Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Your England team to beat the kangaroos

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

Same old suspects,same old ####.

England or here? ;)

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#42 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

zak hardaker over jack reed any day, and what is the fascination with heighington? at best an nrl journeyman!!
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#43 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

zak hardaker over jack reed any day, and what is the fascination with heighington? at best an nrl journeyman!!

I think we need to have as many backs as possible who are capable of beating their opposite number in one-on-one situations.

Hardaker needs to join the likes of Tomkins and Watkins in the England line-up - he offers a far greater attacking threat to the one offered by the relatively pedestrian Reed and he is (at least) as good an all-round defender.

There are many Super League forwards and back-rowers who are a level or two above Heighington - his selection for England would be warmly greeted by his friends and colleagues in the NRL for he appears to be a popular and well-liked bloke but, like Reed, I just don't think he's quite good enough.

#44 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

Tiring Slater Etc, is not really an option as he and those others that you mention are used to a series of games more intense than the W/Cup will be SOO! And that is an unquestionable fact.

Of course, by unquestionable fact you mean questionable opinion.

I won't dispute he'll be used to more intense games, but what's that got to do with being turned around and tired out?
People called Romans they go the house

#45 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

I think we need to have as many backs as possible who are capable of beating their opposite number in one-on-one situations.

Hardaker needs to join the likes of Tomkins and Watkins in the England line-up - he offers a far greater attacking threat to the one offered by the relatively pedestrian Reed and he is (at least) as good an all-round defender.

There are many Super League forwards and back-rowers who are a level or two above Heighington - his selection for England would be warmly greeted by his friends and colleagues in the NRL for he appears to be a popular and well-liked bloke but, like Reed, I just don't think he's quite good enough.

hardaker and watkins should be our first choice centres with hall and charnley on the wings.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#46 Riversiderontour

Riversiderontour
  • Coach
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

Hardaker at FB

Sam Tomkins at 6

Brough at 7

Sinfield at 9

Roby 13

The rest can sort themselves out

Even as a Wire I am sorry but Westwood is nowhere near as skillful as Super Sam or Ellis.

Wazza's main industrys are service industries, call centres, warehouses and the public sector nowadays. All three are under threat from the Tory cuts.

#47 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:34 PM

Hardaker was poor at centre for Leeds,shouldn't get the gig in the England team.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#48 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

Hardaker at FB
Sam Tomkins at 6
Brough at 7
Sinfield at 9
Roby 13

The rest can sort themselves out

Play our 6 9 and 13 out of position? That won't work.

#49 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

1. Tomkins
2.Briscoe
3. Watkins
4. Reed
5. Hall
6. Sinfield
7. Brough
8. S. Burgess
9. Roby
10. G. Burgess
11. Ellis
12. Hock
13. O'loughlin

14. Burrows
15. Graham
16. Crabtree
17. Westwood

I'd be tempted to put Liam Farrell instead of hock, we should easily win the battle up front, and if brough and tomkins have good games, we can win.
O'loughlin needs to play.

Edited by joe elliot, 11 May 2013 - 05:57 PM.

waddell

#50 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:48 AM

Watkins & Cudjoe.

Good call mate, Cudjoe showed today why he is the most complete British centre. Defensively he is outstanding and he has a good pair of hands.

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#51 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 936 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

I'm a Leeds fan and will say this. Anyone who thinks Hardaker should be a centre is just wrong. He is such a great player and has the best set of hands I have ever seen but he is the greediest player I have ever seen. Yes, he has a fantastic ability to beat the 1st man, and is like a very quick version of Wellens at his best, but when he played centre for Leeds, Hall never used to get the ball! He has a reluctance to pass the ball outside, even when that's the better option, and 9 times out of 10 will cut back inside and look to do all the work himself.

He is an outstanding young full back, but no more than a decent centre.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#52 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

I'm a Leeds fan and will say this. Anyone who thinks Hardaker should be a centre is just wrong. He is such a great player and has the best set of hands I have ever seen but he is the greediest player I have ever seen. Yes, he has a fantastic ability to beat the 1st man, and is like a very quick version of Wellens at his best, but when he played centre for Leeds, Hall never used to get the ball! He has a reluctance to pass the ball outside, even when that's the better option, and 9 times out of 10 will cut back inside and look to do all the work himself.

He is an outstanding young full back, but no more than a decent centre.

And yet, Harrigan, a "great player" with the "best set of hands" and "fantastic ability to beat the 1st man" and a "very quick version of Wellens at his best" - most of which I would agree with! - surely has to find a slot in an England team that needs as many of these kinds of player as possible?

