Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Kallum Watkins

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

Yeaman would av done well in NRL 4 year ago

I've always been a fan of Yeaman.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#22 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

Tell me when Lyon ever got the better of Yeaman?

I love the NRL but I think your giving it too
much respect. I'd take Watkins over all those centres except Jennings Lyon and Morris. I even think I'm being generous there. He's not far off and might be better than Jennings already. He might not be a better player than Lyons but given both their ages he would definatly be a better investment. That only leaves Morris who he couldn't shift who along with Hurral is going to be in the top few centres over the next ten years.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#23 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,992 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

Always been suspicious about Watkin's defence, so for a Leeds' fan to confirm it, then he's got a bit to learn before he's a regular international.

Or that's how it should be.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#24 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 426 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

Always been suspicious about Watkin's defence, so for a Leeds' fan to confirm it, then he's got a bit to learn before he's a regular international.

Or that's how it should be.

Well if we had any centres with the same offensive ability as Watkins and superior defensive skills then you'd be right. However...

#25 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

I blame sleep deprevation and the time of my post for messing up the left and right :lol:

Still, it showed the strength in depth of centres compared to ours.

As for Watkins defence, it isn't bad! Lets get that straight. In the line he is a good defender now. If he gets isolated though he can have a problem. He should be in the England team though at the end of the year because he does have the ability to turn anyone inside out and we need that. The likelihood is that he will be up against Inglis and that's a matchup I would love to see. He has come out on top against every player he has faced so far but that would be his biggest test.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#26 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,992 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

Well if we had any centres with the same offensive ability as Watkins and superior defensive skills then you'd be right. However...

Hence the "that's how it should be" in my post.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#27 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

Former England international Kirk Yeaman wouldn't have done well in the NRL?

Too many defensive lapses like he shows in the SL would have him playing reserve grade more than first grade. Since when has being an England international guaranteed you a gig in the NRL? Even less so five years ago. I don't recall a queue of Aussie clubs when Yeaman played in GB's last win in Sydney.

Edited by deluded pom?, 06 May 2013 - 10:26 AM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#28 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,766 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

Harrigan, I respect your opinion on the NRL, but you've got a lot of those left and right centres mixed up. I assume you've gone by the numbers on players' backs rather than which side of the field they actually play on, but I can't be bothered checking that. It should've stood out to you though that Lafai plays on the right and J Moz on the left.

As for comparing Watkins to other young centres, Blake Ferguson is 23 but I wouldn't trade him for Kallum. Over the last 12 months, I rate Fergo in the top 5 centres in the comp though.

Watkins is a better athlete than our left centre, Jarrod Croker (also 22, already 100 games under his belt), but it'd still be hard for me to to say he'd have to make way, especially since his goal kicking had been so important in our team.

Then there's 20 year old Jack Wighton, who hasn't be given a consistent position in the team yet, but has already made his rep debut for NSW Country and just played the best game of his short career against the Storm at left centre for the injured Croker. Many opposition fans and neutral commentators are keeping an eye on him for higher rep honours, including the eye of NSW Origin coach, Laurie Daley. I already rate him as one of the best defensive centres in the game.

We've also got Edrick Lee, another 20 year old, playing on the wing for us, but dominated the under 20s at centre. He's a massive talent who has fast become NRL quality after looking raw and a bit too skinny last year.

This is the Raiders, a mid table team.

Raiders' problem isn't in developing talent, it is in holding on to it.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#29 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

Who have we lost that we wanted to keep in the last few years? I can only think of Joel Thompson.

Our retention has been excellent under Furner.

My post was really only to demonstrate how a mid table NRL team still has genuine talent queuing up all over the back line.

#30 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 671 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

Who have we lost that we wanted to keep in the last few years? I can only think of Joel Thompson.

Our retention has been excellent under Furner.

My post was really only to demonstrate how a mid table NRL team still has genuine talent queuing up all over the back line.

Surely Eastmond was a bigger loss than Tomkins!

#31 brooza

brooza
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

Surely Eastmond was a bigger loss than Tomkins!

Joel Thompson. Canberra player that's just signed for St George

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board