Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Super League 2 leagues of 12

• Please log in to reply
561 replies to this topic

#81 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

You are assuming the results in phase 1 don't get carried forward to phase 2, I suspect they would do for the top and bottom divisions.

Indeed I am. And I would consider it strange if that only applied to the top and bottom but not the middle division.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#82 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

It's got to be a bluff, and opening gambit with the eventual end-game being something less extreme, but something that would be rejected if it were proposed first up.  That way the ones yielding the power can be seen as having negotiated fairly and settled on a solution that the other clubs feel compelled to support.

I like 14, and I like P&R.  What I would like is for Gary Hetherington and his pals to keep their greedy mitts off the structure of the sport.  Sport is a business, and it's not just about the top few clubs making as much money as possible, it's about all clubs being given a structure where they can all build towards profitability.  Look at the strides that the likes of Featherstone and Wakefield have made in the last couple of years, let's not kick them in the teeth again.

If that means we have a structure that allows growth and long term stability and profitability for all in the longterm then lets work at that, what we shouldn't be chasing is a structure which is all about maximising profits for the few.

+1

#83 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

Is such a change being proposed?

No idea.

#84 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

Superleague money to be spread thinner not the best idea.

we need to have one 12 team competition with profitable clubs so that the game can expand, once clubs can prove they will have a sound financial and developmental base they should be admitted to the league, examples of the NBA, NFL, NRL, where franchises are only admitted if they can prove financial backing, good marketing and a good development structure, all the clubs need to market more, and become profitable.

Big city clubs like Sheffield should be admitted big town clubs like York, Nottingham, all should be admitted as developmental teams to the championship, to become Super league clubs.

Nottingham and York have been cities since at least William the conqueror, York since the Romans. Just FYI although I agree both have potential as RL markets since the the soccer teams in both cities are not doing so well.

#85 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

here's my ground breaking view of it all............................leave it as it is!!
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#86 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

This is just one of a number of proposals under discussion, according to Tony Hannan on Twitter.  No idea what the other proposals are though but it's fun dissecting this one.

#87 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,075 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

Nottingham and York have been cities since at least William the conqueror, York since the Romans. Just FYI although I agree both have potential as RL markets since the the soccer teams in both cities are not doing so well.

I've never felt York is a particularly 'sport' city. The Football and Rugby teams have struggled over the years and not threatened the top flight of their sports. The Racecourse isn't one of the big draws in Horse Racing. No idea why, as although it's a small city, it has a large (if sparsely-populated) catchment area.

Edited by Futtocks, 03 May 2013 - 12:43 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#88 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

:O

I want to see the full menu, not this plate of cack.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#89 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

This is just one of a number of proposals under discussion, according to Tony Hannan on Twitter.  No idea what the other proposals are though but it's fun dissecting this one.

Quite, as I and others have said this is just one of the proposals.

A Championship club were promised a place in SL, and it looks like that's not happening.  

#90 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

The interesting bit for me is that the bottom sides would be relegated - no matter who they were.

Potentially this could have been Broncos. Clearly if they ever had immunity to relegation then they no longer do so.

Even odder is the (almost far less likely) possibility of Catalans. Would they really be made to play in a league not all that stronger than the French Elite?

#91 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

The interesting bit for me is that the bottom sides would be relegated - no matter who they were.

Potentially this could have been Broncos. Clearly if they ever had immunity to relegation then they no longer do so.

Even odder is the (almost far less likely) possibility of Catalans. Would they really be made to play in a league not all that stronger than the French Elite?

Wigan have Nathan McAvoy and Tim Jonkers on speed dial. Just in case.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#92 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

I suppose the thing which makes this easier is the fact that you would assume the relegated teams would be at the stronger end of the 2nd Div, meaning that after the 'cut' they would play against the current strong Championship teams and Weaker Sl teams, which is pretty much their level.

#93 Rambo

Rambo
  • Coach
  • 500 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

All too drastic for me.  

Why not one up and one down from each division?  Nice and simple!!

Posted Image

#94 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

The Labour Party manifesto for the 1983 general election was described as the longest suicide note in history, and I would compare this proposal to that.

It's about Rugby League losing its belief in itself, and not recognising that shuffling the cards makes that all too obvious.

It isn't addressing the real issues that affect the game.

It's unnecessary and will do great damage.

Probably best comment on here for some after mine of course! ....and I suppose Hindle will want to be rocgnised too.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#95 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

The game need odd tweaks. This comes out the same day as RU announces 5 games at Wembley for their World Cup (in two years time!). SL to 12. Licencing for Championship with regards to ground etc to allow P and R between SL and Championship with rules and regs like Caps etc becoming closer for top two tiers. ANY new team to play in Championship 1. If a team wins Championship 1 they can then apply for Championship.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#96 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 957 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

The game need odd tweaks. This comes out the same day as RU announces 5 games at Wembley for their World Cup (in two years time!). SL to 12. Licencing for Championship with regards to ground etc to allow P and R between SL and Championship with rules and regs like Caps etc becoming closer for top two tiers. ANY new team to play in Championship 1. If a team wins Championship 1 they can then apply for Championship.

Sorry for going OT, but where did you get 5 matches at Wembley from? They have two there cos the NFL has the stadium booked up the rest of that month.

#97 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 957 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

Thinking a bit more about what Sadler reports, it just all sounds completely crackers.

Surely the two big issues to resolve are the ridiculous SL play off system and the issue of movement between SL and the Championship? My understanding is the format/ structure of the play-offs  rests with the clubs to decide on, so good luck on changing that.

Could the movement between the two leagues not be resolved by simply cutting the license period to 2 years, at the end of which the team finishing bottom of SL is automatically relegated provided the Championship winner has met the minimum license standards?

#98 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,937 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

There are lots of questions that need answered before a proper judgement can be made on this.

Funding - how is it going to be allocated ?

The biggest question of the lot and until we know the proposal for TV payments to clubs it's not possible to work out the likely effects of this.

#99 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Just to clarify on what is being proposed.

The idea, as far as I understand it, is that the two bottom teams will be relegated from Super League at the end of 2014, regardless of which teams they will be. There could even be three teams relegated if the clubs decide they want Toulouse in the competition in 2015 with a TV deal possibly on the table from BeIn Sport.

There will then be two divisions of 12 each, which will play each other once (eleven games) in the first half of the season.

In the second half of the season, those clubs will split into three divisions of eight teams, depending on finishing places in the first half of the season. The bottom four Super League clubs will be in with the top four Championship clubs (which may include the two SL clubs relegated the previous season). Those teams will play each other at home and away (14 games) in the second half of the season.

The top four clubs in the second tier, at the end of that season, will then return to Super League for 2016.

So, basically the idea that Scottish football rejected recently, and that supporters were totally against. And the league system that Swiss football tried for a few seasons before dumping it as unpopular and damaging.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#100 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

Season ticket sales will be interesting under this structure, especially for those clubs who fall into the category of not knowing which league they'll be in for the second half of the season. If you were a Cas fan, for example, would you buy a SL-priced season ticket if there's a very good chance you'll be playing half of it in the 2nd tier ? Or will clubs have to sell half-season tickets and re-price accordingly for the 2nd half of the season ?

That was the objection that helped kill it in Scotland.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users