Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

How much longer?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 hornetsexile

hornetsexile
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

I wonder how much longer can things go on at Hornets?

!) The link up with St Helens appears to have had few if any benefits.

2) Hornets are losing to teams we theoretically should be beating. Are they getting better or are we heading slowly to RL oblivion?

3) Has the fact we are a co-operative helped or hindered the progression of the club?

4) How do we move forwards?

#2 jananbillingsbarmyarmy

jananbillingsbarmyarmy
  • Coach
  • 268 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

leave spotland its costs a fortune to be there

#3 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:43 PM

Where would we go if we left Spotland?

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#4 allroughyed

allroughyed
  • Coach
  • 946 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:17 PM

We'll let you share at the Whitebank

Edited by allroughyed, 05 May 2013 - 08:17 PM.

GIVE US A TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 StarfireHypervixen

StarfireHypervixen
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

We'll let you share at the Whitebank

You may have hit on something there, perhaps not at Whitebank, but at somewhere convenient for both sets of fans. If both clubs pooled resources, you could develop a nice stadium, while keeping individual identities.
Living life in such a way, that when my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan says "Oh *@$^! She's awake!"

#6 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

I'd rather play on the roundabout at Slattocks than Whitebank. I seriously doubt that the two clubs could ever get that sort of thing off the ground as the Elton John 'looka-a-like' would always have to put the mockers on everything. Hamilton would not have to be in the equation for my part and I can't see him giving up his cash cow just yet!

I think we'll stay at Spotland eh?

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#7 Heywood Tiger

Heywood Tiger
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

I honestly think that with a bit of work Springfield Park running track could house hornets. The old hospital building is about 90% empty and could be used for functions etc..

#8 Snoopy Loopy

Snoopy Loopy
  • Coach
  • 475 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

The Co-Op thing has been nothing short of a joke IMO and I think it will take a miracle to get the club back on track

#9 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 983 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:31 PM

I'd rather play on the roundabout at Slattocks than Whitebank. I seriously doubt that the two clubs could ever get that sort of thing off the ground as the Elton John 'looka-a-like' would always have to put the mockers on everything. Hamilton would not have to be in the equation for my part and I can't see him giving up his cash cow just yet!

I think we'll stay at Spotland eh?

Pugwash.

Instead of Slattocks roundabout what about some where on Stakehill, plenty of unused space that could be cleared, good road conections and part way between the two towns. But then again would it be Hornets?
Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#10 allroughyed

allroughyed
  • Coach
  • 946 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:53 PM

Kingsway was mentioned a few years ago.

GIVE US A TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:02 PM

The Co-Op thing has been nothing short of a joke IMO and I think it will take a miracle to get the club back on track

Errr, WE were talking about where we'd play Gavin, try to keep up mate!

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#12 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 775 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:29 AM

always thought a nice little ground on kingsway would be a suitable place . one we and the community could use and a place we could call home .A place we can build links with the community . The JD stadium has a nice ring to it
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#13 Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster
  • Coach
  • 413 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

There is no money around for that to Happen, plus it would be like what you have now a Stadium that someone else owns so any monies you generate would go back into the Stadium Coffers not the Teams Personal Coffers !

"There are only 5 functions of Internet FORUMS. . . . . . . . . . Brag . . Patronise . . Wind-up . . Fawn . . Threaten. . . . . . . . . Which one did you perform? "

Andy 'Ghosty' Rogose is Ghostbuster

(Vice Chairman Rochdale Fijian Association) (Member Rochdale Mayfield A.R.L.F.C)

#14 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 775 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

depends on the terms of the lease you got if the club managed the stadium and came to an agreement for the bars they would be better of than they are now
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#15 ornit4ever

ornit4ever
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:48 PM

I wonder how much longer can things go on at Hornets?

!) The link up with St Helens appears to have had few if any benefits.

2) Hornets are losing to teams we theoretically should be beating. Are they getting better or are we heading slowly to RL oblivion?

3) Has the fact we are a co-operative helped or hindered the progression of the club?

4) How do we move forwards?

1. The link with Saints has no benefit to us at all at present because of Saints huge injury list.

2. Hornets have lost to teams that could easily go pear shaped financially.

3. The co-op would be  even more successful if all the supporters bought into it.

4. How do we move forwards by following item 3 and getting more bums on seats...................IMPOSSIBLE IN THIS TOWN :angry:

RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

#16 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

No serious business plan would have all the supporters buying into a membership

As to implying the town (and its people) are the problem I think we need to realise NO market research was done on hos attarctive Gloucestershire, Hamel, Oxford, North Wales, South Wales etc would be if admitted to the bottom tier.  I expect (pure speculation on my part) if i had people (including rugby league supporters) would have said no thanks.  But the RFL (and the folks who vote for these re-organisations and expansions) seemed to belive we just need to churn out a fixture list and tell folks they should support their local team.

None of these teams earned the right to join the Championship. 

#17 Number 7

Number 7
  • Coach
  • 142 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

None of these teams earned the right to join the Championship. 

YAWNNNN!!!! anita bath

Get over it! these clubs are in the championship, which looks good on the hornets part as without them the Champ 1 league would no longer exist as it would not be viable with just 3 clubs in it, because I doubt that you would say that London Skolars have 'the right to be in the league either.

If my memory is correct hornets have also been on the wrong end of the scoreboard when playing some of these teams this season, so your post is just looking like sour grapes to me at least and probably other readers of your post.

Regards 7

Edited by Number 7, 07 May 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#18 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:24 PM

It was not meant to be a comment about the individual clubs, but about the process used by the RFL.  Apologies to the fans of the individual clubs if taken that way.

New clubs entering the football league earn their place through playing through the non leagues.  In RL, you simply apply to the RFL and through an opaque process you get to be a league team, in some cases a team that can attract only a hundred or so paying spectators. 

Expansion, and the rate that it has taken place has been a disaster.  It would be nice to know what the business plans of the expansion teams said about player recruitment, attendences etc.

#19 StarfireHypervixen

StarfireHypervixen
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

In nature expansion takes place outward from a point. Think of a plant's seed head bursting open, the seeds are dispersed over a few meters. The next generation get a bit further and so on. If I were in charge of expanding the game, this is the model I would follow. Or as Anita would have it, expand through promoting the best performing amateur clubs.
Living life in such a way, that when my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan says "Oh *@$^! She's awake!"

#20 hornetsexile

hornetsexile
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

Thanks guys for observations and positive comments ( apart from a minor bit of misguided barb from Pugwash aimed at Snoopy Loopy ) I think the whole future of Rugby League needs looking at. RL is not just about superleague and ergo Sky but about a way of life for northern folk and convertees from other areas. Yes its  great that we are encouraging people to our game and long may that continue but we cannot sacrifice the established sides and those traditionally who feed the professional and semi-professional game. Hornets fans and the fans from other long suffering teams deserve better from the RFL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users