Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Presenting the game

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 Eddie Rombo

Eddie Rombo
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

Don't we have nicknames for players anyway? Stevo certainly does.

Rob Burrow - 'Beep beep'
Ade Gardner - 'The man who runs through walls'

And if Gardner's doesn't make the case for not having nicknames, I don't know what does.

Ha ha, i like beep beep, i think its a good one and sums him up, also I think the Leeds players call him that don't they?

The man who runs through walls is a good one but far too long haha

#22 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 484 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

I'm struggling to see where anyone has suggested the much maligned Eddie and Stevo would be put in charge of handing out nicknames to our stars.

Errr... in your very first post, at the top of the page, you suggested they could come up with their own nicknames for players - and then inflict them on the viewing public. I was merely pointing out this was a terrible, terrible, terrible idea. 

Perhaps there is a worse idea though - having a marketing department come up with a player's nickname.  

That's almost the dictionary definition of a bad idea.

#23 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

Surely it would serve sky's objectives to have a better presented programme that would attract more viewers by been better to watch. If the game is presented more professionally and as a must see product then it would drag in new viewers as well as keeping existing viewers happy.

Just to be clear, after last season Sky polled their viewing panel about their Super League coverage which included explicitly asking about each of their main presenters. Just because rugby fans on forums and social media may dislike Eddie and Stevo it does not means general sports fans feel the same way. That Sky will obviously want the best possible ratings and that they do research these matters suggests that the audience is mostly happy or they would have made changes.

#24 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

Let them tell us about what is happening, not endlessly argue about the rules or what the ref is doing wrong. We should be told the history of players, what clubs they played for, their junior teams, injuries they have suffered

Just to be clear, do you exist in linear time?

Edited by Just to be clear, 06 May 2013 - 10:09 PM.

#25 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 484 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

Just to be clear, after last season Sky polled their viewing panel about their Super League coverage which included explicitly asking about each of their main presenters. Just because rugby fans on forums and social media may dislike Eddie and Stevo it does not means general sports fans feel the same way. That Sky will obviously want the best possible ratings and that they do research these matters suggests that the audience is mostly happy or they would have made changes.

A viewing panel of 'general sports fans'???

You're going to have to provide a lot more detail if you want this post to be taken seriously.

#26 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

A viewing panel of 'general sports fans'???

Just to be clear, it is not just for sports fans. It is a panel of viewers, and not just Sky subscribers, that regularly get sent questionnaires by a research agency about Sky's programmes and channels and occasionally asked to comment on pilots or review ideas for new features for the Sky box or their apps. I have no idea how many people are part of it. I'm not sure what other detail you need?

#27 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:24 PM

Why does either man or woman have to be "eye candy"? Clare Balding has been one of the best rugby league hosts in broadcasting and is not usually to be found in the FHM top 100 sexiest. Let's be a bit more progressive and have people there on merit, not looks.

I'm in complete agreement with this. The thing that people love(d) about Clare Balding was her boundless positivity and enthusiasm, who cares what the presenters look like?

Tim Smith's pass to Ben Cockayne hardly got a mention in the Trinity Catalan game, except by Stevo saying it was forward and then conceding it wasn't, and yet it was a sublime piece of skill worthy of the entry fee alone to many of the Trinity fans.  The commentary team chose instead to focus on how many players Catalans were missing (time and time again) as if to devalue the Trinity performance and portray the match itself as second rate,  bad enough you'd have said had the not been simultaneously praising Widnes getting a win against a similarly depleted St Helens side.

Had that ball been passed in say a Rugby Union game, it'd be shown time and time again on SkySports news, maybe even make CNN's play of the day etc.  No wonder the game has such an image problem when the people who supposedly love it and get pad to talk about it cannot talk about the positives in front of them.

#28 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:04 AM

start grooming Wilkin and Crabtree.

Blimey!

#29 Eddie Rombo

Eddie Rombo
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:51 AM

Just to be clear, is this Eddie or Stevo posting?

#30 Eddie Rombo

Eddie Rombo
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:58 AM

I'm in complete agreement with this. The thing that people love(d) about Clare Balding was her boundless positivity and enthusiasm, who cares what the presenters look like?

Tim Smith's pass to Ben Cockayne hardly got a mention in the Trinity Catalan game, except by Stevo saying it was forward and then conceding it wasn't, and yet it was a sublime piece of skill worthy of the entry fee alone to many of the Trinity fans.  The commentary team chose instead to focus on how many players Catalans were missing (time and time again) as if to devalue the Trinity performance and portray the match itself as second rate,  bad enough you'd have said had the not been simultaneously praising Widnes getting a win against a similarly depleted St Helens side.

Had that ball been passed in say a Rugby Union game, it'd be shown time and time again on SkySports news, maybe even make CNN's play of the day etc.  No wonder the game has such an image problem when the people who supposedly love it and get pad to talk about it cannot talk about the positives in front of them.

