Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

NCL Cup.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 codecracker

codecracker
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

Why are clubs not entering this competition??

This Cup hasnt been a success so far IMO as teams are just allowed to not enter.....Is that acceptable??

I also know that several clubs didnt enter so that they can have free weekends for players to rest or recover from injuries or even Stag do's but surely they should be punished in some way as this can only add to the mockery that some people think that this competition already is!!!

Edited by codecracker, 05 May 2013 - 06:20 PM.

#2 jananbillingsbarmyarmy

jananbillingsbarmyarmy
  • Coach
  • 268 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:30 PM

why ? they don't have to enter its up to them

#3 codecracker

codecracker
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

Well thats fine also but that just supports that this Competition is a Joke!!

I was simply raising a point, I remember the good old days with the National Cup and its a shame that this competition cant be supported too.

#4 standooffhalf

standooffhalf
  • Players
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

why ? they don't have to enter its up to them

here here

#5 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

Once upon a time teams entered everything they could as a matter of course, particularly as it gave a team a chance of playing somebody different, and regarding the NCL & BARLA cups, surely a home draw gives you extra revenue, but these days there seems to be an attitude that "If we can't win it what is the point of entering".

#6 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

The National Cup trips used to be the highlights of the season, I was involved with a NWC team and we had no aspirations of progressing very far but were disappointed if we were drawn locally. We had some crackings days out in Cumbria and over the Pennines and were welcomed and looked after with some amazing after match nights. We of course returned the compliment if drawn at home.

Edited by once a ref always a ref, 05 May 2013 - 10:42 PM.

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#7 old papa

old papa
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

Think they are 3 reasons to why clubs do not enter 1 cost of travel, 2 like someone said if we don't think we can win it. 3 to concentrate on the league either to avoid relegation or gain promotion We have a few at our club that don't think we should enter but that will never happen while I am involved. I feel that it should be made compulsory that all clubs enter.

#8 dinosore

dinosore
  • Coach
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

Going back many moons, most leagues were regional and the national cup was the only chance to visit exotic locations such as Cumbria + Hull,conference league teams now travel every other week and it is normal to travel outside your region, travel can work out expensive, i recall about 15yrs back my own club St.Pats had a national cup run that started with an away game at Rochdale we won that and drew an Hull team away followed by 3 visits to Cumbria eventually losing in the quarter finals at Ellenborough who if my memory is correct went on to win the national cup that year.My personal view is that entry in a conference cup should be compulsory a national cup the clubs choice.

#9 Cutsyke Raiders

Cutsyke Raiders
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

IMO, All cup competitions should be by choice. As they currently all are.

None of the RL knockout cups (RL Challenge Cup, BARLA National Cup, District cups) are compulsory  and long may it remain.

For too long, the prime motivator for some of these "chamber" pot cups, has been a large pot of gold, for the blazers at the Final.

Meanwhile, at many games, at every round, one of the clubs gets the privilege of blasting £300 - £600 on bus travel.

If the NCL reduce the size of the divisions to 12, i could see all the teams, in that scenario, entering an NCL Challenge Cup .

N.B

This is my personal view and in no way reflects the view of anyone else in Yorkshire   :wacko:

#10 Barrybeagle

Barrybeagle
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

When you are in a league structure you compete and play your league matches that is compulsory we all know that. After that any further competition's such as cup's are a matter for the individual clubs to decide upon wether they want to or don't want to enter there maybe be a few reasons why they don't its not a dictatorship ! As Cutsyke says a starter might be looking at the number of league matches played, with summer rugby and availability issues it often suits to get the free week

#11 maxwel

maxwel
  • Coach
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:41 AM

Morning Cutsyke you mention a large pot of gold for the Blazers, like many other clubs I feel sure the Blazers work hard behind the scenes to ensure that everything is fit for matchday. The pot of gold is a bonus. Well that is how it works at L.M.R.

Its nice to be important, but never forget its important to be nice!!!

#12 barbara henderson

barbara henderson
  • Coach
  • 347 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

IMO, All cup competitions should be by choice. As they currently all are.

None of the RL knockout cups (RL Challenge Cup, BARLA National Cup, District cups) are compulsory  and long may it remain.

For too long, the prime motivator for some of these "chamber" pot cups, has been a large pot of gold, for the blazers at the Final.

Meanwhile, at many games, at every round, one of the clubs gets the privilege of blasting £300 - £600 on bus travel.

If the NCL reduce the size of the divisions to 12, i could see all the teams, in that scenario, entering an NCL Challenge Cup .

N.B

This is my personal view and in no way reflects the view of anyone else in Yorkshire   :wacko:

Our District Cup is compulsory, and as for the Blazers, well if you were one of the lucky ones you got a flashy T shirt, which you paid for! :unsure:

Still a fabulous day out though if you are lucky enough to reach the Final.

Edited by barbara henderson, 07 May 2013 - 07:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users