Presenting the game

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

Why not? If he's prepared to give up significant amounts of his own time for the game setting up a museum using his own collection, why wouldn't he be prepared to queue at the turnstiles as you earlier stated? Just because he doesn't have to, doesn't immediately mean he wouldn't.

What do you mean "he doesn't have to", why not?  

#62 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,394 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

What do you mean "he doesn't have to", why not?  

erm, because he gets in free as he is working?

#63 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

I was thinking more of a Sunday afternoon fixture, not covered by Sky.  Or a championship match.  They may well queue up and pay on the gate or buy tickets like the rest of us, but the impression that they give me from their constant negativity is that they're no longer in love with the game so are pretty unlikely to do so.

Interestingly, and largely unrelated  but not worthy of another thread, Wakefield Trinity recently introduced an excellent past players association, whereby ex players can pay a small fee to the club and get heavily discounted (£30 per year) membership which entitles them and a guest to entry to all home games.  It's certainly seems to have helped renew bonds between ex-players and the club AND stop the something for nothing culture that could be seen at times.  

#64 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

Exactly that. Cheers Dave.

#65 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

I was thinking more of a Sunday afternoon fixture, not covered by Sky.  Or a championship match.  They may well queue up and pay on the gate or buy tickets like the rest of us, but the impression that they give me from their constant negativity is that they're no longer in love with the game so are pretty unlikely to do so.

And how do you know Eddie or Stevo don't go to other matches? Your impression might be completely wrong.

And what if they don't? They see at least 2 games live every week. That's more than most people do.

#66 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

And how do you know Eddie or Stevo don't go to other matches? Your impression might be completely wrong.

And what if they don't? They see at least 2 games live every week. That's more than most people do.

Quite right, it's my impression from the negative and ill informed nonsense they spout whilst doing their job for Sky.  For all I know they could be regulars at Owl Lane or Derwent Park, but I don't get that impression.

It harks back to my original point, in that it's my preference that people that commentate on the game are enthusiastic about it, I don't see Eddie as being a die hard RL man, and I don't think Stevo's that interested either.

#67 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

I'm sure I will be in for a pasting on here, but my perspective as a southerner and who has discussed rl with friends/colleagues in my area is that whilst this is a National game, it is still seen by lots of people south of Warford gap as a Northern game, We need people on tv from all over the UK to be commentators, summarisers, interviewers - not just people with northern accents who just add to the northerness of the game.... and don't get me started on the players being interviewed, (in studios, not after games) Is there a competition on to see who can talk with the most graveliest, northern accent and throw in a few 'we got us tactics right', 'anyroad', 'it dunt hurt'.
If you want the game to appeal nationally, and it should on its own merits of being a great game to watch, I'm affraid the game has to try to show an 'all inclusiveness' in its presentation.
(Yes, I know we have one Irishman on the Sky team and the lovely Claire on the BBC, but we need more).

The problem is, if someone's northern, chances are that they'll sound northern.

#68 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

People accuse Eddie and Stevo of talking nonsense then back it up with nonsense about what they may or may not do in their spare time. Chances are you have far more in common with E&S than you might imagine...

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#69 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

People accuse Eddie and Stevo of talking nonsense then back it up with nonsense about what they may or may not do in their spare time. Chances are you have far more in common with E&S than you might imagine...

Guilty as charged.

#70 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

Quite right, it's my impression from the negative and ill informed nonsense they spout whilst doing their job for Sky.  For all I know they could be regulars at Owl Lane or Derwent Park, but I don't get that impression.

It harks back to my original point, in that it's my preference that people that commentate on the game are enthusiastic about it, I don't see Eddie as being a die hard RL man, and I don't think Stevo's that interested either.

There's plenty of people on here who spout 'negative and ill informed nonsense', but it doesn't mean they're not interested in the game.

And whatever your thoughts on Stevo's style of commentary, I find it hard to believe that anyone could think he's not that interested in the sport.

#71 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

There's plenty of people on here who spout 'negative and ill informed nonsense', but it doesn't mean they're not interested in the game.

And whatever your thoughts on Stevo's style of commentary, I find it hard to believe that anyone could think he's not that interested in the sport.

As someone who hasn't been following league for all that long, the impression I've always had of Stevo is that he's super passionate about the game.

#72 Eddie Rombo

Eddie Rombo
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

There is no doubt that Stevo is passionate about rugby league, he has had a good career out of the game but the question is, is he really the best man to present the game to the public?

Stevo is 66 years old and Eddie 64, in light of Alex Ferguson's retirement, seemingly at the top of his game, you would think these two would be considering their retirements anyway. 

No one can really blame them for repeating the same old cliches and waffling on, they have been doing the same job for over twenty years, it is clear the game needs freshening up, with some young blood brought in. That's why someone like James Richardson would be such a good choice, he is fairly young, would have a new perspective on the game and already has a national profile, with good contacts throughout the media.

#73 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

National Profile is pushing it a bit - Cult Profile is more accurate. He would be a good, but as someone mentioned before I think he prefers the freedom he gets from the Serie A and Guardian gigs. It's never going to happen. (Besides if there was any justice he'd have been presenting Match of the Day 2 years ago)

Edited by Amber Avenger, 08 May 2013 - 10:40 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users