TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

New League Structure

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 richie keay

richie keay

Tipping Comp Winner

• Coach
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

In today's Daily Mail there is an article about restructuring the leagues again at the end of next season. Under the proposal the 14 current super league would be reduced to 12, the season would start with 2 leagues of 12 before spitting into 3 leagues of eight teams. Each team would play each other once in the 1st 11 rounds, the top 8 teams would splinter away into their own competition. The bottom 4 teams would finish the season playing in an 8 team competition involving the top 4 teams in the championship. The bottom 8 teams of the championship would contest the 3rd tier.
Lets just hope this ridiculous system doesn't take place because obviously the current championship would be reduced to 10 teams, meaning that the bottom 4 teams would be relegated at the end of the 2014 season.
Posted Image

#2 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

It could mean it's reduced to 9 if Tolouse come in with a t.v deal.

This may not be a bad thing for us though if we made the bottom 12. It will provide a clear pathway to the top rather being stranded in thr Championship.

Although to be honest I don't mind watching Barrow in the Championship it's quite entertaining, but at least we would have a chance of progressing up the pyramid.

#3 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

So I would imagine P and R is coming back or is the top 24 teams in the country on a 3 year deal like SL are now.

What if we did get promoted to SL1. Is there a criteria still?

The total thing is a farce. Why can't we have a system whats easy like any other bloody sport. A straight 2 up 2 down or 3 up 3 down between all the leagues instead of all these stupid comps

FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#4 bwa

bwa
  • Coach
  • 245 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

Its just non stop Ballcocks.

RL has been going over 100 yrs and they still cant sort it out.

Imagine if they did this with football every season!

Its all clutching at straws!!!

#5 Plan of Attack

Plan of Attack
  • Coach
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

It could mean it's reduced to 9 if Tolouse come in with a t.v deal.

This may not be a bad thing for us though if we made the bottom 12. It will provide a clear pathway to the top rather being stranded in thr Championship.

Although to be honest I don't mind watching Barrow in the Championship it's quite entertaining, but at least we would have a chance of progressing up the pyramid.

This entire idea Stinks!.Whats the point of trying to raise £100,000 for the floodlights when we could be relegated for finishing in the bottom 5 to make room for a french team who were not even good enough for the championship

#6 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

Just when we got a good full competitive league !!! Yeh lets change that after we've got it right ... Good old RFL.

#7 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:42 AM

The RFL curently  pay out large disbursements to both the championship 1 and Championship clubs each year. I would have thought that the loss of these hand outs would seriously effect the majority of clubs that are financially struggling ad relying on this income.

Views please ?

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#8 atp

atp
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

One of the most important jobs in any club is promotion/fundraising IMO? In 2009 posters were all over the town centre promoting forthcoming games, business just outside the town centre had posters, they were also seen in Dalton, Ulverston, and accationally in Grange-over-Sands.
I am not aware of any posters in the Millom area but the point being RL do give clubs a monthly payment but it is not designed to cover the clubs finance in total. If it wasn't for the weekly lottery the club would have folded long ago.
Since the 1990s every Board of Directors in there turn have given scant respect for this position, when the club are struggling on the field resulting in gate receipts dropping it becomes even more important.
This season when I have been to games it is very noticeable that advertising boards are disappearing, 95% of the hospitality boxes have been empty, no mention of any match day sponsors, ball sponsors, ect.
You get my point, the question I Ask is there anyone been allocated the job of promotion/fundraising in the club? If so what are they doing?
It's easy to moan about RL distributions ( even though they are pittyfull to Championship clubs) when the club are not working on bringing in finance itself.

#9 Deep

Deep
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

ATP, you know who is responsible for selling the advertising boards and the hospitality boxes within the ground and he works dam hard promoting the club, the reason there are so many blank spaces around the ground is because the people who have stopped sponsoring the club in these hard times have had their boards removed, you cannot make people give if they cannot afford it, it is just not the rugby that is suffering it is all sports.

Events are being planned as you know, one being the gala on the last Saturday of June, the Grand Raffle etc.

If you and others feel they can make a contribution to the club coffers why not contact the club and sponsor the match day ball, book a box, organise your own event or even join the development fund, just some of the things that each and everyone of us can do to help the club without leaving it to a small group of people and volunteers.

