Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

So, it's Daryl Powell...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:14 AM

...as the new Cas coach.

Wonder if he has a release/reverse clause in his contract for the next round of licensing?
People called Romans they go the house

#2 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:18 AM

...as the new Cas coach.

Wonder if he has a release/reverse clause in his contract for the next round of licensing?

Doesn't look like there'll be another round of licensing.

He'll be in a battle royal to be one of the top 12 next year ahead of the new structure.

Difficult as it is for me to say, I wish him well in his new job.

#3 Rover and out

Rover and out
  • Coach
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

Dint see that one coming

#4 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

Doesn't look like there'll be another round of licensing.

He'll be in a battle royal to be one of the top 12 next year ahead of the new structure.

Difficult as it is for me to say, I wish him well in his new job.

Why is everyone assuming that these changes are actually going to happen?

#5 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

My original stance was that this was an opening gambit, a daft idea to be negotiated down to something less odious.  I can't see how it will help the clubs or the game.

What seems clear to me is that chattering of the press, constant mumblings about there being too many clubs in the top tier has reached fever pitch in the last couple of months, and I don't see that as coincidental.

I think Powell has backed the fact that it will happen, and his long running bickering with the Featherstone chairmen can now be put behind him.  I don't blame him for wanting a change of scenery, although I fail to see why Featherstone fans hold him in such high esteem as he's not really brought home the trophies that matter in the Championship whilst there.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 07 May 2013 - 09:24 AM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

I had a quick nosey at an article quoting Powell's reaction to that hit on Ropati; *sigh* rather underwhelming considering today's appointment - no handbags there then. Booooooo!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

Maybe not brought home as many trophies as they should have, could have and perhaps they deserved to, but he made them nigh on unbeatable in the regular season for the last three years. If my club had a coach who did that, I would probably hold him in extremely high esteem too.

#8 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

My original stance was that this was an opening gambit, a daft idea to be negotiated down to something less odious. I can't see how it will help the clubs or the game.

What seems clear to me is that chattering of the press, constant mumblings about there being too many clubs in the top tier has reached fever pitch in the last couple of months, and I don't see that as coincidental.

I think Powell has backed the fact that it will happen, and his long running bickering with the Featherstone chairmen can now be put behind him. I don't blame him for wanting a change of scenery, although I fail to see why Featherstone fans hold him in such high esteem as he's not really brought home the trophies that matter in the Championship whilst there.

Its not just what he did for our club as when he came in he transformed us into the team we are today but apart from that he is a gentleman and a true professional. I'm in no doubt that if he is given the time at Cas he will transform them too. Also that's the problem he didn't win the trophies that's why he/we are in this situation but he won't win any at Cas either if he gets them half as consistent as we were under him then he's done the job he went their to do IMO.

#9 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

Its not just what he did for our club as when he came in he transformed us into the team we are today but apart from that he is a gentleman and a true professional. I'm in no doubt that if he is given the time at Cas he will transform them too. Also that's the problem he didn't win the trophies that's why he/we are in this situation but he won't win any at Cas either if he gets them half as consistent as we were under him then he's done the job he went their to do IMO.

I think that's fair comment, thanks.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#10 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,330 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

Not everyone is.

Why are you assuming everyone is?

#11 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

***MEDIA RELEASE***

Castleford Tigers and Featherstone Rovers can announce the immediate release of Daryl Powell to become the Head Coach of Super League side Castleford Tigers.

Powell said: “Every coaching appointment I’ve had has made me really proud, and this is another proud moment for me. I’m really excited and can't wait to start helping the team and the Club to grow.

“Castleford Tigers is such a proud and traditional Club and it has so much going for it. It is highly regarded in terms of developing its young players and the first team squad has an abundance of quality. I am looking forward to driving the standards and consistency of the team.

“Danny Orr and Richard Tunningley have done a fantastic job in stabilising the group over the last few weeks as the win v Hull KR showed.

“I’ve had a wonderful experience as Head Coach of Featherstone Rovers. I’d like to think that I’ve left them in such a positive place. I’d like to thank everybody at the Club from top to bottom. The board, players, back room staff and the fans have been massively supportive of me and I wish them all the best for the future.”

Tigers’ Chief Executive, Steve Gill said: “We have taken our time over the appointment of a new Head Coach because we wanted to ensure that we brought the right man on board and I’m convinced that Daryl Powell is that man.

“He is an excellent coach who has proven his skills at Featherstone Rovers over several seasons. He is at the cutting edge of coaching and his previous role as Assistant Coach of the England side shows how highly regarded he is.

“We would also like to take the opportunity to thank the Featherstone Rovers Chairman, Mark Campbell for allowing us to speak to Daryl and Chief Executive, Craig Poskitt for ensuring a smooth transition.”

Featherstone Chief Executive Craig Poskitt said: "We thank Daryl for his outstanding services to Featherstone Rovers. It was our duty to allow Castleford the opportunity to speak with Daryl and he decided that the move was the right direction for him to take.

“I would like to state that the club will now be on the look-out for a replacement that shares our vision and wants to be a part of the long term future of the club in Super League.”

Castleford Tigers will be hosting a Meet the Coach Q&A and BBQ for fans at the Wish Communications Stadium at 6pm on Wednesday 8th May. All fans are invited to speak to Daryl over refreshments so simply come along to meet our new Head Coach.

Featherstone Rovers will shortly announce a new Head Coach.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#12 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,208 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

Can't say I'm not disappointed because I am. I wish him all the best. I hope what happened to Peter Roe doesn't happen to Darryl.

Edited by Trojan, 07 May 2013 - 07:30 PM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013