Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Super League 2 leagues of 12

• Please log in to reply
561 replies to this topic

#61 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,909 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

Season ticket sales will be interesting under this structure, especially for those clubs who fall into the category of not knowing which league they'll be in for the second half of the season. If you were a Cas fan, for example, would you buy a SL-priced season ticket if there's a very good chance you'll be playing half of it in the 2nd tier ? Or will clubs have to sell half-season tickets and re-price accordingly for the 2nd half of the season ?

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#62 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

Oh and the proposal is 90% the same as what the SPL rejected, except they were to play 22 games first instead of our 11. http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/22151308

Edited by hindle xiii, 03 May 2013 - 11:18 AM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#63 Auntie Linzi Morris

Auntie Linzi Morris
  • Coach
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

Just to focus on one element of this, the bottom four of level 1 dropping down to play the top four at level 2.

Looking back at the last four seasons, here's a summary of the bottom four teams after Round 13 (where teams have, more or less, played each other once) along with their final position in brackets.

Perhaps interesting to note that in three of the last four years a team has improved their form enough in the second half of the season to finish in a top eight spot, with a team narrowly missing out by only two points in the other season.

*** 2012 ***
Castleford (13)
Wakefield (8)
London (12)
Widnes (14)

*** 2011 ***
Bradford (10)
Hull KR (7)
Wakefield (13)
Crusaders (14)

*** 2010 ***
Castleford (9)
Quins (13)
Salford (12)
Catalans (14)

*** 2009 ***
Bradford (9)
Catalans (8)
Salford (13)
Celtic (14)

#64 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 667 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

Can I just ask, are these proposals for ever more (about 5 years in RFL time) or is it just a way of establishing a set 12 teams to play in SL under a licensing structure. If it is the former, after initially thinking it’s a bizarre way to go I am warming to the idea as long as the funding is proportionate. There is no point the top 12 receiving circa triple what the bottom 12 get. A 60/40 (at a push 70/30) split would be satisfactory. Of course the top clubs are so well run they will be able to cope with the reduced central funding so they won’t mind.  

#65 matt855617

matt855617
  • Twitter
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

Superleague money to be spread thinner not the best idea.

we need to have one 12 team competition with profitable clubs so that the game can expand, once clubs can prove they will have a sound financial and developmental base they should be admitted to the league, examples of the NBA, NFL, NRL, where franchises are only admitted if they can prove financial backing, good marketing and a good development structure, all the clubs need to market more, and become profitable.

Big city clubs like Sheffield should be admitted big town clubs like York, Nottingham, all should be admitted as developmental teams to the championship, to become Super league clubs.

#66 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

I like it - seems to tick all the boxes.

- Something for all clubs to play for throughout the season.

- Gives clubs the opportunity for promotion and relegation each year.

- Opportunity for multiple TV packages.

- Second half of season gives an elite league for the shield, a secondary league for promotion and relegation and a plate, and a tertiary league for developing teams to win the bowl.

The first two could just as easily be achieved by keeping the leagues as they are and introducing a bottom 2 of SL, top 2 of Championship end of season play off.

#67 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

The first two could just as easily be achieved by keeping the leagues as they are and introducing a bottom 2 of SL, top 2 of Championship end of season play off.

Not with out a change in Salary Caps and funding.

#68 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

Not with out a change in Salary Caps and funding.

Is such a change being proposed?

#69 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,762 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

Most of the teams won't have much to play for in the first phase - only those around the dividing marks.

I hate the idea that the fixtures for May onwards won't be available till, well, end of April. And I'll be interested to see how season ticket sales are affected - you just won't know what you're going to get.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#70 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

Whoever brought this ludicrous suggestion to the table should be sacked on the spot for incompetence.

If the people in charge at the RFL can't do the job to the required standard and/or are incapable of making the tough decisions then they should go as well.

