New League Structure Being Proposed

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,764 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

Rumours abound that a new league structure will shortly be proposed to begin in 2015. This would consist of a 12 team SL and 12 team Championship with P&R between the two - no word has yet emerged regarding the rest of the present clubs.

The idea is that the two bottom teams will be relegated from Super League at the end of 2014. They will join the "top" teams from the Championship, probably including a new French club.

There will then be two divisions of 12 each, which will play each other once (eleven games) in the first half of the season.

In the second half of the season, those clubs will split into three divisions of eight teams, depending on finishing places in the first half of the season. The bottom four Super League clubs will be in with the top four Championship clubs (which may include the two SL clubs relegated the previous season). Those teams will play each other at home and away (14 games) in the second half of the season.

The top four clubs in the second tier, at the end of that season, will then return to Super League for 2016.

Discuss!

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#2 Deputy Dog

Deputy Dog
  • Coach
  • 178 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

Rumours abound that a new league structure will shortly be proposed to begin in 2015. This would consist of a 12 team SL and 12 team Championship with P&R between the two - no word has yet emerged regarding the rest of the present clubs.

The idea is that the two bottom teams will be relegated from Super League at the end of 2014. They will join the "top" teams from the Championship, probably including a new French club.

There will then be two divisions of 12 each, which will play each other once (eleven games) in the first half of the season.

In the second half of the season, those clubs will split into three divisions of eight teams, depending on finishing places in the first half of the season. The bottom four Super League clubs will be in with the top four Championship clubs (which may include the two SL clubs relegated the previous season). Those teams will play each other at home and away (14 games) in the second half of the season.

The top four clubs in the second tier, at the end of that season, will then return to Super League for 2016.

Discuss!

Hilarious :)

#3 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

Good idea I think, but there again I'm from Dewsbury so will buy into any old rubbish :)

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like

expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#4 Ossy

Ossy
  • Coach
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

Exactly the kind of response I'd have expected from these two.

I've already made it clear that I think something is on the cards, so it wouldn't surprise me too much if they came up with something along these lines. They have to do something because the gap between the top and bottom sides of S. League is bad enough, but the division between S. League and Championship sides is a chasm that might never be bridged, not under the present system anyway. Something HAS to be done or the game is just going to fade away.

Things have been going that way ever since they did away with promotion and relegation, but I'm far from convinced that splitting the season into so many different competitions is the answer. It would take some time for even the top Championship sides to start posing a real threat, and I don't think the game has long enough for that.

I'd be interested to read a few other thoughts on BSJ's post.

#5 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,764 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

See: http://superleague.c...-process/27667#

No actual clarification but the rumours are sure to spook them into a more definitive statement sooner or later.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#6 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

Discuss!

You sure you've not been at the magic mushrooms BSJ ? Just where do these rumours abound ? I could see the better supported clubs breaking away, if only to get rid of the salary cap, but I can't see the hangers on agreeing to change the status quo. If it did go ahead, the usual championship suspects would almost certainly bankrupt themselves on the promise of SL - AGAIN.

#7 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

See: http://superleague.c...-process/27667#

No actual clarification but the rumours are sure to spook them into a more definitive statement sooner or later.

Ahh! I see - woodys had one of his visions. Sure the likes of cas, wakey and Salford will be all for it. :D

#8 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,764 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

Ahh! I see - woodys had one of his visions. Sure the likes of cas, wakey and Salford will be all for it. :D

Actually it hasn't come from him but from a "working party" (I don't know who the members were) in recognition that SL is struggling and needs a drastic change.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#9 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

I cannot see such a complicated scheme attracting fans

#10 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,764 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

I cannot see such a complicated scheme attracting fans

Unlike the current one then?

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#11 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

just to put a slightly more exciting slant on this , what if this new arrangement was super league 1 & 2 and the rest of the clubs formed the championship after the initial period of games ,and what if during the first "qualifying " part of the season the teams in sl1 played the teams in sl2 either home or away decided by draw with points accumulated to decide the formation of the leagues after the split when there may be two full sl leagues of 8 playing home and away and a championship also of 8 playing home and away . if the dispersal of monies was pro rata it would help level the game up and you could find the likes of batley in sl2 playing the first half of the season against most of the current super league either home or away . the top four in sl2 at the end of the season would go back up to form sl1 for the start of the next campaign with promotion and relegation between sl2 and the championship and championship2.

