Presenting the game

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

Forgive me if I'm not entirely convinced by a research agency's 'questionnaire' - sent to people who don't watch rugby league or subscribe to Sky - asking for their detailed opinion on Sky's rugby league commentary team.

Just to be clear, the panel is a cross-section of viewers, how does that equate to them not watching rugby league? Obviously those who have no interest in rugby will not respond, but maybe some of those who do not is because they find Eddie and Stevo off putting. After all, that is the claim being made, that more people would watch with better presentation so surely their opinion is relevant. And those who do not subscribe to Sky could still watch Sky Sports on Virgin, BT, or Topup TV. They may be Premier Sports subscribers who like rugby league but do not have Sky Sports because they do not like how they present it, a claim some have made on this forum.

That fact is Sky have a system in place to consulate with general viewers to get unbiased opinions. It will certainly be a lot more reliable than a forum with a few dozen people deciding that because they do not like something that no one else does. The idea that a change of presentation will suddenly make more people want to watch rugby league based on no evidence at all is hardly convincing. Heck, this thread started with someone suggesting that Sky would get more viewers if they plastered advertising throughout its coverage.

P.S. I'm not Eddie or Stevo, or anything to do with Sky.

#42 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,026 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

But you are refereeing t'Bulls on Friday night... ;)

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#43 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 484 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

Just to be clear, the panel is a cross-section of viewers, how does that equate to them not watching rugby league? Obviously those who have no interest in rugby will not respond, but maybe some of those who do not is because they find Eddie and Stevo off putting. After all, that is the claim being made, that more people would watch with better presentation so surely their opinion is relevant. And those who do not subscribe to Sky could still watch Sky Sports on Virgin, BT, or Topup TV. They may be Premier Sports subscribers who like rugby league but do not have Sky Sports because they do not like how they present it, a claim some have made on this forum.

That fact is Sky have a system in place to consulate with general viewers to get unbiased opinions. It will certainly be a lot more reliable than a forum with a few dozen people deciding that because they do not like something that no one else does. The idea that a change of presentation will suddenly make more people want to watch rugby league based on no evidence at all is hardly convincing. Heck, this thread started with someone suggesting that Sky would get more viewers if they plastered advertising throughout its coverage.

I've never claimed getting rid of Eddie & Stevo would increase viewers.  It may do, it may not.  I'm more concerned that many people who presently watch the game appear to do so through gritted teeth - and they deserve much, much better for their Sky dollars.  Stevo is simply incapable of communicating effectively with an audience - he appears to understand almost nothing of the modern game, is incapable of reading what happens on the field of play and explaining or analysing things for the viewer, and spends every single game repeating the same tired old cliches he has for the past 25 years.  I could pick any game this season and he'd be saying exactly the same old nonesense he always does - a commentator who only ever uses three adjectives (superb, poor, silly) should not be employed.  He hasn't uttered an original thought in years.  'Simple as that' - as Stevo would tediously and robotically say.

#44 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

I've never claimed getting rid of Eddie & Stevo would increase viewers.  It may do, it may not.  I'm more concerned that many people who presently watch the game appear to do so through gritted teeth - and they deserve much, much better for their Sky dollars.  Stevo is simply incapable of communicating effectively with an audience - he appears to understand almost nothing of the modern game, is incapable of reading what happens on the field of play and explaining or analysing things for the viewer, and spends every single game repeating the same tired old cliches he has for the past 25 years.  I could pick any game this season and he'd be saying exactly the same old nonesense he always does - a commentator who only ever uses three adjectives (superb, poor, silly) should not be employed.  He hasn't uttered an original thought in years.  'Simple as that' - as Stevo would tediously and robotically say.

I too don't think that getting rid of Eddie and Stevo would would increase viewers, it would however increase my enjoyment and perhaps stop the drift towards the NRL on Premier, if indeed that drift is real or detectable.

I think you have to lay down one criteria for sports commentators (in any sport) in addition to whether they can present; would they pay to watch the sport out of their own pocket were they not employed to talk about it?  I can't imagine Stevo or Eddie at a game queuing in a the turnstyles.

