Perth Lions

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

In this months RL World Phil Clarke mentions an idea for an English/British team in the NRL based in Perth an area with à large ex pat community. Wonder what peoples ideas for this Might be? Being à fan of NRL i like the idea the positives outway the negetives

#2 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

I had a similar thought the other day. If most of the England squad are going to be out there, why not play as a squad? But then, who would pay for it? And would an English club appeal to the natives?

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#3 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,182 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

Absurd idea. How could a club market itself as a British club and expect to compete with Australian clubs?

#4 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

Absurd idea. How could a club market itself as a British club and expect to compete with Australian clubs?

same way NZ Warriors do.

#5 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

same way NZ Warriors do.

They play in NZ though

#6 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

True but this would be bases where there are masses of brits. Plus would bring Rugby League to an area which doesnt have à professional team

#7 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

Would be much better to have a Perth team which is Australian.

#8 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,182 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

True but this would be bases where there are masses of brits. Plus would bring Rugby League to an area which doesnt have à professional team

It would mean the RFL funding a poorly supported expansion club in Australia. Why would they do that if they won't subsidise the British equivalent?

#9 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:17 AM

In this months RL World Phil Clarke mentions an idea for an English/British team in the NRL based in Perth

That'll be Phil Caplan, not Phil Clarke.

#10 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:26 AM

There might be a lot of Brits in Perth, but how many would be interested in Rugby League? Isn't this a bit like the old argument that just because there's a big Aussie community in London they'd all be interested in watching the Broncos play.

Perth does need an NRL side, but it needs one that would engage the whole community.

#11 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:26 AM

Jeez are people taking the mick when they come up with these ideas.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#12 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,554 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

Jeez are people taking the mick when they come up with these ideas.

That's a bit harsh. The OP threw a suggestion into the forum. No-one was harmed in the making of this comment.

rldfsignature.jpg

#13 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

That's a bit harsh. The OP threw a suggestion into the forum. No-one was harmed in the making of this comment.

Wow! I had no idea people would take the idea so seriously! 

I remember this idea being discussed in Open Rugby many years ago when Great Britain were making no headway against the Kangaroos. The idea of a Club GB was that the international team would 'harden up' playing Winfield Cup teams every week, and the players would have had to raise their game considerably. No real thought was given to the practicalities - for example, if they performed well they would be a great draw, but where would they get a home crowd from?

Present day Perth does have its fair share of British people but don't forget that the vast majority are not from rugby league supporting areas. And the future generations would become Aussies fairly quickly. I went to visit my brother's family in Perth in 2006, just after they had settled there; I went back last year and the kids have gone from your standard south-east Lancashire accent to what seem to me to be fully Aussie accents in that short period of time. And they seem to have fully assimilated into Australian life and have little affiliation with the country they left (their family, yes, the culture, no). An English club in Perth would struggle in reality.

But floating fanciful ideas is one of the reasons we have forums like this. 

#14 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,182 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

But floating fanciful ideas is one of the reasons we have forums like this. 

Indeed but Phil Caplan should know better.

#15 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

However it is these "radical" ideas that eventually come to fruition and do nothing but make a mockery of our sport. A sport can only take so many of these ideas before it collapses.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#16 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

However it is these "radical" ideas that eventually come to fruition and do nothing but make a mockery of our sport. A sport can only take so many of these ideas before it collapses.

:lol: Yes, but this particular idea has been on the go for decades so I think we're safe. It is just one of those stories to publish every now and then when they haven't got anything else to say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users