Super League 2 leagues of 12

• Please log in to reply
561 replies to this topic

#201 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

Getting the community game right has to be a priority. By 'getting it right' I mean, "stop it resembling Scottish football on a particularly mad day".

Don't know much about  Scottish Football but the NCL and Pennine Leagues run their competitions better than most., the RFL included    ... :)

#202 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,510 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

Isn't KPMG the firm that vetted the Sl licence applications of such as Bradford, Salford, Crusaders and Wakefield and comcluded  they were A  OK  ? Dosn't fill me with confidence.

They didn't give any of those clubs "A"'s.

Only four clubs were AOK.

And they did not go bust.

#203 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,510 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

They did look at the applications but they never said they were A ok.

Sorry Bob you beat me to it!

#204 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,510 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:32 PM

Wakefield have implemented a long term business plan to get crowd figures and then revenue up to 10,000. The first phase included a cheaper season ticket and increased investment on Belle Vue to improve the atmosphere, it also included a lot of money invested on retail, foor and beverage outlets within the ground the revenue from which goes a long way toward offsetting the cheap season ticket.
Over the next 3 seasons the season ticket price will rise but the attendances, now averaging 8,300, should largely stay in place or be even bigger. A drop into a second tier SL will completely scupper that business plan and will set back the progress toward a 10,000 crowd perhaps forever.

The proposed RFL plan is terribly flawed and once more exposes those running the game for the fools they are.

There's something to be said for SL holding it's nerve and continuing to build towards 14 clubs all self sufficient...

That'll leave everyone else in the wilderness though??

#205 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,731 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

So why are people still focusing on the radical proposal and ignoring the other ones?

Is it just so you can continue to be outraged?

#206 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,036 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

So why are people still focusing on the radical proposal and ignoring the other ones?

Is it just so you can continue to be outraged?

I like the radical one!
Posted Image

#207 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,731 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

I like the radical one!

Im not against it myself mate. Id prefer the split to come later but Im ok with radical thinking.

#208 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,980 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

I can't see how any Championship club could support the proposals being put forward with regard to the middle 8 team league.

There will be 4 teams from SL all on a salary cap of £1.25 million playing against 4 Championship clubs on a salary cap of £180,000.    On top of that the 4 SL clubs are allowed to recruit up to 5 foreign players whilst the Championship clubs are only allowed 1.    The 4 SL clubs will almost certainly be filled with full-time professional players whilst the Championships 4 teams will in the main be part-time professionals.

I can see why SL teams fans think this is a good idea as if their team is in that bottom 4 at the half-way stage then they are most likely to be the favourites to go back up for next season but for Championship teams fans all I can see is another unfair system favouring SL clubs.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#209 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

They said Crusaders were financially stable when they had already racked up County Court Judgements. They obviously didn't bother to check.

#210 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,394 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

Don't know much about  Scottish Football but the NCL and Pennine Leagues run their competitions better than most., the RFL included    ... :)

So I'm told. The issue is that they run them quasi-independently. Rugby league will only develop if we're all going in the same direction - doesn't matter how good the individual sections are if they don't fit into the whole.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#211 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,036 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

I can't see how any Championship club could support the proposals being put forward with regard to the middle 8 team league.

There will be 4 teams from SL all on a salary cap of £1.25 million playing against 4 Championship clubs on a salary cap of £180,000. On top of that the 4 SL clubs are allowed to recruit up to 5 foreign players whilst the Championship clubs are only allowed 1. The 4 SL clubs will almost certainly be filled with full-time professional players whilst the Championships 4 teams will in the main be part-time professionals.

I can see why SL teams fans think this is a good idea as if their team is in that bottom 4 at the half-way stage then they are most likely to be the favourites to go back up for next season but for Championship teams fans all I can see is another unfair system favouring SL clubs.

Who says the salary cap and overseas quota would remain as it is?

Surely the top Championship clubs would prefer more games against bigger clubs with bigger support to gain more revenue and more "chance" to gain promotion than what they currently have?
Posted Image

#212 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:01 PM

Surely the top Championship clubs would prefer more games against bigger clubs with bigger support to gain more revenue and more "chance" to gain promotion than what they currently have?

