Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Ref today

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

Sunday was the first time we had played downhill in second half against you for first time since 2009

#22 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,617 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:16 AM

Why not just level the field and give the impression of a playing surface suited to the modern game?

Surely grounds with inclines such as yours should now be a thing of the past?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#23 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 562 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:23 AM

you cheeky devil BSJ!  :D   :D

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

#24 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

Why not just level the field and give the impression of a playing surface suited to the modern game?

Despite BSJ clearly throwing a hook out and hoping for a catch, I sort of agree with him to a certain extent. While I think the Mount is a great stadium, I think the slope thing has become a bit of a cliche. If we ever, and I know it's a bit of a long shot, were to get the chance to play at a higher level, the slope will definitely hold us back.

Just out of interest, how feasible would it be to reduce the slope? To a none practical person like me, it seems impossible as the stands and terracing are also built on a slope. If they could somehow level the pitch, or reduce the slope, those at the top end would have a scary drop onto the pitch and those on the terracing at the bottom end would be unable to see anything as they would be below the level of the pitch.

#25 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,301 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

I like the slope and we should petition the RFL to make all grounds have a 1:7 slope!

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#26 henry oulton

henry oulton
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

really bsj?? I thought there must have been more slopes about..... Havent Dewsbury been playing uphill in the majority of there second halves this season ???

#27 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

Instead of worrying about a slight incline, which has been acceptable for many decades, I would prefer the RFL to ensure all grounds are the maximum dimensions. I know you may find this difficult to believe but some grounds built in the last twenty years, and after the dimensions were brought up to metres, Are woefully undersize and this spoils the enjoyment far more than a gentle slope. Goodness knows what some individuals would think if they strolled in the Lake District

It's not a slight incline, and though I take your point about dimensions, I do think that our slope is generally seen as a negative and not  positive.

As for your point about the Lake District, I have enjoyed walking up Scafell Pike, but certainly wouldn't enjoy playing a second half up it trailing by 12 points!!

#28 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,617 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

I suppose if you want to remain as quaint little old batley then a slope such as yours will be fine.

B) B)

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#29 RPH

RPH
  • Coach
  • 686 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

keeping sniffing the Methane BSJ....

#30 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 562 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:31 PM

or the contents of his colostomy bag.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

#31 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

Despite BSJ clearly throwing a hook out and hoping for a catch, I sort of agree with him to a certain extent. While I think the Mount is a great stadium, I think the slope thing has become a bit of a cliche. If we ever, and I know it's a bit of a long shot, were to get the chance to play at a higher level, the slope will definitely hold us back.

Just out of interest, how feasible would it be to reduce the slope? To a none practical person like me, it seems impossible as the stands and terracing are also built on a slope. If they could somehow level the pitch, or reduce the slope, those at the top end would have a scary drop onto the pitch and those on the terracing at the bottom end would be unable to see anything as they would be below the level of the pitch.

For the reasons you have stated, I think any work to reduce the slope would cost so much as to not be feasible.

#32 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 274 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

I really don't think the slope has that much of an effect other than a psychological one, it adds to the game and why would we want to give up the home/psychological advantage by leveling it?

When defending downhill, you're running uphill to get back onside and vice-versa. I suppose you could argue that you should be able to run faster down t' hill but I bet it wouldn't make that much of difference over the game. The wind plays a much bigger part in terms of advantage than the slope, what are we going to do about that to level the playing field, play indoors?

I'm with Doc M, maybe the clubs with tiny narrow playing surfaces that promote negativity should be forced to widen them in line with other pitches. Maybe they should promote an attractive brand of rugby, rather than stifling better teams in to playing up the middle.

Edited by DOGFATHER, 08 May 2013 - 03:30 PM.

#33 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

I am not discussing playing on it, I am discussing the perceptions of those who look at our club! I love my club and the Mount as much as anyone, but I just do not think that the slope does us any favours as a club and for progressing in the future.

#34 Morleydog

Morleydog
  • Coach
  • 399 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

When I posted earlier about the slope, I wasn't asking to get rid. I just wondered if we constantly lost the toss, or if we choose the uphill second half option.

I beleive Jeckyl Stocking once posted about the cost of flattening the slope (he sounds like a structural Engineer to me) and the logistics and cost would be very prohibitive.

#35 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 274 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

TBH I think we tend to play better uphill than the opposition most of the time. So I wouldn't be surprised if we chose to play uphill in the second half tactically, get a big lead going in the second half and sicken the opposition off, rather than chasing the game.

On leveling the pitch, there was an article on Boots n All a while back by Angela Powers about one of the Cumbrian amateur clubs I think it was, possibly  Barrow Island? They got funding to level the pitch they played on. I'm sure that the slope on that pitch was a much bigger than ours too.

I wouldn't worry about perceived negativity from away fans, the only negativity about the slope is from fans looking for an excuse after losing to "little" Batley.

If it wasn't the slope it would be the ref, or the altitude, or the half time pies etc. I have never heard anyone whining about it after they have won. I think it puts us on the map rather than a negative, at least we don't play on council owned soul-less ground or an old landfill site. :)

Edited by DOGFATHER, 08 May 2013 - 06:01 PM.

#36 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 542 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

BSJ, our ground is nearly as old as you, and like you its' full of character.  We don't want to change it thank you.  :lol:

#37 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,617 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:16 AM

BSJ, our ground is nearly as old as you, and like you its' full of character.  We don't want to change it thank you.  :lol:

I trust the latter statement applies equally to me also!

So kind. ^_^ ^_^

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#38 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 542 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:10 AM

Of course.

To be serious for a moment, I can see why some might think that the slope should be levelled off.  However, I think that its' fair to say that in my earlier RL watching days a lot of teams had distinctive characteristics as a result of the grounds that they played on. Small tight grounds, heavy grounds, and grounds with 'good' playing surfaces all played their part in creating different styles of play.  The advent of summer Rugby with better playing surfaces  has negated a lot of those differences. Various rule changes  have also made for a more homogenous product.  I'm more than happy that our 'quaint' team has something that makes it a little distinct from the rest.

Did you not prefer Crown Flatts and it nine oil to the Owl Lane Stadium?  I have a fondness for your old ground, its' quirkiness and its history that I will never have for your present ground, and were I a Rams fan I would have been far happier with an up dated Crown Flatts than the new ground.

I trust the latter statement applies equally to me also!

So kind. ^_^ ^_^

Edited by Bi11, 09 May 2013 - 08:12 AM.

#39 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

Instead of worrying about a slight incline, which has been acceptable for many decades, I would prefer the RFL to ensure all grounds are the maximum dimensions. I know you may find this difficult to believe but some grounds built in the last twenty years, and after the dimensions were brought up to metres, Are woefully undersize and this spoils the enjoyment far more than a gentle slope. Goodness knows what some individuals would think if they strolled in the Lake District

Don't know if you've played the game Doc, but I have, and I can't remember standing on my own 20 in the defensive line, cold, wet, miserable and knckered and thinking bloody hell this pitch is narrow by a couple of metres. I have on the other hand, stood at the bottom of pitches in january that would have been gritted if they had been roads and lost the will to live just trying to run the ball out. Thing is though - ITS THE SAME FOR BOTH SIDES. If you are familiar with the pitch, you will inevitably take advantage of the idiosyncrasies, as Batley do with their slope and we obviously do with our 2metre narrower pitch, which is of course, why we have  won only one of our home championship games this season. Good sides adapt - end of. 

#40 mountieman21

mountieman21
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:40 PM

Well said GOR Remember the corners at Odsal where the ball stopped dead!!!