Ed Miliband

• Please log in to reply
1067 replies to this topic

#641 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

That's two Daily Sport articles you have posted in as many days. Perhaps you're not quite the sophisticate you would have us all believe? :P

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#642 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:02 PM

Now that Ed's said he intends to save the middle class, I wonder who'll step up to save the working class?

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#643 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,750 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

Now that Ed's said he intends to save the middle class, I wonder who'll step up to save the working class?

He'll need to win the votes of both to attempt to be able to achieve anything for either.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#644 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

I often find that even if traditional working class (who ever they are now) Labour supporter who have lost faith in Labour in the last 15 years or so will still support them ?

#645 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,319 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

Depends how many ex Labour who voted Liberal to keep the Tories out in 2005 & 2010 return to the fold.  Depends how many Tories vote UKIP.  I think the Tory nightmare is of UKIIP being a rightwing version of the SDP who kept Maggie in no 10 for possibly an extra five years.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#646 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:49 PM

Depends how many ex Labour who voted Liberal to keep the Tories out in 2005 & 2010 return to the fold.  Depends how many Tories vote UKIP.  I think the Tory nightmare is of UKIIP being a rightwing version of the SDP who kept Maggie in no 10 for possibly an extra five years.

If the ex-Labour who voted Liberal to keep the Tories out of certain seats return to the fold, won't the Tories get in in those seats?

Also, although the SDP split hampered Labour 'for a generation', they were a breakaway from the right of the party (or towards the centre of the political spectrum), and, if anything, were closer to the Tories. David Owen, for example, was outspoken in preferring Thatcher to the prospect of a Labour government.

If the split had been on the left of the party, their potential supporters at general election time would have been much more likely to return to the fold and vote for their own party.

Those Tories now saying that they will vote UKIP, and probably will do at the Euro elections, will be faced with the dilemma of 'voting UKIP and getting Miliband'. Do they vote for a party which will not get any seats, effectively making a protest vote, or do they use their vote to choose a government?

The ICM poll from the other day had Labour just 3 points ahead of the Tories, with UKIP at 10%. It doesn't take many UKIP supporters to switch to the Tories to make up that difference.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#647 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:50 PM

I think buffoon Cameron will be a saint compared to brother's in arm's Ed.

#648 Bigal02

Bigal02
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

I often find that even if traditional working class (who ever they are now) Labour supporter who have lost faith in Labour in the last 15 years or so will still support them ?

When the PR referendum being voted on, I said to my mates, (who are all political hues), that a lot of, if not most people, vote for their least worst choice.

When one is reluctant to vote for his favored party, who wants to vote for 2nd, 3rd and 4th choice?

#649 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

When the PR referendum being voted on, I said to my mates, (who are all political hues), that a lot of, if not most people, vote for their least worst choice.

When one is reluctant to vote for his favored party, who wants to vote for 2nd, 3rd and 4th choice?

But the referendum wasn't for PR was it? It was for AV without any proportional element. Interestingly, I suspect the torys would be less worried about UKIP had AV been carried.

#650 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,392 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

I suspect the torys would be less worried about UKIP had AV been carried.

Indeed.

Quite funny really.  Provided you don't think too hard about exactly how undemocratic the country is.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#651 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:59 PM

Indeed.

Quite funny really.  Provided you don't think too hard about exactly how undemocratic the country is.

I try never to think about that... it sends me in to spiralling depression.

There's so many people who vote for the 'least bad' option in their eyes because anything else seems a wasted vote. Sure they are wasting their vote in doing that!

#652 Bigal02

Bigal02
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

But the referendum wasn't for PR was it? It was for AV without any proportional element. Interestingly, I suspect the torys would be less worried about UKIP had AV been carried.

My mistake. I  voted reluctantly in the general election and I certainly didn't want my vote to go to anyone else.

My first choice was bad enough! 

#653 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

My mistake. I  voted reluctantly in the general election and I certainly didn't want my vote to go to anyone else.

My first choice was bad enough! 

WIth AV you didn't have to make a second or third choices, so your vote wouldn't have gone to anyone else.

#654 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-25768906

RBS and Lloyds to be broken up under Labour.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#655 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,618 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:39 PM

He's a one, that Miliband!    :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

#656 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:44 PM

There has been more than one suggestion that banks would love to be able to close branches and get to blame it on a government.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#657 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:38 PM

The world's in a weird place tonight... The Labour leader says he wants to champion the middle class while the Tory Chancellor says he wants to heavily increase the minimum wage.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#658 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:15 AM

There has been more than one suggestion that banks would love to be able to close branches and get to blame it on a government.

And dump 'uneconomical' customers, after the UK government has tried for years to persuade the banks to take them on.

#659 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:20 AM

I try never to think about that... it sends me in to spiralling depression.

There's so many people who vote for the 'least bad' option in their eyes because anything else seems a wasted vote. Sure they are wasting their vote in doing that!

I'm not sure they are wasting their vote. For years I have used my vote primarily to keep the Tories out. In my Westminster constituency that has meant voting for one party, and in my Holyrood constituency voting for another. My vote hasn't been wasted as the Tories have been kept out in those seats.

#660 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:23 AM

And dump 'uneconomical' customers, after the UK government has tried for years to persuade the banks to take them on.

Yup, I don't get how it makes my banking 'experience' better.

The high street banks aren't the big problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users