Seconded

#213 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,980 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

So, do you think they are going to give all 12 clubs in the SL2 the same as those in SL1?     If not then there is bound to be an imbalance.   

Do you honestly think any Championship club would have a chance in such a group as this when all the cards are stacked in favour of the SL clubs?

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#214 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

So basically you want Wakefield to have a nice secure tenure in SL to grow their business? That's a fair opinion in favour of the licensing route. Personally, as long as the club are ran well enough ON the field, I don't see how the plan can't be maintained? The season tickets will still have been sold, so should Wakefield drop to tier two in the mid-season shuffle they'll still have the tickets sold (and under my proposal, they'll still have the chance to reach the play-offs and win the league so plenty still to play for).

What I'm getting at is Im fed up with chopping and changing for the sake of it, im sick of people who seem to have very little business acumen making decisions which effect everyone and don't allow for clubs to plan more than 12 months ahead. I cited just one club whom I know something about but the point is relevant for everyone.

#215 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

What I'm getting at is Im fed up with chopping and changing for the sake of it, im sick of people who seem to have very little business acumen making decisions which effect everyone and don't allow for clubs to plan more than 12 months ahead. I cited just one club whom I know something about but the point is relevant for everyone.

With all due respect Wakefield played the system until the system caught up with them. It was only a major investor that stopped them hitting the buffers. Licencing was the attraction because it protected invested funds.

Surely we need a system that promotes progressive clubs rather than protecting those on life support for years and years until someone can be bothered to put their money in.

#216 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,036 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

So, do you think they are going to give all 12 clubs in the SL2 the same as those in SL1? If not then there is bound to be an imbalance.

Do you honestly think any Championship club would have a chance in such a group as this when all the cards are stacked in favour of the SL clubs?

No I don't think the funds will be spread evenly, but I do think the lower clubs will get more funding than they did.

Of course there will be an imbalance. But will that imbalance be more than there is currently in SL? In recent years, top of the Championship vs bottom of the SL have seen closer matches than top of the SL vs bottom of the SL. So yes, I do think they'd stand a chance.
Posted Image

#217 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,980 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

No I don't think the funds will be spread evenly, but I do think the lower clubs will get more funding than they did.

£180,000 is an increase on what Championship clubs receive now and it is the figure mentioned in today's RLE as coming from a League official!!!!!!!

#218 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,837 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

You misunderstand me. A OK is just a phrase to signify approval, not that they gave them A s. What they did do was vet their applications and tell the RFL there was no problems with them and on that basis the clubs were granted a SL licence which was clearly a mistake as they all went bust or came perilously close to doing so. So KPMG being involved in the current matters does not seem to make the process foolproof.

#219 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

just read all the proposals....

id go with 4 leagues of 10 with 1up&1down P&R...keep it simple

id also rule that every club has to run youth teams (u20,u18 etc)

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#220 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

""Super League clubs would continue to receive around £1,200,000 per year whilst the "Super League 2" would each receive around £180,000, RFL officials are confident that despite the disparity in income the eight teams in the middle tier will produce a competitive league""

Does that mean that if you start the season in SL1 you get £1.2m and if you start the season in SL2 you get £180K?

If so, you'd have to say that a team like Fev this season would fancy their chances in a 14 match comp with the likes of Cas, London, Salford, Widnes, Halifax, Sheffield & Batley wouldn't you? They only have to finish in the top 4.

If they do,the following season they get £1.2m. So long as they don't waste all that money, they have a good chance of then staying in that group of 4 between SL1 & SL2 and then gradually build the club up, to move from the bottom 4 in SL1 to the top 8 in SL1.

Seems to give them a lot more chance to grow year on year than the current system.

Clubs like them and Sheffield & Halifax, seem to have built steadily over the past few years. Why shouldn't they continue to do so under this system which gives them some games against bigger opposition (eg Wakey, Cas, Widnes etc) and then strike lucky one season and finish in the top four and get a crack in the top flight.

Has the potential to give clubs a chance to grow into SL1 clubs without it being boom or bust.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users