TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Rl draft

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 iangidds

iangidds
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:18 AM

With the recent hype surrounding the Nfl draft and a few English people been selected even people who had never played the game before, it got me thinking could we not do a similar thing in Rl ?
Advertise to athletes , colleges , university's etc for athletes to come for trials with a view to offering professional contracts to players that maybe subsidised by the RFL or a sponsor?
It could be good PR as well as opportunity to raise the profile of the sport within other areas of the sporting community?

Edited by iangidds, 05 May 2013 - 07:21 AM.

#2 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 329 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

I think that it's a good idea. Many olympic sports have used open trials and followed up with development programmes for the talented athletes whom they have identified.

#3 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

Employment laws, particularly those relating to restraint of trade, would stop it. As is pointed out whenever this idea sticks its head over the parapet on here.

#4 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

It would require joined up thinking and removal of selfishness by the clubs, so it would be difficult for the RFL (who must feel like they are banging their heads against a brick wall) to implement.

#5 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

Some things have been tried, London did the 'Prop Idol' competion a couple of years back which I think brought a few players to the club. Even in the M62 areas there will be many hundreds of thousands of people who have never thought about playing the game so maybe there is scope for it to be done.

Maybe one for the amateurs more than the pros?

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#6 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,177 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

I've mentioned this before but if your going to do a SL draft I'd do it with imports. All clubs leave £300,000 TV money with the RFL the RFL then go out and sign 14 imports earning £75,000 14 on £100,000 and 14 on £125,000. Then depending on where you finished the previous year lowest team gets first pick. All players would know when they sign the contract they could go to any team so can't complain. All clubswould know that if your import had a good year a lower team would likely takethem off them the following year.

#7 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

Given that an NFL player becomes an instant millionaire if they get a contract they quite simply don't care which side they play for or where they live.  We have trouble with lads travelling to and from Hull, or across the pennines because the money isn't always enough for them to want to move themselves or their families.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 07 May 2013 - 10:49 AM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#8 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

With the recent hype surrounding the Nfl draft and a few English people been selected even people who had never played the game before, it got me thinking could we not do a similar thing in Rl ?

Which players in the draft had never played before?

It would require joined up thinking and removal of selfishness by the clubs, so it would be difficult for the RFL (who must feel like they are banging their heads against a brick wall) to implement.

It'd also mean making a feeder competition completely separate from the SL clubs - no youth development by the clubs, but rather in an independent system. Like the NCAA.

Given that an NFL player becomes an instant millionaire if they get a contract they quite simply don't care which side they play for or where they live.  We have trouble with lads travelling to and from Hull, or across the pennines because the money isn't always enough for them to want to move themselves or their families.

This, too.

#9 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,871 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

Which players in the draft had never played before?

Lawrence Okoye started off in RU, then competed in the Olympics at Discus. I'm pretty sure I read that he's never played American Football before.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#10 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

You're right as well. Wow. Goes to show that them guys down in the trenches don't need too much skill!

EDIT: that sounds harsh, but I can't imagine anyone stepping straight in at QB...

Edited by zorquif, 07 May 2013 - 12:15 PM.

#11 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,871 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:16 PM

You're right as well. Wow. Goes to show that them guys down in the trenches don't need too much skill!

EDIT: that sounds harsh, but I can't imagine anyone stepping straight in at QB...

He's a big and very strong guy, but he'll need a fair bit more than just that before he makes his first team debut.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#12 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

Yeah, I suppose so. How long do you reckon he'd need - and how much are the 49ers willing to spend on development? Would such a gamble (i.e. he's a big sod, let's make him into a player) ever be made by a RL team? I mean, the 49ers have taken on a guy, paying him a wage, who might be total guff! Although I suppose he excelled in the combines?

Edited by zorquif, 07 May 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#13 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

Given that an NFL player becomes an instant millionaire if they get a contract they quite simply don't care which side they play for or where they live.

Just to be clear, the NFL draft is actually a lot more complicated than people tend to realise. When a team drafts a player all they get is exclusive negotiating rights. A player can refuse to play for a team and sit out a season to re-enter the following years's draft. Obviously that is not in the best interests of a player or a team which would have wasted its pick, so instead the player can be traded to another team. Although most NFL players will have already spent 4 years away from home at university so they will have already got past the idea of playing for a local team. They have an attitude more like a rugby player offered a big money NRL contract, it does not matter which team it is you go wherever they want and make a lot of money doing something you love.

Also, other than the top round picks, players and not guaranteed to become millionaires in the NFL. Within the salary cap there is a rookie pool which specifies a minimum and maximum amount that can be paid on rookie contracts. This will often mean players from outside the first and maybe second round will not earn a million dollars for their first season.

And NFL contracts are not guaranteed. If a player signs for $50m over 4 years, it will usually be backloaded, so each successive season earns more, but they can be dropped at any point so if they have a bad season they could end up only earning $5m of that. This is why there are also upfront signing bonuses to offset the lack of security. While drafted players usually receive signing bonuses too, these are included within the rookie pool so are limited. They only make the big money if they become a success, which is not guaranteed as the step between college and professional American football is a big one.

#14 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

Lawrence Okoye was not signed through the draft but as a free agent.

The only way a draft system could work is that the highest level before super league was virtually at SL standard. SL doesn't think it is, and therefore players are signed as youngsters so SL has a big say in their development.

American college football produces players who are virtually ready to step out onto an NFL pitch.
Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#15 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,871 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

Well, NFL clubs probably know what they're doing, and will have checked him out for potential. It'll be interesting to see what happens to him.

#16 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,871 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

That's him on the left. The other monster is Carl Myerscough (shot put).

#17 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

The draft system is set up to almost guarantee that any decently run team should get 'its day in the sun'. The weakest team get first choice which is often traded for two or more 'lower level' picks which will strengthen the team more than one great player.

The whole thing work so that there is a level palying field which is why so many teams have won the superbowl. The game pulls together for the benefit of all teams and this means that, on the whole, one or two clubs will not dominate.

IIRC at one time, and maybe still now, all NFL licensed gear that is sold has its profits evenly distributed amongst all of the clubs so if Wigan sold 10,000 shirts and London sold 20, both would receive the same amount of money from SL merchandise.
Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#18 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

Whilst this is true, the 253rd pick in 2012 wound up with about 450k if he got sacked after year one, before and sponsorship. Not bad for a year, is it? If he clings on for another year, he'll have earned a million dollars for likely not playing a game.

Also, other than the top round picks, players and not guaranteed to become millionaires in the NFL. Within the salary cap there is a rookie pool which specifies a minimum and maximum amount that can be paid on rookie contracts. This will often mean players from outside the first and maybe second round will not earn a million dollars for their first season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users