Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Ed Miliband

• Please log in to reply
828 replies to this topic

#821 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,389 posts

Posted Today, 02:15 AM

Are the days of relying on a core vote plus a chunk of the swinging centre gone?

UKIP, SNP and (to lesser degree) are all eating into that core vote.

Labours master plan was to count on the core vote and grab some of the central ground by looking tough on scroungers and following austerity.  That plan is now looking flawed as the SNP could make big ground in Scotland.

Labour to get most seats but no majority is the current fave prediction.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#822 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,234 posts

Posted Today, 08:11 AM

If Labour get most seats but no majority I'm sure they'll form a minority government with support from the nats, the Lib/Dems and various Ulster parties.  Last time, according to Andrew Adonis's book, had he been given the chance Brown could have cobbled together a rag-tag coalition including the above, but Clegg preferred to get into bed with Dave, I think he may learn the error of this plan next May!

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#823 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,397 posts

Posted Today, 10:18 AM

“I rather liked David Miliband and have a sneaking suspicion he may return strengthened by his time out in the real world. But this lot? The Chuka Harman Burnham Hunt Balls brigade? I can't, in all seriousness, go into a booth and put my mark on any one of them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/11196959/Maureen-Lipman-abandons-Ed-Miliband-over-Israel.html

#824 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,988 posts

Posted Today, 11:06 AM

“I rather liked David Miliband and have a sneaking suspicion he may return strengthened by his time out in the real world. But this lot? The Chuka Harman Burnham Hunt Balls brigade? I can't, in all seriousness, go into a booth and put my mark on any one of them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/11196959/Maureen-Lipman-abandons-Ed-Miliband-over-Israel.html

The thing is that there's no-one in Labour capable of replacing the stooges named there.  The last 18 years or so have seen it become far harder for anyone outside of the "in crowd" to get a chance at a winnable seat, it's seen that you either have to be a "name" like Del Piero or have done your apprenticeship within the central office to get a sniff these days.  Labour is in the same state now as the Tory IDS leadership phase, during IDS's tme the Labour Party just did as they saw fit with no credible opposition at all, right now even a middling Tory party should be running Labour ragged with the no-hopers in charge of Labour.  On the other side, a semi-credible Labour party would have already buried the Coalition and be sitting as kings-in-waiting for the next election given the amount of easy hits that the Coalition have served up.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#825 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,011 posts

Posted Today, 12:28 PM

The thing is that there's no-one in Labour capable of replacing the stooges named there.  The last 18 years or so have seen it become far harder for anyone outside of the "in crowd" to get a chance at a winnable seat, it's seen that you either have to be a "name" like Del Piero or have done your apprenticeship within the central office to get a sniff these days.  Labour is in the same state now as the Tory IDS leadership phase, during IDS's tme the Labour Party just did as they saw fit with no credible opposition at all, right now even a middling Tory party should be running Labour ragged with the no-hopers in charge of Labour.  On the other side, a semi-credible Labour party would have already buried the Coalition and be sitting as kings-in-waiting for the next election given the amount of easy hits that the Coalition have served up.

Which is why so many people don't vote nowadays.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#826 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,397 posts

Posted Today, 02:19 PM

I can understand that. It feels as if no matter which way you vote, its not going to change things. Yes Minister is alive and blocking. The current govt have made it known that the Whitehall functionaries are slow to do as they are told or do it wrongly, if they do it at all and I suspect that the previous Govt. made the same accusation.

The freedom for any govt to do the big things (from renationalising the railways to leaving the EU and everything in between) seems to be severely limited by external influences from Europe ( not just the EU) and from the world at large.

#827 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,988 posts

Posted Today, 02:26 PM

I can understand that. It feels as if no matter which way you vote, its not going to change things. Yes Minister is alive and blocking. The current govt have made it known that the Whitehall functionaries are slow to do as they are told or do it wrongly, if they do it at all and I suspect that the previous Govt. made the same accusation.

The freedom for any govt to do the big things (from renationalising the railways to leaving the EU and everything in between) seems to be severely limited by external influences from Europe ( not just the EU) and from the world at large.

I think that's just a convenient argument.  The threats from the EU have not stopped the French, Germans and other nations from nationalising, encouraging "buy local" schemes, protecting state-owned markets and so on, they just do it and tell the EU to "do one" when they argue.  The UK just happily concedes the ground though as it means we have to open it up to the private market where both the Tories and Labour people are happy to let things sit.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#828 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,397 posts

Posted Today, 02:49 PM

Yet when Cameron tells the EU to "do one", he attracts the opprobrium of the left-thinking on here.

#829 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,988 posts

Posted Today, 02:57 PM

Yet when Cameron tells the EU to "do one", he attracts the opprobrium of the left-thinking on here.

Cameron's recent "do one" is the same as someone who tells the government to "do one" when they start earning enough to be paying back their student fees loan!  There's a difference between sticking to a legally agreed formula as in the recent EU bill and ignoring an EC Commission recommendation on state funding.  Some things are binding, others are merely strongly persuasive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users