Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

town beat the hawks

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

tale of 2 halfs again. 1st was error ridden and let in 3 very soft tries. 2nd was fantastic, karl ostrum is fast becoming a star, and his try was well deserved. i thought thacks and big coward had excellant 2nd stints and lupton controlled and probed throughout. big mention to walne who fit in nicely and runs hard and strong. if theres one set of fans that deserve to go home empty handed then its definately the hunslet ones. getting out of hand and singleing one town fan out for abuse wasnt on.

Edited by wonky, 05 May 2013 - 04:40 PM.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#2 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

Same old same old , it's all there isn't it when we play off a disciplined solid base . We saw an excellent 40 , but those old issues again hurt us . Playing numb, silly errors and brain explosions . If we can turn 40 into 60 or 70 consistently we are are a match for anyone , and I mean anyone , in this league , but we must keep trying to iron out our game because if we do we are a real force . We do keep giving teams chances in games they shouldn't have , and making things doubly hard . That 2nd 40 was very good , lets aim for that for a full game . Minimise the errors and play fast and disciplined off our forward drive and not many teams will live with us . We gave them 18 and again started late , why is this so often the case ??!! Positives were our attitude , fitness and commitment . As they wilted we grew . Defence was better second half and we really drove them back with and without the ball . Olstrum great , Thacks best of the year for him , Walne looks a star and Lupton very lively . Special mention for JP - great show . Very impressive half , very good win . We are such a good team in the making with great potential if we start to play the full game !! We're winning when still not at full pelt , we will really hammer someone when we click from minute one .

Edited by DavidM, 05 May 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#3 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

I agree we gave them 3 very silly tries but I was always confident that we would turn it round in the second half with the wind at our backs.   We had two tries disallowed in the first half as well and I would like to see the first one again to see where the obstruction was.   The second was given as a knock-on by Stack.   I thought Hunslet looked sharp but they didn't look comfortable under the high balls.    The busiest person on the pitch was their coach in a yellow shirt as he was never off the field running behind them giving instructions.    He even went and had a word or two with Turley just after Walne had scored under the sticks.   

Next week is a fun game where the lads can just enjoy the game so maybe we'll see them cut loose a bit more.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#4 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

we never played for 80 and still won,not bad for widnes reserves

COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#5 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

Be salford reserves now

#6 PLD

PLD
  • Coach
  • 516 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:53 PM

When we went in front I don't think the result was in doubt, we again (like Dewsbury last week) finished the stronger side in the second half. To nil a Championship side in a half is a great achievement.

Walne looked solid and didn't make a mistake, props (well 3 of the 4 of them) looked lively, Matty looked a another step quicker each game he plays, Lupton had a really good game, Olstrum well we are getting used too him playing like that every week.

Patrick had his best game of the season and would certainly push Calderwood when he is available again for the wingers spot.

And a special mentions to the Referee Appreciation Society (Hunslet Branch) who called out each decision for Mr Turley, you are truely a special breed of person and to Mr Paul March who undoubtely missed his true vocation in life and should have been an actor on Eastenders or Emmerdale after screaming at the top of his voice pretending he had been hit in the mouth, I do hope his bottom lip is okay especially as he dragged it around Derwent Park for the entire second half :-)

Rugby League must be a great game to survive the fools at the RFL who run it.

#7 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

Thought it was a good game tbh. They were very sharp around the fringes, but that was tightened up in the second half and they struggled against the wind.
We played some good rugby today as did Hunslet in patches. I think they would be much better if they didn't try to play through March on nearly every play as it was obvious which way the ball was going. As for us Olstrum and Lupton both played well, as did all of our forwards which was where we won the game.
I spoke to a Hunslet fan after the game and said it was a good game and wished him a safe journey and got a tirade back about the ref and saying DP was a 5hithole. Nice bloke, and if he is like that every time they lose then he is gonna be in for a miserable season!
I didn't think the ref turned the game at all, they are all inconsistent and he turned a blind eye all game to Mr March doing the needless hands and forearm in tackled players faces. He kept a big 10m and let the players stand in front of him and never blew for off side once.
It was a great effort and again showed our fitness to deny them a BP.
Up the Town!!
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#8 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

hahahaha

COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#9 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

i dont think jp should start over calders, he should start inside him. big red needs moved to cover for 2nd row, i just dont think the lad is a centre.

#10 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

no jameaters on here tonight ,wheres billy bell end ,and poorer ,poorer?

COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#11 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

If we have walne for a month I really like that bench as it is . Got to play Calders , big Red was pretty good today , his size gives him an xfactor .JP's form was excellent , if you want him to me it's in front of Mossop . Just my opinion , JP gives more with the ball and still gives solid defence . But they won't change the centres so doesn't matter . Big Red deffo 2nd row cover long term no doubt - I spotted his cramp exercise again !!!

Edited by DavidM, 05 May 2013 - 05:10 PM.

#12 PLD

PLD
  • Coach
  • 516 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:12 PM

If we have walne for a month I really like that bench as it is . Got to play Calders , big Red was pretty good today , his size gives him an xfactor .JP's form was excellent , if you want him to me it's in front of Mossop . Just my opinion , JP gives more with the ball and still gives solid defence . But they won't change the centres so doesn't matter . Big Red deffo 2nd row cover long term no doubt - I spotted his cramp exercise again !!!

He has cramp as often as Ian Scott ended up in the blood bin (every game) :-)

Edited by PLD, 05 May 2013 - 05:14 PM.

Rugby League must be a great game to survive the fools at the RFL who run it.

#13 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 862 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

You can't change a winning formula stick to the same 17 in the league game, next 2 weeks we can give the other guys Forber n Robinson n Coyle n Calderdale a game and hopefully give any injured guys a break!!

#14 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

And we've got to stick with Connor and Lupton . Give them a good run together , Connor is gonna get better n better and that has the makings that combo

#15 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

no jameaters on here tonight ,wheres billy bell end ,and poorer ,poorer?

somebody on the popular side with haven tracksuit on today lol! Good win in the end. I liked their scrum half he was very good fortunatley he went quiet for the last half hour of the game

#16 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

somebody on the popular side with haven tracksuit on today lol! Good win in the end. I liked their scrum half he was very good fortunatley he went quiet for the last half hour of the game

I was stood beside him all the match.   He is often at DP as he lives in Seaton.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#17 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 862 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

And a big shout out to the hunslet fans who were shouting some verbal disgust at Jamie Thackerey which seemed to spurr him on more, olstrum was mom today but was pushed all the way by Peter Lupton who controlled greatly

#18 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

Was there that 100 there after all ?

#19 ChunkyOnion

ChunkyOnion
  • Coach
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:32 PM

Thought there were a few of their fans that were a disgrace. If that'd been us at the hovel down the road them lot would've been asking for life bans.
Surf dudes with attitudes, (Kinda groovy), Laid back moods. Sky above, sand below (Good vibrations), Feelin' mellow. Won't give it up, Don't wanna stop....Don't wake me up, Don't wake me up if I'm dreamin', California dreams, Just let me lay here in the sun, Until my dream is done

#20 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

And a big shout out to the hunslet fans who were shouting some verbal disgust at Jamie Thackerey which seemed to spurr him on more, olstrum was mom today but was pushed all the way by Peter Lupton who controlled greatly

yep we heard that as well, as i say theres not a better bunch of fans to send home empty handed.and even better news, we get to do it again in a fortnight.