#10 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

ATP, you know who is responsible for selling the advertising boards and the hospitality boxes within the ground and he works dam hard promoting the club, the reason there are so many blank spaces around the ground is because the people who have stopped sponsoring the club in these hard times have had their boards removed, you cannot make people give if they cannot afford it, it is just not the rugby that is suffering it is all sports.

Events are being planned as you know, one being the gala on the last Saturday of June, the Grand Raffle etc.

If you and others feel they can make a contribution to the club coffers why not contact the club and sponsor the match day ball, book a box, organise your own event or even join the development fund, just some of the things that each and everyone of us can do to help the club without leaving it to a small group of people and volunteers.

Wish there was a like button.

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#11 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

If this re-structuring system goes ahead, and Championship clubs meet this Wednesday to discuss it, then some clubs will be signing their own death-wish.

At the end of 2014 season 2 teams will drop down from SL and 4 teams will drop down from the Championship in to Championship1.

After half a season where an unequal number of games will be played i.e. each club plays the other club in their 12 team group just once which means someone might get an extra away game whilst others get an extra home game unless they have one game on a neutral venue!!!     Even then your team could be playing the groups favourites away whilst someone else  only plays them at home!!!!

Then at the halfway point the top 8 carry on in their own little world and play each other home and away.   The bottom four from SL join the top four from the Championship and they then play each other home and away and likewsie for the other 8 teams.    The top four teams from the middle group go up to join the top 8 in the following season.

That might look like a pathway to get in to SL until you understand that the top 12 teams will have a salary cap of £1.25 million whilst every other club has a salary cap of £180,000.    The top 12 teams are allowed 5 foreign players per season whilst the others are allowed just 1.   The top 12 teams will be all full-time professional players whilst the others will be in the main part-time players.

Now which four teams would you expect to be promoted from the 8 team middle group?

It is yet another farce to look after SL clubs  and any Championship club voting in favour of this system needs to be explaining WHY to their fans.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#12 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

Good post Keith but the whole thing is all a bit (sorry a lot) beyond me. I think I'll start following Barrow Bluebirds. LOL

The way things are going we'll have no pro rugby or football in Barrow. I know. I could emigrate to Hull and have choice of 2 SL Clubs & 1 Premiership Club.

Posted Image

#13 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

At worst however Barrow would be playing in a Championship One league consisting of 16 sides therefore a better prospect than the current league of death !

Edited by Baaarrow, 06 May 2013 - 08:48 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

I suppose the 16 would probably be:

Gloucestershire All Golds

London Skolars

Gateshead Thunder

Rochdale Hornets

Oldham

South Wales Scorpions

Oxford

Hemel Stags

North Wales Crusaders

Keighley Cougars

Doncaster

York City Knights

Dewsbury Rams

Hunslet Hawks

Swinton Lions

Barrow Raiders

If all of them are still in business that is. This list is purely based on current form

Gets you excited doesn't it. LOL

Posted Image

#15 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

I suppose the 16 would probably be:

Gloucestershire All Golds

London Skolars

Gateshead Thunder

Rochdale Hornets

Oldham

South Wales Scorpions

Oxford

Hemel Stags

North Wales Crusaders

Keighley Cougars

Doncaster

York City Knights

Dewsbury Rams

Hunslet Hawks

Swinton Lions

Barrow Raiders

If all of them are still in business that is. This list is purely based on current form

Gets you excited doesn't it. LOL

If Toulouse come back they will go right in to SL1 and 3 SL clubs will drop down to Championship and 5 clubs from Championship to Championship 1 for the 2015 season.     If Toulouse come back it is hoped that they will get the BeIn TV company to put money in to SL for a place in SL1.

This would mean the 10 current Championship 1 clubs plus 5 going down and I believe Coventry are expected to join by then to make the 16.

Giving a 12 team SL1; a 12 team SL2 and a 16 team Championship (1).

Edited by Keith T, 06 May 2013 - 08:16 PM.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#16 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

Gets more and more complicated, Keith. Forgot about Coventry (sorry bearman).

What about TV rights.  What is Beln TV company. How would all his affect Sky? Would SL 1 & SL 2 be televised.  Where would Premier Sports fit in. Woul P & R be back between the 3 divisions. 

Too many questions.

Posted Image

#17 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

BeIn TV is a Qatar based TV company that broadcast in France and they have shown an interest in RL.   The thinking is that if they get 2 clubs in SL then BeIn TV will come up with an offer to show SL matches as well as Sky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users