TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Ed Miliband

• Please log in to reply
1089 replies to this topic

#501 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

There is in this country too. Look into the buy out of Dulux by Crown/Akzo. Which, if you looked at how much it costs to produce your 2,5l of "Soft Toasted Almond" to flog at, what, £15 a can, you'd never buy paint again.

What would you use instead?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#502 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

A revelation today.  I think I've been convinced to vote Labour at the next election by that bastion of the free press, the Daily Mail.

It sounds petty but I'd happily have Ed in power in preference to the other parties just to see how frothy mouthed the UK's version of Fox News becomes.  In reality though, if my planned abstention meant that we had another idiot Coalition or Tory government then I'd be ashamed of myself and I'm now fairly convinced to vote for the best of a bad bunch in Labour.

Daily Mail shameful article on Ed Miliband's dead father on Saturday 28th Sept

Ed's reply printed today by the Mail

Mail Editorial today discussing Ed's rebuttal

More vitriol from Geoffrey Levy in the Mail today

The Mail have taken a fragmented, tiny bit of an entire lifetime and twisted it into shamefully smearing the reputation of a dead man who fought on our side under our cap badge in WW2.

Filth, just utter filth.  If the Mail were a forum member then I'd be hitting the ban button for extreme and distasteful trolling.

Edit: in a rare show of solidarity, both Cameron and Clegg seem to have taken Ed's side, Cameron supporting a rebuttal against an attack on family but Clegg in full support of Ed's response.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#503 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

While I'm not a fan of Ed, and am unlikely to vote for either of the main parties in the next election that article and their defence of it really shows the paper up for what it is.

They fail to mention that not too much before that they (the Mail) supported Hitler and the Nazi's.

Edited by RidingPie, 01 October 2013 - 10:11 AM.

#504 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

A revelation today.  I think I've been convinced to vote Labour at the next election by that bastion of the free press, the Daily Mail.

It sounds petty but I'd happily have Ed in power in preference to the other parties just to see how frothy mouthed the UK's version of Fox News becomes.  In reality though, if my planned abstention meant that we had another idiot Coalition or Tory government then I'd be ashamed of myself and I'm now fairly convinced to vote for the best of a bad bunch in Labour.

The Mail have taken a fragmented, tiny bit of an entire lifetime and twisted it into shamefully smearing the reputation of a dead man who fought on our side under our cap badge in WW2.

Filth, just utter filth.  If the Mail were a forum member then I'd be hitting the ban button for extreme and distasteful trolling.

Edit: in a rare show of solidarity, both Cameron and Clegg have taken Ed's side, Cameron supporting a rebuttal against an attack on family but Clegg in full support of Ed's response.

Filth? Exactly! Especially when you consider the Mail's adoring attitude towards Hitler in the run up to WW2.

Who would you want on your side, Miliband senior or the Nazi sympathisers of the Daily Mail?

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#505 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

The odious Jeremy Hunt has said the Mail's line of attack is fair game.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#506 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

Though the Mail's delivery may be questionable, the message is spot on.

That people who fought for the British against fascism cast an evil legacy over the present day?

- Severus, July 2012

#507 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,745 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

Filth? Exactly! Especially when you consider the Mail's adoring attitude towards Hitler in the run up to WW2.

Who would you want on your side, Miliband senior or the Nazi sympathisers of the Daily Mail?

The answer is of course neither. Equally, it would be somewhat hypocritical to adopt the Mails own approach when attacking the Mail.

Whether you like it or not,( and I don't like it) The Mail is very popular, has a big circulation, has a huge on-line audience.

You know, a bit like democracy...its far too important to be left to the majority.

As for Eds dad being described as an academic intellectual Marxist, have they never heard of oxymoron and the trade descriptions act?

#508 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,745 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

That people who fought for the British against fascism cast an evil legacy over the present day?

of course it can. Hitler was virulently anti communist....

#509 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

of course it can. Hitler was virulently anti communist....

I'm glad we agree then that this evil man who fled persecution, fought for the country, had two sons enter parliament and spent his life as an academic just really hated this country and everything it stood for and has left a toxic legacy the Mail is right to expose.

- Severus, July 2012

#510 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

Sounds evil: http://www.telegraph...h-Miliband.html

- Severus, July 2012

#511 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

He didn't fight for the British, the British way of live or values.. He fought, via the interpreting he did,  for the Communist beliefs he held. Britain simply provided a convenient vehicle for that fight.

Both Miliband brothers are former Communist Party members.  Miliband will hang himself in the run up to the election. He can't keep the facade up for ever.

Did he wear a British uniform in the Royal Navy?  Yes

Did he pledge allegiance to the King while doing so?  Yes

Did he put his life at risk while doing so?  Yes

Did he have to?  No, he was a volunteer and could easily have seen out the war in Britain.

As far as I'm concerned, he's entitled to be as anti-establishment as he wants if he's fought for this country.  It's about as far as you can go towards earning the right to free speech.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#512 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,745 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

Something we have a right to be proud of, too. Free speech is not something that has been available under Marxist regimes.

Proud also that this country has been a place of shelter for dissidents... not something that all Marxist regimes can say.

Also proud that press freedom allows the Mail to publish opinons such as these...however disagreeable to you so you can form your own opinions. . unless you think they should not be free to do so.

A right of free speech

#513 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

Something we have a right to be proud of, too. Free speech is not something that has been available under Marxist regimes.

Proud also that this country has been a place of shelter for dissidents... not something that all Marxist regimes can say.

Also proud that press freedom allows the Mail to publish opinons such as these...however disagreeable to you so you can form your own opinions. . unless you think they should not be free to do so.

A right of free speech

They have every right to publish an article like that legally as it's damnably hard, but not impossible, to sue someone for defaming the dead.  Ethically it's about as "right" as peeing on someone's grave.

I have the right to my opinion that they're a filthy rag that deserves every bit of contempt it gets.  They've always been a bit iffy in their editorial style but their move over the last couple of years towards the Fox News style of irrational views and barely legal exaggeration is distasteful in the extreme.

• nec likes this

#514 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

Edit: in a rare show of solidarity, both Cameron and Clegg seem to have taken Ed's side, Cameron supporting a rebuttal against an attack on family but Clegg in full support of Ed's response.

I read a tweet today its not a newspaper its a sewer.

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#515 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,149 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

A right of free speech

So what? There have been plenty of non Marxist regimes who have been equally anti free speech throughout the world as well.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#516 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

A right of free speech

And it is our right to call them ###### by way of reply.

Except it isn't.  Cos of the sweary filter.

- Severus, July 2012

#517 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

A right of free speech

I don't think anyone is arguing that the Mail shouldn't be allowed to publish stuff like that.

It's more a matter of questioning their judgement in having done so. Not just once, but twice.

Given that paper's own family history, it is staggeringly hypocritical for them to start pointing the finger at others about their past.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#518 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,745 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

I read a tweet today its not a newspaper its a sewer.

reading sweets is not something you can do in some Marxist regimes.

Edited by JohnM, 01 October 2013 - 01:53 PM.

#519 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,745 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

I don't think anyone is arguing that the Mail shouldn't be allowed to publish stuff like that.

It's more a matter of questioning their judgement in having done so. Not just once, but twice.

Given that paper's own family history, it is staggeringly hypocritical for them to start pointing the finger at others about their past.

quite. it may turn out to be counter productive, too, though not sure about that.

#520 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

reading sweets is not something you can do in some Marxist regimes.

No, but you are encouraged to chew them.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users