Super League 2 leagues of 12

• Please log in to reply
561 replies to this topic

#41 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

Trying to please everybody is going to cause a hell of a mess for our game. Why are people trying to recreate the sporting landscape of the 19th Century?

Lots of self interest and a governing body that doesn't appear to actually have the powers required to govern as it can only act on the majority vote from the clubs.

#42 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

Sounds good to me. The game has become stale and crowds are dwindling at many SL and almost all Championship clubs, so what's a better alternative to this? Trying to please everybody is absolutely the way to go in order to reinvigorate our struggling sport. Bring it on for me.

I don't think it's fair to say that crowds are dwindling - there appears to be some challenges this year but I would put that more down to the economy so we need to be careful not to knee-jerk.

That said, there are more and more vocal fans who appear to have taken Leeds' recent victories badly and now talk down the regular rounds. If the cut is after only 11 rounds teams need to hit the ground running.

It's fair to say that in Rugby league (and probably sport in general in this country) that people seem to find it difficult to discuss these ideas without going to the extremes.

It's either a farce and it will kill the game, or it's the only way and the game will die if we don't do it.

I try and stay somewhere in the middle, there are benefits and challenges around every idea.

#43 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 655 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

I like it too.  My only concern would be repeat fixtures.  Presumably there would be something like a top five play off also because to have anymore than that in an eight team final league would be silly.

Agree - top 4 in a straight knockout would be my preference.

This would then free up an extra few weeks of fixtures for an expanded WCC

#44 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:49 AM

This system will also help reduce the gap in the top teams and lower teams.  if this was implemented now then the likes of Salford/London would have played the big boys, then onto the larger championship teams like Halifax.  It gives the likes of Halifax the opportunity to play top tier teams 8 times in a season, with the chance of playing them all the year after.

It would be 11 games in first part of season, then 14 games in the split divisions, then the play offs.

#45 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,162 posts

I like the daft idea that in "second half season" the 8th placed team in the Elite could do a Huddersfield, blob out and not win a game, and the 9th could do a Wakefield, go on a huge winning streak, and there's sod all anyone can do about it.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#46 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

With regard to the top 8, I'd preferably go for a straight knockout play off at the end of year.

1st vs 4th
2nd vs 3rd

Lacks the intensity if there's 8 teams gunning for 5 or 6 spots, I want to see the team sat 3rd and 4th constantly looking over their shoulder. Sam for 1 and 2 fearing losing home advantage

#47 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

I'd definitely agree to the play offs being a straight knock out (which IMO they should have been all along anyway) and yes, such an arrangement would open up the possibility of an expanded WCC (which I'm not in favour of) or just a regular round of international matches with enough time for those who are likely to form the majority of the international team to have a rest.

#48 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

Let's not forget that GH has already flown out to Australia to negotiate an expanded WCC.  I'd love to see an expanded comp, and I'd love Leeds NOT to qualify.  I'm sick of this man being held up as an example for other chairmen to follow.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#49 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

I like the daft idea that in "second half season" the 8th placed team in the Elite could do a Huddersfield, blob out and not win a game, and the 9th could do a Wakefield, go on a huge winning streak, and there's sod all anyone can do about it.

You'd just have to pray that your team doesnt have a bad injury run in the first 11 games!

#50 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

I am coming round to the idea. The key as always will be the funding of it.

#51 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

Let's not forget that GH has already flown out to Australia to negotiate an expanded WCC.  I'd love to see an expanded comp, and I'd love Leeds NOT to qualify.  I'm sick of this man being held up as an example for other chairmen to follow.

Correct, he really has managed Leeds terribly!   :rolleyes:

#52 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

You'd just have to pray that your team doesnt have a bad injury run in the first 11 games!

Indeed.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#53 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

Four groups with four teams in each is what I'd like to see, with no promotion or relegation.

Just copy the NFL model as best we can.

#54 emigrated roughyed

emigrated roughyed
  • Coach
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

I like it, keeps everyone on there toes. Those in the championship would have lots to play for, potentially all season at worst half a season. My only concern would be now that there are new clubs popping up in new areas, how could they join the new superleague two? I hope it wont become a closed shop, maybe the bottom third play to not be relegated.

#55 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

I also have reservations about the second half fixtures being rather short notice, what with fans needing to book trips to France.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#56 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

There are lots of questions that need answered before a proper judgement can be made on this.

Funding - how is it going to be allocated ? Do the 4 teams who drop out of SL at the half-way point lose their Sky money from that point as they are no longer in SL ? Or is it pooled and spread equally between the 4 coming down and the 4 coming up to make the second tier ? How can clubs structure player's contracts to accommodate it ?

Salary Cap - assuming the SL and the other leagues have different salary caps still, then what happens with the merged league of bottom 4 SL clubs and top 4 Championship clubs ? Do they all get to work to the SL cap, do the clubs continue to work to their previous cap (meaning a lopsided advantage to the ex-SL clubs) or will their be a hybrid cap ? If the 'relegated' clubs suddenly have a smaller cap will they have to release players mid-season to the 'promoted' clubs who suddenly find themselves with space on their increased cap ?

#57 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

Trying to please everybody is going to cause a hell of a mess for our game. Why are people trying to recreate the sporting landscape of the 19th Century?

At the elite level we have the players for 12 teams, we have the finances for 12 teams, we have the spectator numbers for 12 teams, we have the corporate support for 12 teams, we have the media interest for 12 teams. So, naturally, we should create a structure where we attempt to involve 24 teams!

I honestly see myself as a fan of the game, rather than one particular club, and I can't see anything positive coming from this. We should be focusing our limited resources on creating a genuinely elite competition and use that to create further resources. Spreading what little we've got on 24 clubs is nothing short of ludicrous. 

This.

#58 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

I like it, keeps everyone on there toes. Those in the championship would have lots to play for, potentially all season at worst half a season. My only concern would be now that there are new clubs popping up in new areas, how could they join the new superleague two? I hope it wont become a closed shop, maybe the bottom third play to not be relegated.

Yes that occurred to me too, there are currently 14, 14 and 9. Unlucky 13 left for Championship National League Premiership 1-2?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#59 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 655 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

Yes that occurred to me too, there are currently 14, 14 and 9. Unlucky 13 left for Championship National League Premiership 1-2?

Well, with Coventry bears looking to be entered in 2014 that would make up the numbers?

You would like to think that if a team is ready to step up then you could increase the numbers in the league?  it would be a licensing system again

#60 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

Well, with Coventry bears looking to be entered in 2014 that would make up the numbers?

You would like to think that if a team is ready to step up then you could increase the numbers in the league?  it would be a licensing system again

14-14-10 then if that was next year. To 12-12-14 then in 2015?

edit: then from mid-2015; 8-8-8 and what, 4-4-2-3-1...?! ;)

Edited by hindle xiii, 03 May 2013 - 11:17 AM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users