Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Lies, damned lies and statistics

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:00 AM

Sky Sports ( and Phil Clarke) are big on showing how the statistics don't lie in games.
In one of yesterday's games the statistics were
Breaks
Team A 9 Team B 6
Offloads
Team A 9 Team B 17
Penalties
Team A 6 Team B 6
Errors
Team A 15 Team B 10
Completion Rate (%)
Team A 73 Team B 79
On this basis team A had the most breaks,
Team B had the most offloads, the fewest errors and the better completion rate
Penalties were even.
So on those statistics team B must have been better than team A
Final Score was................

Team A 46 Team B 6
( Wigan v Salford)

Who said statistics don't lie?

Edited by bearman, 06 May 2013 - 12:02 AM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#2 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,924 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:58 AM

Need far more than the 5 sets if stats they show on Sky to get a good picture... like metres gained and tackle success rate!
Posted Image

#3 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,331 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

and points scored. I think that may be an important one, too.

#4 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 714 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

Phil Clarke talks through his a*se

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,331 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

So why not put yourself up for the post?

#6 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

I like Phil Clarke and I admire the fact he's trying to do different stuff, but I'm not really very keen on his stats at the moment and it doesn't add anything for me when I'm watching.
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#7 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 714 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

So why not put yourself up for the post?

Whats the wages like? I can talk boll*cks but at least I understand statistics and probability.

#8 Native New Yorker

Native New Yorker
  • 662 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

Sky Sports ( and Phil Clarke) are big on showing how the statistics don't lie in games.
In one of yesterday's games the statistics were
Breaks
Team A 9 Team B 6
Offloads
Team A 9 Team B 17
Penalties
Team A 6 Team B 6
Errors
Team A 15 Team B 10
Completion Rate (%)
Team A 73 Team B 79
On this basis team A had the most breaks,
Team B had the most offloads, the fewest errors and the better completion rate
Penalties were even.
So on those statistics team B must have been better than team A
Final Score was................

Team A 46 Team B 6
( Wigan v Salford)

Who said statistics don't lie?

I was at the game on Friday night and it is true Salford did make a lot of offloads BUT most of the time they were along way from the tryline at were at best an annoyance to Wigan rather than a threat.

I too deal with statistics and my favorite saying is what do you want the answer to be as statistics can always be slanted to a particular question.

Any statistic taken in isolation can be misleading.
SQL Minor Stupidship winner 2011, 2012
Stupid Grand Champion 2012
Challenged Cup Winner 2013

#9 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

The score is the only statistic that counts!
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#10 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,331 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

Whats the wages like? I can talk boll*cks but at least I understand statistics and probability.

You'll understand then that without Clarke's knowledge, training, experience and playing record, your chances are zero.

#11 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:37 AM

and points scored. I think that may be an important one, too.

The score is the only statistic that counts!

And even that, on occasion, is not a fair reflection of the game either...!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#12 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,331 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

It is when we win!

#13 TheChief

TheChief
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

The important stats not included are % possession, metres made, number of carries and no of tackles/missed tackles. I bet Wigans stats for each if those is higher except for tackles.
Follow me on twitter @MalcHankey

#14 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

I was at the game on Friday night and it is true Salford did make a lot of offloads BUT most of the time they were along way from the tryline at were at best an annoyance to Wigan rather than a threat.

I too deal with statistics and my favorite saying is what do you want the answer to be as statistics can always be slanted to a particular question.

Any statistic taken in isolation can be misleading.

Including individual games. Statistics are not invalidated when one example doesn't follow the pattern.

A clear majority of games are won by clubs that win on the statistics too. If you're making better yards than the opposition, completing more sets and playing at the right end of the field then you are giving yourself a much better chance of winning the game. There's no conspiracy in it.

#15 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

speaking of statistics, whatever happened to Phil Clarkes all singing and all dancing final score predictor? It was a shambles.

Was that the shortest lived waste of money we have seen in RL?

I think it was and remain so for all of time..... unless Featherstone Rovers are given a SL licence of course :D

#16 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

speaking of statistics, whatever happened to Phil Clarkes all singing and all dancing final score predictor? It was a shambles.

I think it was and remain so for all of time..... unless Featherstone Rovers are given a SL licence of course :D

its pretty much still there but repackaged.

#17 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:25 AM

... and at times has been there or there abouts.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#18 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:11 AM

Its still there, they just dont make a song and dance about it now. Its used now in the way it should have been last year, as a side note to show how each team are doing, not some kind of mystic meg!

#19 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

I loved the audacity of them to deem the margin metre a success when it merely adjusted it's score depending on the flow and scores in the game.

Hell I can be a pretty good score predictor 5 minutes from full time after I have changed my opinion 6 times. In fact it was so terrible it was laughable :lol:  

#20 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:14 AM

Its still there, they just dont make a song and dance about it now. Its used now in the way it should have been last year, as a side note to show how each team are doing, not some kind of mystic meg!

ok, I have never noticed it this year. as long as it isnt predicting FT scores any more then perhaps it does have merit