#12 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,764 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:50 AM

just to put a slightly more exciting slant on this , what if this new arrangement was super league 1 & 2 and the rest of the clubs formed the championship after the initial period of games ,and what if during the first "qualifying " part of the season the teams in sl1 played the teams in sl2 either home or away decided by draw with points accumulated to decide the formation of the leagues after the split when there may be two full sl leagues of 8 playing home and away and a championship also of 8 playing home and away . if the dispersal of monies was pro rata it would help level the game up and you could find the likes of batley in sl2 playing the first half of the season against most of the current super league either home or away . the top four in sl2 at the end of the season would go back up to form sl1 for the start of the next campaign with promotion and relegation between sl2 and the championship and championship2.

I think that a levelling of monies was a part of the consideration. All it needs, of course, is for the SL clubs to agree to it - I can't see why they wouldn't can you?

:rolleyes:

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#13 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

Unlike the current one then?

Can't afford to alienate the ones we already have, Johnny.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#14 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

Discuss!

This sounds so convoluted, so complicated for the armchair fan and so open to chance ( first half of season you play a team either home or away, but not both) that it must be true. Add to this the fact that we can't go two seasons without changing the league structure then it's confirmed. God help us, we are the laughing stock. Try running this past the FA and the top soccer teams and see what response you get......rugby league is kept alive by the passion of current fans for "their" teams. Changing the structure very two years, excluding promotion / relegation and having competitions the average sports fan doesn't understand ensures that we will always lag behind soccer and union and makes it really difficult to improve the fan base across the sport.

#15 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

Discuss!

I would be surprised if this change goes ahead but would not be surprised if the Super League is reduced to 12 teams in 2015 with promotion and relegation reintroduced. This change would allow for the expansion of the World Club Championship which would appeal to Sky TV who will have a big say in how the league is structured.

It would be unfair to move the goalposts at this stage of the Franchise licensing process.  

Edited by bulldogtrev, 04 May 2013 - 11:34 AM.

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#16 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:17 PM

I'm a few days late I understand, but I have a suggestion, replace Castleford, Salford, London and Widnes (as they're the current bottom 4 and have been inconsistent over past seasons) with Halifax, Featherstone, Sheffield and Leigh (as they're the current top 4 in our league and have been consistent over past seasons) and make the super league more competitive and then just put P&R in, but only if it was as easy as that eh?
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#17 The Crab

The Crab
  • Coach
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:37 PM

Brilliant in its simplicity.Your plan will get you free drinks anywhere in the latter 4 places and a fat lip in Castleford,Salford & Widnes.Of course no one in London will care much either way.

#18 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

Although the gulf in class between the have's and have nots in Super League isnt currently reflected in the league table (how the heck Widnes have 11pts is beyond me) , the Championship is certainly a lot more clear cut.

Sitting 6th in the league, we are 12pts adrift of 5th position and yet only 4pts clear of the bottom spot in the league.

The problem is, if Super League get their way and split into 2 divisions, the teams that will be incorporated into SL2 will surely drain the last drops of income from the Championship, Batley being the obvious winners in this scenario, Kev Nicholls master plan is finally coming to fruition muahahahaha.

Red Amber Black - Its that simple

#19 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,764 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

Although the gulf in class between the have's and have nots in Super League isnt currently reflected in the league table (how the heck Widnes have 11pts is beyond me) , the Championship is certainly a lot more clear cut.

Sitting 6th in the league, we are 12pts adrift of 5th position and yet only 4pts clear of the bottom spot in the league.

The problem is, if Super League get their way and split into 2 divisions, the teams that will be incorporated into SL2 will surely drain the last drops of income from the Championship, Batley being the obvious winners in this scenario, Kev Nicholls master plan is finally coming to fruition muahahahaha.

Maybe. Whatever changes are introduced, and there are a number of scenarios besides the one causing the most fuss, will come into operation in 2015. Individual teams can boom or bust by then, sadly more likely the latter than the former.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#20 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

The pragmatic in me cant help thinking that its worked in football.

But the supporter in me can't see any club, or their fans, ever agreeing to leave the super league top flight/league (call it what you will) voluntarily.

Living life and loving every second

http://www.summerhol.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users