If I didn't know better I'd accuse those running our game of being Union saboteurs deliberately dismantling the game in order to force a reunification, I know that's not the case because I know those running the game are just stupid not malicious.

#71 jaybs

jaybs
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

I can't see how they bring in any change to Super League in 2014 when there is a licence system in operation!

The ideas on the table seem to be scraping the barrel and show desperation of change.

It is time now before any change that we have a complete change at the top at Red Hall, the current CEO has been in control while the game has been allowed to deteriate in a serious way, what is needed is someone who is in touch with modern sport as it is run now, the game can no longer be run as it is now.

#72 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

It looks like some kind of SPL hand-me-down.

Exactly. A truly awful, ill conceived idea. Truly terrible!

Two leagues of 12 I can live with. This is a ludicrous plan that's entirely flawed. It would also give us either a 29 or, worse still, 36-game regular season! Is this really what people want??

#73 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:56 AM

Let's not get carried away, it's not a brilliant idea but you can see what they are trying to do. My first reaction was along the lines of, '######, there's a chance we'll end up in the bottom two next year.' I think we have missed that desperation to win games in Super League.

I agree with Martyn in that it looks desperate. It certainly doesn't look like the sort of proposal that a vibrant healthy sport would make rather feeling like a bizarre plan to inject some life into the game. I very much doubt that fans would take to the idea regardless of the difficult questions about funding, season tickets, full-time contracts etc.

I'm not too bothered about the desire to move away from licensing so much, as an experiment I think its failing and that we're currently overseeing a decline at the top level largely facilitated by the staleness that it creates across the league until the playoffs. The playoffs of course being a useless top-8 system doesn't help matters and would be an easier initial fix to the problem of meaningless games for half a season. They need to make the position you finish in really mean something, which means a return to the top 6, which itself won't work well in a 14 team league where half the clubs stand next to no chance of making it in the next 5 years. 

If I was a suspicious person, I'd wonder whether the plan had been tabled in the knowledge that it'll be rejected. Then the RFL can claim that they offered a P&R solution that was rejected and then carry on under licensing. 

#74 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,165 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

The silence you can hear is the sound of Parky apologising for telling everybody that central funding for Broncos was the reason why a restructuring of the league was being discussed.

#75 Godzilla

Godzilla
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

Most of the teams won't have much to play for in the first phase - only those around the dividing marks.

I hate the idea that the fixtures for May onwards won't be available till, well, end of April. And I'll be interested to see how season ticket sales are affected - you just won't know what you're going to get.

You are assuming the results in phase 1 don't get carried forward to phase 2, I suspect they would do for the top and bottom divisions.

#76 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

I can't see how they bring in any change to Super League in 2014 when there is a licence system in operation!

The ideas on the table seem to be scraping the barrel and show desperation of change.

It is time now before any change that we have a complete change at the top at Red Hall, the current CEO has been in control while the game has been allowed to deteriate in a serious way, what is needed is someone who is in touch with modern sport as it is run now, the game can no longer be run as it is now.

Except it is the clubs and only the clubs who will decide what the format will be, not the RFL.

#77 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 972 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:02 PM

But it's not just the RFL who are presiding over this mess, its the club chairmen.

All of the good that Richard Lewis done for the game is being stripped away piece by piece, yes this has to be the longest suicide note in sporting history.

#78 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:08 PM

Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

At least there is NRL. Think that's the way forward for me.

SL's epitaph should read "It had a go but ultimately lacked courage".

#79 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,165 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

But it's not just the RFL who are presiding over this mess, its the club chairmen.

All of the good that Richard Lewis done for the game is being stripped away piece by piece, yes this has to be the longest suicide note in sporting history.

It is just a proposal. They haven't endorsed it yet or even made it public.

#80 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

Except it is the clubs and only the clubs who will decide what the format will be, not the RFL.

I believe the RFL could reject it though if they saw fit, even if clubs saw fit to vote it through. It's at the risk of the RFL though not wanting to annoy the chairmen.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users