Ed Miliband

• Please log in to reply
1064 replies to this topic

#221 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,312 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

Gut feeling is that if Cameron were to rid his party of the UKIP tendency and promote a few more Lib Dem policies, he'd stand a chance of pulling in a few more centre votes.

Perhaps its what happens in the last 3 months of the 5 year spell, that counts, though...and what role Theresa May plays.

If the Tories can place the blame on Labour for the shambles that the NHS is becoming under their stewardship, then they'll probably get in again. Presumably Hunt's cyncal attempt to shift the blame to Labour for failing hospitals is their new plan to do this.  Until this year I've been attended to promptly for a test I've taken every year since 2008. This year I received a letter inviting me to ring for an appointment, I duly rang and was told there were no appointments available.  They'd let me know when there were, this was a month ago - I'm still waiting. My son who's case is much more serious than mine is getting similar treatment.  I went to my GP and she informed me that appointments have been farmed out to an organisation similar to "Ticketmaster!"  So much for the NHS being safe in Cameron's hands.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#222 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

If the Tories can place the blame on Labour for the shambles that the NHS is becoming under their stewardship, then they'll probably get in again. Presumably Hunt's cyncal attempt to shift the blame to Labour for failing hospitals is their new plan to do this.  Until this year I've been attended to promptly for a test I've taken every year since 2008. This year I received a letter inviting me to ring for an appointment, I duly rang and was told there were no appointments available.  They'd let me know when there were, this was a month ago - I'm still waiting. My son who's case is much more serious than mine is getting similar treatment.  I went to my GP and she informed me that appointments have been farmed out to an organisation similar to "Ticketmaster!"  So much for the NHS being safe in Cameron's hands.

Earlier this year I got an appointment with my GP the day after calling to try and get one, he's sent me for full bloods, I turned up a couple of days later to make an appointment. The lady on the desk, searched through her computer to try and find a day, it was looking likely to be a wait of a week, which was as far as I was concerned, fine, it is free after all. The next thing, she calls a colleague, hands over my sheet and asks for a favour, and tells me she'll "fix" the appointment I was in and out in 20 mins.

The one thing I did notice while making my appointment was the number of people saying "I can't do that day, it needs to be a Tuesday, before 8:30am" or variants of.

Who's fault was Mid Stafford? And the ones that have gone into special measures that Burnham is trying to wash his hands of?

Edited by archibald, 20 July 2013 - 03:46 PM.

#223 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,312 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

Who's fault was Mid Stafford? And the ones that have gone into special measures that Burnham is trying to wash his hands of?

I think if you investigate further you'll find that the one in need of handwashing is Hunt.  Sure Mid-Staffs was a disgrace and it happened under Labour. What everyone has forgotten is what an absolute shambles the NHS was under the Tories between 1979 & 1997.  And in my experience it's becoming so again.  I'd have bet money on you being the one to reply to my post BTW.  You're as predictable as the tides! :P

#224 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

NHS chief says sorry to Andy Burnham for Tory 'smear' campaign

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#225 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,309 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

Earlier this year I got an appointment with my GP the day after calling to try and get one, he's sent me for full bloods, I turned up a couple of days later to make an appointment. The lady on the desk, searched through her computer to try and find a day, it was looking likely to be a wait of a week, which was as far as I was concerned, fine, it is free after all. The next thing, she calls a colleague, hands over my sheet and asks for a favour, and tells me she'll "fix" the appointment I was in and out in 20 mins.
The one thing I did notice while making my appointment was the number of people saying "I can't do that day, it needs to be a Tuesday, before 8:30am" or variants of.

Requesting an appointment so that it minimises the disruption to someone's work day is reasonable IMO. One of the purposes of a nation health service is to ensure the working population is healthy and therefore productive.
Fides invicta triumphat

#226 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,066 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

Requesting an appointment so that it minimises the disruption to someone's work day is reasonable IMO. One of the purposes of a nation health service is to ensure the working population is healthy and therefore productive.

My local surgery does Saturday appointments and at least two of the four doctors work until 7pm every night to accommodate working people.  If you really need an appointment one day but there are no appointments available then you will get a telephone appointment, this is also quite good if you work a long commute away from home and the surgery.  If the doctor then decides you need to be physically seen then you'll get an appointment for that day somehow or another.

I've never failed to get an appointment when it has been needed.

The practice doctors are 3 Germans and one Indian chap.  Unfailingly polite, always willing to give you extra time if you need it but then quite keen to get you out the door for simple stuff so that they can get some time back.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#227 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,312 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:05 PM

It seems to me that Hunt is trying to cover up the "car crash" that the NHS is fast becoming. Since my last post I've heard that a cousin of mine, in St James's, Leeds with terminal cancer had to wait three hours to relieve himself despite asking nurses on several occasions.  They were, they said "too busy"  Isn't this one of the complaints levelled at Mid Staffs?

