Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Batley v Fev latest score

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 536 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

Robins' posts always appear to be pretty reasonable.

I thought that Rovers played the better football and that the score was just about right; but that there were enough ifs and buts to console the Batley fans.  Two bad decisions maybe cost us the match.  The otherwise excellent Walton looking inside when Potts had a clear run to the line on the outside (understandable given that the usual fullback, Greenwood, normally hunts nearer the middle of the park), and the refs decision not to allow advantage to Batley when Black raced away with the ball.  Perhaps someone with a clearer view of the incident can explain the refs' action?

#22 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

Good game by two excellent sides.....overshadowed for Fev fans by things out of our control; Batley have a great defensive structure and I wish them luck in whatever they do; Great club and friendly people;

#23 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

I thought that Rovers played the better football and that the score was just about right; but that there were enough ifs and buts to console the Batley fans.  Two bad decisions maybe cost us the match.  The otherwise excellent Walton looking inside when Potts had a clear run to the line on the outside (understandable given that the usual fullback, Greenwood, normally hunts nearer the middle of the park), and the refs decision not to allow advantage to Batley when Black raced away with the ball.  Perhaps someone with a clearer view of the incident can explain the refs' action?

I think the ref had already blown his whistle which hindered Batleys advantage;

#24 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 536 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

And a generous post, thank you

Good game by two excellent sides.....overshadowed for Fev fans by things out of our control; Batley have a great defensive structure and I wish them luck in whatever they do; Great club and friendly people;

#25 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

I think the ref had already blown his whistle which hindered Batleys advantage;

Yeah I think your right, I did feel at the end we could've got more from the game but fair play to Fev they took their chance's when they came and we missed a couple.

Hope Fev win the league if we could finish 3rd/4th i'd be happy.

Next week Greenwood, Applegarth and Davies should be fit so hopefully Swinton will see what we are capable of. Up the dogs.

Edited by Bat Lad, 05 May 2013 - 06:31 PM.

#26 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:43 PM

Hmmm. I didn't make this game out to be a classic or a particularly good advert for the Championship.

We looked poor in attack, often took the wrong option and were kippered by some disappointing decisions from the officials. We also should have taken the two opportunities to knock over 2 points in the second half which would, in hindsight, have rescued a draw. Featherstone (I hope) were well below-par, looked like they had their mind on other things and were eminently beatable today.

Oh well, interesting how we all see a different game I guess!!

#27 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,955 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

Edited by Robin Evans, 05 May 2013 - 06:49 PM.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#28 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,955 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

yeah what right have little old batley got to lose by only four points to the mighty fev... ??

Every right. You can lose by 4 points every time for me matey. I dont understand your angst.

#29 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

Every right. You can lose by 4 points every time for me matey! I dont understand your angst?

Don't you? We lost, isn't that cause enough for angst? Look at your own board everytime you lose, or any clubs forum for that matter. Angst aplenty when they lose. Not much logic to it but it's cathartic nonetheless.

#30 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,955 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

I thought that Rovers played the better football and that the score was just about right; but that there were enough ifs and buts to console the Batley fans. Two bad decisions maybe cost us the match. The otherwise excellent Walton looking inside when Potts had a clear run to the line on the outside (understandable given that the usual fullback, Greenwood, normally hunts nearer the middle of the park), and the refs decision not to allow advantage to Batley when Black raced away with the ball. Perhaps someone with a clearer view of the incident can explain the refs' action?

most of us in our group were sstonished that he pulled ben black back.. he was very quick with the whistle and denied batley any possible advantage

#31 NEW DOG

NEW DOG
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:26 PM

Also on the point of the ref I found I particularly in appropriate that the red reacted to the Batley fans and stated that "he wasn't giving things our way today". Very unprofessional. If the banter from the stands is toouch for him then don't suit up for the game. Very poor!!! Especially as he didn't give us a few decisions after that comment!! Probably just co incidence but it makes ya wonder.

#32 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 416 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

Batley's display was a big improvement on last week. Featherstone where the better side and deserved the win.

I agree with previous comments about our attacking play which needs to improve if Batley are to challenge Halifax, Featherstone, Sheffield and Leigh.

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#33 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:09 PM

Sounds more than 50/50 to me..Fev had all the luck by the sound of that....seriously though Batley like Fev have a very good side;

#34 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,955 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

It came across as we only got near you because you played poorly....which is a little disrespectful to the batley players......even Darryl Powell showed his relief in his interview at the end.
without blaming the referee who gave every 50/50 call to fev, batley could have won that game when you look at the Walton decision, the black incident, potts just bundled out in goal, Flanagan held up over the line and that blatant forward pass that Sharp flung that ended in a try....

It's been a sheeyte week on planet Fev and it showed. And as I said in my initial post which you interpreted - wrongly as it happens, coming away from the mount with a win of any kind is a relief.... reagardless of how we play.
I'll not agree we got every 50/50-.... we didn't! But we got a couple of crucial ones which in a tight game is the diff twixt losing/winning.
At Sheffield they went against us. Today we copped a couple going our way which may well have affected the result.

Edited by Robin Evans, 05 May 2013 - 08:13 PM.

#35 mountieman21

mountieman21
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:11 PM

Also on the point of the ref I found I particularly in appropriate that the red reacted to the Batley fans and stated that "he wasn't giving things our way today". Very unprofessional. If the banter from the stands is toouch for him then don't suit up for the game. Very poor!!! Especially as he didn't give us a few decisions after that comment!! Probably just co incidence but it makes ya wonder.

He actually said to the crowd

that he wasnt playing the advantage rule(jokingly)but his decisions probably cost us the match!!

#36 BirstallDog

BirstallDog
  • Coach
  • 753 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

Two very evenly matched teams today...who gave everything for their "cause".

A first class game for the Championship....

#37 NEW DOG

NEW DOG
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

He actually said to the crowd

that he wasnt playing the advantage rule(jokingly)but his decisions probably cost us the match!!

Agreed. However it is still in professional too come out with such a comment. They should be beyond that. Still like to know the difference between blacks break away and finn's. we will never know though

#38 Sir Jekyll Stocking

Sir Jekyll Stocking
  • Coach
  • 887 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

Agreed. However it is still in professional too come out with such a comment. They should be beyond that. Still like to know the difference between blacks break away and finn's. we will never know though

The only difference is that the ref blew his whistle too early in Black's case. A bad decision that cost us dearly.

But no point in dwelling on it. Mistakes happen, and we can't rectify them now. Let's move on. Swinton/Warrington next job.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users