging 8,300, should largely stay in place or be even bigger. A drop into a second tier SL will completely scupper that business plan and will set back the progress toward a 10,000 crowd perhaps forever.

The proposed RFL plan is terribly flawed and once more exposes those running the game for the fools they are.

So basically you want Wakefield to have a nice secure tenure in SL to grow their business? That's a fair opinion in favour of the licensing route. Personally, as long as the club are ran well enough ON the field, I don't see how the plan can't be maintained? The season tickets will still have been sold, so should Wakefield drop to tier two in the mid-season shuffle they'll still have the tickets sold (and under my proposal, they'll still have the chance to reach the play-offs and win the league so plenty still to play for).
Posted Image

#200 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,392 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

You people continue to forget the foundations

This is a whole game review.

Start by chopping Academy to those that produce , and Scholarship to those who might........

And invest in Community clubs so  heavily that it starts to hurt..........

You want another Sam Tomkins,   simple -  put 10k + each year minimum in his club and others like his    What was that film ?  ' Build a field and they will come.'......

If Ralph Rimmer's review includes that, then we can start to progress....

Otherwise this game is stuffed.....He presents to the Community Board tomorrow....

Getting the community game right has to be a priority. By 'getting it right' I mean, "stop it resembling Scottish football on a particularly mad day".
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users