I would prefer him at full-back with Tomkins in the halves - where he and Eastmond once looked so promising for their country fully 3 years ago - but accept I'm in a tiny minority here. However, I know that you too watch the NRL and would ask just what it is about Jack Reed that appears to make him an automatic choice among so many on this forum?

Unlike Hardaker, Reed is just so slow and with no discernible creative ability or one-on-one attacking threat - and he too has been (gently) mocked by his own team mates in the press for not feeding his Broncos left-wing more than the bare minimum. Reed epitomises the humdrum nature of this Broncos team as well as anybody.

To win the World Cup, somewhere along the line England will need some moments of magic, special plays that will see individuals outpoint their opposite number in those one-on-one situations that you mentioned earlier - and Hardaker is one player more likely to produce the goods than Jack Reed.

#53 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 936 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

I'm not saying he shouldn't have a spot, but seeing him play 4 for Leeds I would have to say that he would do more harm than good in that position. We have some good, strong, quick centres now and Watkins/Cudjoe would be my first choice.

Hardaker will only get better at full back too. He's only 21 years old. At the moment, if Tomkins is to stay at 1, he is still my 1st choice but if he was to move to 6 then we could fit both in. As we are all aware, this will never happen.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#54 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

Not being a Huddersfield fan i obviously haven't seen much of Leroy cudjoe live but when I have seen him on sky and yesterday I've been impressed, great in defence and a great pair of hands. It's between him and reed to partner Watkins in the centres.

#55 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

I think ill change Reed for Cudjoe
waddell

#56 Riversiderontour

Riversiderontour
  • Coach
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

Play our 6 9 and 13 out of position? That won't work.

Tomkins at 6 out of position? He is much more out of position at 1 IMO

I got the 9 and 13 the wrong way around, my mistake!

Even as a Wire I am sorry but Westwood is nowhere near as skillful as Super Sam or Ellis.

Wazza's main industrys are service industries, call centres, warehouses and the public sector nowadays. All three are under threat from the Tory cuts.

#57 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:34 PM

Not being a Huddersfield fan i obviously haven't seen much of Leroy cudjoe live but when I have seen him on sky and yesterday I've been impressed, great in defence and a great pair of hands. It's between him and reed to partner Watkins in the centres.

One swallow and it  making a summer.................? Look cast your mind back to the last time Cudjoe was pitted against the Aussies, that was a horror story that never ought to be allowed to be repeated. As far as being a ' great defender ' goes well he was shown up in that game to be precisely the opposite.

Here I make a comparison with Reed in as much as he is in the Bronco's side because he comes up against the likes of Inglis and other great backs weekly and is defensively competent at the very least, this is the fact that is continuously overlooked by many on here.

Just to deviate a little. As good as yesterdays match was, I this morning watched one much better still Bulldogs V Warriors, which was for the quality of the play and, everything else that makes R/L the best sport to watch absolutely brilliant.  

What made yesterday's game so much better than the average CC or indeed S/L match, was that the defences were superb. Forget the attacking aspect it was the rugged committed defence that made that game stand out from most that we see in England, but that is the generally accepted form of game that is served up frequently in at the very least most NRL games and players down there are conditioned to doing that all the time or; they simply do not get to play.  

In the W/Cup such defencive tenacity will be needed against most of the S/Hemi sides and if it isn't then we will lose the games we contest against them. On that basis I would prefer those that show the ability to play/defend at that standard on a regular, rather than a one off basis.

Finally: the best international performance that Ryan Hall has yet produced was V Oz when the centre inside of him was..........Jack Reed and there has to be some sort of moral somewhere in that, surely?   

#58 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

Widdop
Hall
Watkins
Ellis
Charnley
Tomkins
Brough
Graham
Mcillorum
Mossop
Westwood
Hock
Burgess

Burrow
L.burgess
Morley
JJB

#59 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

Tomkins at 6 out of position? He is much more out of position at 1 IMO
I got the 9 and 13 the wrong way around, my mistake!

He's not out of position at 1. He plays their every week and is in the top 3 in the world in that position.

#60 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

Widdop
Hall
Watkins
Ellis
Charnley
Tomkins
Brough
Graham
Mcillorum
Mossop
Westwood
Hock
Burgess

Burrow
L.burgess
Morley
JJB

Why swap Widdop and Tomkins around from where they play every week. Ellis will offer nothing at centre except being sound defencively. If you want that you can just put Jack Reed in there at least he is used to playing in that position. Mcillorum over Roby is a bizarre one also. JJB and Morley were good in erm 2004.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users