#228 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,379 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

My local surgery does Saturday appointments and at least two of the four doctors work until 7pm every night to accommodate working people.  If you really need an appointment one day but there are no appointments available then you will get a telephone appointment, this is also quite good if you work a long commute away from home and the surgery.  If the doctor then decides you need to be physically seen then you'll get an appointment for that day somehow or another.

I've never failed to get an appointment when it has been needed.

The practice doctors are 3 Germans and one Indian chap.  Unfailingly polite, always willing to give you extra time if you need it but then quite keen to get you out the door for simple stuff so that they can get some time back.

You don't need to mention race.  The GPs at my local practice are all white and it's regarded (I think, rightly) as one of the best in the country.  It would be perfect if they did out of hours but (at the minute, this may change) there is region-wide out of hours GP cover if you need it.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#229 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:46 PM

There has to be give and take. I try and get an appointment as late in the day as possible, luckily, Monday has a late surgery for people who work. That's a new thing.

#230 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:48 PM

It seems to me that Hunt is trying to cover up the "car crash" that the NHS is fast becoming. Since my last post I've heard that a cousin of mine, in St James's, Leeds with terminal cancer had to wait three hours to relieve himself despite asking nurses on several occasions.  They were, they said "too busy"  Isn't this one of the complaints levelled at Mid Staffs?

So, the nurses need sacking then.

Were there any complaints at Mid Staffs, or were they bumped off before they had the chance?

#231 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,379 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

There is also the chance that, as happens, the nurses weren't up to scratch.  It's a tough job after all and not everyone can do it.  That was also an issue at Mid Staffs in that below-par nursing was not reported (because nurses are angels) *as well as* practices that made it difficult for good nursing.

- Severus, July 2012

#232 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,614 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

there are I think, 1.4 million people work in the NHS.  It is a mighty undertaking in a field where not only are the number of patients increasing owing to increased life expectancy, new treatments re coming along al the time, the cost and complexity of everything from patient transport vehicles through to organ transplants, cancer treatment etc are soaring.  The nation cannot just keep signing a blank cheque, though and I'm sure all parties are keen to see cost control and efficiency as key elements of management focus.

I think accountability and transparency have until very recently taken a back seat. We no seem to have increased transparency, but still very little accountability..and virtually no say.

#233 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,379 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

still very little accountability..and virtually no say.

I put up a King's Fund video on here which explains both the accountability and ways of having a say.

Good luck following it.

- Severus, July 2012

#234 Frank Machin

Frank Machin
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

Is this thread about Ed Miliband, or the NHS?

#235 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

Funnily enough (or not), Trojan my mother has spent a lot of time in St James with terminal cancer as well

Her treatment has been exemplary. Well done to the staff at St James 9that also used to include my wife). I cannot believe your example at all

To use such as an example to reinforce an ignorant and ill informed political stance is frankly contemptable

Ive given this forum a rest over the last couple of weeks due to the lamentable standard of debate, having come back this week it seems its not improved

#236 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,379 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

Funnily enough (or not), Trojan my mother has spent a lot of time in St James with terminal cancer as well

Her treatment has been exemplary. Well done to the staff at St James 9that also used to include my wife). I cannot believe your example at all

To use such as an example to reinforce an ignorant and ill informed political stance is frankly contemptable

Ive given this forum a rest over the last couple of weeks due to the lamentable standard of debate, having come back this week it seems its not improved

Both your posts are one-off, personal, anecdotes. 

Neither would stand up as evidence of either widespread good care or bad care.

- Severus, July 2012

#237 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

Er, pot, kettle, black?

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#238 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,312 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

Are you actually calling me a liar?  (BTW it's contemptible.)  However, I now have a further example in my saga of my eye test.  Having waited over a month for the appointment to come, seen my GP and still no appointment, I rang the hospital on Monday. I was told "there is a waiting list."  for appointments.  I first started attending the clinic in 2008.  There was no waiting list then or in 2009/2010/2011 or 2012 but  in 2013, since the "reforms" suddenly there's a waiting list for a test to ensure I'm not going blind!

#239 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:55 AM

Are you actually calling me a liar?  (BTW it's contemptible.)  However, I now have a further example in my saga of my eye test.  Having waited over a month for the appointment to come, seen my GP and still no appointment, I rang the hospital on Monday. I was told "there is a waiting list."  for appointments.  I first started attending the clinic in 2008.  There was no waiting list then or in 2009/2010/2011 or 2012 but  in 2013, since the "reforms" suddenly there's a waiting list for a test to ensure I'm not going blind!

Perhaps yours isn't a severe case and has been given low priority over more urgent cases ?

Regarding appointments, at my GP's the Doctors can make you a hospital appointment while you are there in the examination room as they have access to the hospital booking system and can tell you exactly when there are appointments available and secure the appointment for you there and then on their computer.

#240 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

Are you still driving a car?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)