#45 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,026 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

I think you have to lay down one criteria for sports commentators (in any sport) in addition to whether they can present; would they pay to watch the sport out of their own pocket were they not employed to talk about it?  I can't imagine Stevo or Eddie at a game queuing in a the turnstyles.

Probably chuck the majority of journo's under that blanket too.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#46 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

Probably chuck the majority of journo's under that blanket too.

Oh I'm not so sure about that.  Most clearly love the game and talk about it relentlessly.  I have seen a number at various non-heartland clubs over the years, there in their own time and expense.

#47 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,422 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

Oh I'm not so sure about that. Most clearly love the game and talk about it relentlessly. I have seen a number at various non-heartland clubs over the years, there in their own time and expense.

i've been at events where Eddie has given his time free of charge for the good of the game.

#48 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 484 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

i've been at events where Eddie has given his time free of charge for the good of the game.

His retirement party...?

#49 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

And as Stevo set up the RL museum at Huddersfield, it's a bit harsh to criticise him considering what he's done away from the commentary box.

#50 Eddie Rombo

Eddie Rombo
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

Sky's coverage almost gives me a physical pain.  The single biggest improvement they could do would be to pension-off Eddie & Stevo and throw money at Dave Woods. 

Unfortunately this won't happen unless Neville Smith steps aside.  So we're stuck.

I agree Dave Woods is a good commentator.

Who else would members get if we could put together a dream team for the super league presentation on sky?

Clare Balding- good presenter, well spoken, loves the game?

Tanya Arnold- Does a good job on the super league show?

Craig Doyle- on itv for the rugby union highlights, a good presenter, good knowledge, give him time and would be the same about rugby league?

Any other suggestions?

What ex players would we like to see give analysis?

Would anyone be kept from the team now?

What sort of analysis and information from commentators are you looking for?

#51 Eddie Rombo

Eddie Rombo
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

I'm sure I will be in for a pasting on here, but my perspective as a southerner and who has discussed rl with friends/colleagues in my area is that whilst this is a National game, it is still  seen by lots of people south of Warford gap as a Northern game,  We need people on tv from all over the UK to be commentators, summarisers, interviewers - not just people with northern accents who just add to the northerness of the game.... and don't get me started on the players being interviewed, (in studios, not after games) Is there a competition on to see who can talk with the most graveliest, northern accent and throw in a few 'we got us tactics right',  'anyroad',  'it dunt hurt'.

If you want the game to appeal nationally, and it should on its own merits of being a great game to watch, I'm affraid the game has to try to show an 'all inclusiveness' in its presentation. 

(Yes, I know we have one Irishman on the Sky team and the lovely Claire on the BBC, but we need more).

I agree completely with this.

#52 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

And as Stevo set up the RL museum at Huddersfield, it's a bit harsh to criticise him considering what he's done away from the commentary box.

I'm well aware of Stevo's effort in that field and they are rightly applauded.  I don't think the two things are connected.

#53 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

Doesn't Tulsen Tollet present on ESPN or one of the other satellite channels? wouldnt mind seeing Tulsen back on SKYs RL coverage.

James Richardson is someone i've always enjoyed watching as a presenter, my dream team would be:

James Richardson - Presenter
Brian Carney - Analyst/co-commentator/part-time presenter
Phil Clarke - Analyst/co-commentator
Tulsen Tollett - Analyst/part-time presenter

Dave Woods - Commentator
Tanya Arnold - Reporter/part-time presenter

Jon Wells - pitchside reporter/interviewer
Barrie McDermott - pitchside reporter/interviewer

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#54 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

Tulsen Tollet is currently employed by the BBC.

By far and away the most listenable/professional commentators are Dave Woods and ex-BBC commentator Jon Champion.

The easiest way to improve Sky's coverage is to reduce the number of bodies in the commentary box.

Eddie Hemmings - Commentator no more no less. Call the game, do not opine. Do not argue with the analyst/summariser.

