#21 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:45 AM

1. Sam Tomkins
2. Josh Charnley
3. Kallum Watkins
4. Jack Reed (although I'd much rather have Hardaker if he was playing in the centres regularly)
5. Ryan Hall
6. Gareth Widdop
7. Danny Brough
8. James Graham
9. James Roby
10. George Burgess
11. Liam Farrell
12. Gareth Ellis
13. Sam Burgess

14. Ben Westwood
15. Eorl Crabtree
16. Lee Mossop
17. Shaun Lunt

#22 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

Chris Hill must be the forgotten man, he is a fantastic player yet hasn't been mentioned once.

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#23 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,159 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

Chris Hill must be the forgotten man, he is a fantastic player yet hasn't been mentioned once.

I thought that too, however two posters have included him. But I get the point.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#24 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:34 AM

Tomkins

Hardaker/Hall

Watkins/Reed

Widdop/Brough

Graham/Hill

McIllorum

Burgess/Farrell/O'Loughlin

Hock/G Burgess/Roby/Westwood

Westwood, Mossop or Crabtree depending on form, Roby or Burrow depending on form but I would seriously consider Higham who I feel is having a great season.

#25 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,596 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

We don't have a team capable of beating the Aussies.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#26 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

I think we have a better chance than we've had recently.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#27 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

We don't have a team capable of beating the Aussies.

In a one-off game on home soil I think we do. I reckon our pack will really frighten them given the recent form of the Burgess brothers and James Graham.

#28 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,596 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

In a one-off game on home soil I think we do. I reckon our pack will really frighten them given the recent form of the Burgess brothers and James Graham.

We've always matched the Aussies in the forwards,it's the halfbacks that are the problem,we don't have players of the calibre to match the Aussie halfbacks,whoever we select.

#29 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

We could have a halfback capable of playing for the best club in the world so long as our coach selects him. Its been a while since we could say that. Obviously he isnt as good as cronk or thurston but he shouldn't have an inferiority complex about them either. I still have a horrible feeling that chase will get picked though.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#30 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,596 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

We could have a halfback capable of playing for the best club in the world so long as our coach selects him. Its been a while since we could say that. Obviously he isnt as good as cronk or thurston but he shouldn't have an inferiority complex about them either. I still have a horrible feeling that chase will get picked though.

And there is the problem.

#31 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

you mean they wont be injured? i cant believe so many are coming up with the name gareth ellis, his best days are long gone at club and international level, an injury prone has been who wont be up to speed for the world cup.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#32 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:50 PM

Widdop and Brough/Sinfield has enough of an all round game to win the game, it's just vital our 7 kicks to their full potential.

To win we have to tire Slater, Cronk, Thurston and Smith. Keep making Slater chasing the ball and returning it back rather than the wingers. NSW did it in one of the origin games and it worked, he wasn't half as affective in attack due to being worn out by a brilliant NSW kicking game. For Cronk and Thurston just keep running the ball at them. Make them get through absolutely loads of work. It will probably mean getting the ball wide to the second rowers and centres but I think the way to win is to try and get them 3 out of the game. For Smith I don't know what you can do really. He seems to do 40 - 50 tackles a game comfortably and it doesn't affect his direction of a side

If we let Smith, Thurston and Cronk control the game we will lose. Eliminating Slater as much as we can as he'll be their mine strike weapon along with Inglis will also help massively

It is possible to beat them though.

#33 thepimp007

thepimp007
  • Coach
  • 475 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

So many picking charnley over briscoe but for me briscoe is a must for me due to his superior defending charnley has looked amateurish at times defensively

#34 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:19 PM

So many picking charnley over briscoe but for me briscoe is a must for me due to his superior defending charnley has looked amateurish at times defensively

Lineham has looked twice the player Briscoe has when I've seen him. I'm sure some Hull fans would be able to summarise a better comparison but I think Lineham has looked better this season.

#35 Paddsy

Paddsy
  • Players
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

We will smash em

#36 Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton
  • Coach
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

It's a bit like Wire themselves- flying under the radar with barely a mention from anyone.

#37 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

Widdop and Brough/Sinfield has enough of an all round game to win the game, it's just vital our 7 kicks to their full potential.

To win we have to tire Slater, Cronk, Thurston and Smith. Keep making Slater chasing the ball and returning it back rather than the wingers. NSW did it in one of the origin games and it worked, he wasn't half as affective in attack due to being worn out by a brilliant NSW kicking game. For Cronk and Thurston just keep running the ball at them. Make them get through absolutely loads of work. It will probably mean getting the ball wide to the second rowers and centres but I think the way to win is to try and get them 3 out of the game. For Smith I don't know what you can do really. He seems to do 40 - 50 tackles a game comfortably and it doesn't affect his direction of a side

If we let Smith, Thurston and Cronk control the game we will lose. Eliminating Slater as much as we can as he'll be their mine strike weapon along with Inglis will also help massively

It is possible to beat them though.