This is exactly what I mean, we need the game to be presented as the excellent game it is, could you imagine how Barnes and Will Greenwood would have praised that pass in a union game? It should have been shown on sky sports news for the rest of the day, with the commentators going crazy over it, not descended into an argument over whether it was forward.

#31 Eddie Rombo

Eddie Rombo
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

Errr... in your very first post, at the top of the page, you suggested they could come up with their own nicknames for players - and then inflict them on the viewing public. I was merely pointing out this was a terrible, terrible, terrible idea. 

Perhaps there is a worse idea though - having a marketing department come up with a player's nickname.  

That's almost the dictionary definition of a bad idea.

Fair enough, obviously you feel this is a bad idea, do you have any ideas on how the presentation could be improved or do you think it is perfect as it is?

#32 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,981 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:57 AM

I'd bin Terry O'Connor as my number one priority. And find new blood for Eddie and Stevo. Let Rod Studd stick to darts, and also ditch Graham Beecroft. Put Phil Clarke on a "don't mention Wigan unless they are playing" ban. Teach Brian Carney to read an autocue for scripted stuff. Bring in new expert analysis blood rather than Cullen and McRae. Barrie McDermott, Bill Arthur and John Kear are fine by me. Enquire at least about using more British coaches currently in the game like Kear and Brian Noble, but also Brian McDermott, Francis Cummins and Paul Anderson, etc. If (when) Daryl Powell gets the Castleford job, 9 1/2 coaches in Super League will be British or French, use them more, schedule depending. (The half being Tony Smith who has been a British citizen for a few years now.)

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#33 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,981 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

... oh and more ex-players for commentary analysis. And Jon Wells is better now he's stopped shouting.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#34 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,143 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

I'd also suggest getting some brand consistency. Something essential in my opinion. Its no good having a particular style of graphics (for instance) that shows the team line ups, and then having a bad attempt at reproducing something similar to those graphics to present the individual players to the viewers, and then something completely different looking to showcase the try scorers after tries have been scored. it just ends up looking like a mish-mash and unattractive, which it currently is.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#35 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,981 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:39 AM

I'd also suggest getting some brand consistency. Something essential in my opinion. Its no good having a particular style of graphics (for instance) that shows the team line ups, and then having a bad attempt at reproducing something similar to those graphics to present the individual players to the viewers, and then something completely different looking to showcase the try scorers after tries have been scored. it just ends up looking like a mish-mash and unattractive, which it currently is.

On the player icon thingies, I think the best two are the Premier League and RU Premiership. Keep the video element of it a la the Premier League, add stats like the RU Premiership and group them by positions like both do. Oh and have them in away kits if they are playing in it that match.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#36 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,981 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

... and bin the Iron Man/Biffy Craphole intro.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#37 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

Why does either man or woman have to be "eye candy"? Clare Balding has been one of the best rugby league hosts in broadcasting and is not usually to be found in the FHM top 100 sexiest. Let's be a bit more progressive and have people there on merit, not looks.

100% agree.

#38 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

I'm sure I will be in for a pasting on here, but my perspective as a southerner and who has discussed rl with friends/colleagues in my area is that whilst this is a National game, it is still  seen by lots of people south of Warford gap as a Northern game,  We need people on tv from all over the UK to be commentators, summarisers, interviewers - not just people with northern accents who just add to the northerness of the game.... and don't get me started on the players being interviewed, (in studios, not after games) Is there a competition on to see who can talk with the most graveliest, northern accent and throw in a few 'we got us tactics right',  'anyroad',  'it dunt hurt'.

If you want the game to appeal nationally, and it should on its own merits of being a great game to watch, I'm affraid the game has to try to show an 'all inclusiveness' in its presentation. 

(Yes, I know we have one Irishman on the Sky team and the lovely Claire on the BBC, but we need more).

Edited by Jasper, 07 May 2013 - 09:52 AM.

#39 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 484 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

Fair enough, obviously you feel this is a bad idea, do you have any ideas on how the presentation could be improved or do you think it is perfect as it is?

Sky's coverage almost gives me a physical pain.  The single biggest improvement they could do would be to pension-off Eddie & Stevo and throw money at Dave Woods. 

Unfortunately this won't happen unless Neville Smith steps aside.  So we're stuck.

#40 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 484 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

Just to be clear, it is not just for sports fans. It is a panel of viewers, and not just Sky subscribers, that regularly get sent questionnaires by a research agency about Sky's programmes and channels and occasionally asked to comment on pilots or review ideas for new features for the Sky box or their apps. I have no idea how many people are part of it. I'm not sure what other detail you need?

Forgive me if I'm not entirely convinced by a research agency's 'questionnaire' - sent to people who don't watch rugby league or subscribe to Sky - asking for their detailed opinion on Sky's rugby league commentary team.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users