One of: Stevo, Clarke, Carney, Cullen Kear as analyst during the game no more. An additional half and full-time analyst from the aforementioned list to dissect the plays/offer an alternative take on the in-game analyst.

Under no circumstances should the commentator/analyst start arguing amongst themselves. Call the game and analyse it. No more no less.

A few simple steps, would improve how the game is presented onto a new plain.

#55 Garvers

Garvers
  • Coach
  • 484 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:11 PM

Doesn't Tulsen Tollet present on ESPN or one of the other satellite channels? wouldnt mind seeing Tulsen back on SKYs RL coverage.

James Richardson is someone i've always enjoyed watching as a presenter, my dream team would be:

James Richardson - Presenter
Brian Carney - Analyst/co-commentator/part-time presenter
Phil Clarke - Analyst/co-commentator
Tulsen Tollett - Analyst/part-time presenter

Dave Woods - Commentator
Tanya Arnold - Reporter/part-time presenter

Jon Wells - pitchside reporter/interviewer
Barrie McDermott - pitchside reporter/interviewer

Can't really argue with that.

Sky's team doesn't need a complete overhaul - a solid core of Carney, Clarke and Wells are smart, articulate, and present a modern positive image and should absolutely be kept.  Adding Tollett would be a good move.

James Richardson's a very good broadcaster - no idea whether he knows anything about the game.

And if you'd asked me a couple of years ago, I'd have said get rid of McDermott.  But I think he's improved considerably and worth keeping. 

#56 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:52 AM

I'm well aware of Stevo's effort in that field and they are rightly applauded.  I don't think the two things are connected.

Why not? If he's prepared to give up significant amounts of his own time for the game setting up a museum using his own collection, why wouldn't he be prepared to queue at the turnstiles as you earlier stated? Just because he doesn't have to, doesn't immediately mean he wouldn't.

#57 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,026 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:55 AM

...By far and away the most listenable/professional commentators are Dave Woods and ex-BBC commentator Jon Champion....

Funnily enough, Jon Champion is one of the earliest "voices of league" for me. Hearing his nasal whine on Cup commentary and the narration on The Story of Rugby League video brings it all back.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#58 Eddie Rombo

Eddie Rombo
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

Can't really argue with that.

Sky's team doesn't need a complete overhaul - a solid core of Carney, Clarke and Wells are smart, articulate, and present a modern positive image and should absolutely be kept.  Adding Tollett would be a good move.

James Richardson's a very good broadcaster - no idea whether he knows anything about the game.

And if you'd asked me a couple of years ago, I'd have said get rid of McDermott.  But I think he's improved considerably and worth keeping. 

James Richardson would be a good addition. He has a good reputation in the football world, which could bring over new viewers.

He also has a popular blog with the Guardian that is very well read, a similar one for rugby league would give the game a lot of extra coverage.

He presented the worlds strongest man, so you would think he would be open to coming over to rugby league

#59 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:11 AM

I kind of get the impression James Richardson might be the kind of guy who insists on some form of freedom in his work, hence why he isn't tied down to one particular sport or show. Would love to see him front the RL coverage on SKY, purely as a presenter, someone who can direct questions at the guests and analysts and get their opinions on the topics of the day.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#60 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

I agree Dave Woods is a good commentator.

Who else would members get if we could put together a dream team for the super league presentation on sky?

Clare Balding- good presenter, well spoken, loves the game?

Tanya Arnold- Does a good job on the super league show?

Craig Doyle- on itv for the rugby union highlights, a good presenter, good knowledge, give him time and would be the same about rugby league?

Any other suggestions?

What ex players would we like to see give analysis?

Would anyone be kept from the team now?

What sort of analysis and information from commentators are you looking for?

I quite liked Ray Warren's son, Steve was it? Thought he was pretty good. I just want some personality and a couple of people who will not just sit on the fence but criticize a player or coach for poor performances.

I think if Ian Millward was a little more critical then he would be brilliant. He is quite funny at times on the SL show which normally bores me to tears. 

Its a shame in a way that Brian Noble has gone back into coaching, he has been very good on 5Live's Fighting Talk recently and has a personality as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users