Tiring Slater Etc, is not really an option as he and those others that you mention are used to a series of games more intense than the W/Cup will be SOO! And that is an unquestionable fact. 

We now have a contingent of players who are also weathered to the NRL and its demands and who are fully aware of the needs to perform at that standard, they should get a role that allows them to impart and help with that knowledge the others that require what is needed to win against the players that will represent Oz and the Kiwi's and also a few other sides from the S/Hemi that will be competing.

Our coach has to realise that S/L standards will not be good enough over a tournament alone and that some players who are very high profile in S/L do not have the skills or the physical ability to match those that play to a higher standard more consistently. 

We have to neat them up front an item that I contend we now have the ability to do, if only for reasons mentioned above. I do not go along with the statement that we have always matched the Aussies in the forwards, we have not or we would have beaten them on more occasions than we have done in the last 40 years, that stands to reason. 

Had we matched them we would have got on top in far more games, something which presumably, even our inferior backs could have exploited more successfully than has evidently been the case.

My side would be

Hardaker

Hall

Reed

Watkins

Briscoe

Widdop

Tomkins

Graham

Roby

Crabtree

Burgess S

Westwood/Farrell

O'Loughlin

Burgess G

Sinfield/Burrow

Hill

If Peacock was playing at his present form and willing to take part then I would prefer him to Hill.

Tomkins is too big a risk under high balls V OZ and Kiwis, but could interface on attack with Hardaker/Widdop to allow him a roving commission on attack.

#38 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 645 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

1 - Tomkins

2 - Briscoe

3 - Watkins (Would like to see him at full back but we have a distinct shortage of centres)

4 - Reed (Has been poor for Brisbane this year IMO but we have no one else)

5 - Hall

6 - Widdop

7 - Brough

8 - G Burgess

9 - Roby

10 - Graham

11 - Farrell

12 - Hock (If he can be aggressive but remain disciplined - big ask I know!)

13 - S Burgess

14 - Chase (If McNamara let's him play his off the cuff game instead of trying to give him a structured game plan he has the x - factor to scare the Aussies/Kiwis)

15 - Crabtree

16 - Mossop

17 - Westwood

No place for the current captain Sinfield for me.  We have better players at 6,7,9 & 13 and excellent leaders with Sam Burgess & James Graham. Whilst he can get away with a lack of pace at club level, against Australia and New Zealand speed is a requisite. His goal kicking would be an asset but Brough and Widdop are capable kickers.

Ps - Listening to Sam Burgess on Australian TV and radio, has made me think he should be captain.  He is knowledgeable, well spoken, enthusiastic and humerous, a fantastic personality to head up our World Cup media campaign.  No disrespect to Sinfield, but he always comes across on TV as though he is carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Edited by Railway End, 09 May 2013 - 04:58 PM.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#39 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

1 - Tomkins

2 - Briscoe

3 - Watkins (Would like to see him at full back but we have a distinct shortage of centres)

4 - Reed (Has been poor for Brisbane this year IMO but we have no one else)

5 - Hall

6 - Widdop

7 - Brough

8 - G Burgess

9 - Roby

10 - Graham

11 - Farrell

12 - Hock (If he can be aggressive but remain disciplined - big ask I know!)

13 - S Burgess

14 - Chase (If McNamara let's him play his off the cuff game instead of trying to give him a structured game plan he has the x - factor to scare the Aussies/Kiwis)

15 - Crabtree

16 - Mossop

17 - Westwood

No place for the current captain Sinfield for me.  We have better players at 6,7,9 & 13 and excellent leaders with Sam Burgess & James Graham. Whilst he can get away with a lack of pace at club level, against Australia and New Zealand speed is a requisite. His goal kicking would be an asset but Brough and Widdop are capable kickers.

Ps - Listening to Sam Burgess on Australian TV and radio, has made me think he should be captain.  He is knowledgeable, well spoken, enthusiastic and humerous, a fantastic personality to head up our World Cup media campaign.  No disrespect to Sinfield, but he always comes across on TV as though he is carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders.

I admit to having the same thoughts over Sinfield and I agree with your assessment of having better (equipped?) players than Sinfield in the 6,7,9&13 positions too. But We are looking at the fact that KS will be chosen for each match no matter how he performs as the coach has such a fixation on him and to only a minscule lesser degree the club he plays for also, therefor I chose him simply for that reason, not in as much that I believe he should be there. But he will be! Probably Chase as well, although developing circumstances could stymie that option, hopefully.

On Tomkins I have made known why I believe he would be better away from F/B, although without any doubt being the best attacking option we possibly have, given the opportunities, he has to be there and S/H seems to be the best position ( on paper) for me.

PS: as someone states, Jack Reed is not exactly having a good season so far, but he is playing in a far higher grade of competition one where it is much harder to shine than in S/L and where top class threequarters abound. So on that basis I would be only to willing to still see him selected even if it were for his defensive qualities alone.

#40 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,596 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

Same old suspects,same old ####.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users