Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Critical Financial Situation....

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

http://www.nwemail.c...ferrerPath=home

Good luck on getting through this guys, hopefully you'll come out the other end stronger and can move forward. I wonder if the RFL will loan you some money against your ground to see you through this....oops sorry, you're not in SL are you, silly me.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#2 joe142

joe142
  • Coach
  • 393 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

why didn't the BOD come out with something sooner rather than waiting till it got to the critical stage? I'm not one to knock the efforts of those that give up their own time like the BOD do but why are the fans constantly kept in the dark?
If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough, when you get knocked down you gotta get back up...

#3 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

heard this on RC before, doesnt sound good.

just need someone with money to come in.

How longs Des's ban got left to run?

#4 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

Open and Honest is the way forward. I hope the BoD can get over this crisis, however a major investment is required to fill the gap created by the lack of home games this month and the fundraising that was required. Everyone is having hard times in this climate and I can not see where the money is going to come from.

Lets see what the BoD propose...good luck guys and im sure people will help where they can but it will need a clear pathway forward with open accounts and requirements.

Im sure you will be presenting the management accounts, 13 week cash flow predictions, 12 month budgets and a plan to go forward. Could you not look at the debentures as in the unclaimed ones? i know its too late now and would need to be checked by the solicitors but can you not ask for confirmation of ownership and sell off those not claimed in a given time? just a thought.

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#5 walneyboy

walneyboy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:33 PM

heard this on RC before, doesnt sound good.

just need someone with money to come in.

How longs Des's ban got left to run?

haha,  good one gus

#6 weighman

weighman
  • Coach
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

As a Donny fan hope you get thro this, we played at home Sunday & our next home game is on the 7/7/13.

The main reason for this is pitch maintenance but its a long time .

#7 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

Need the fans to get behind the club now and start turning up to games

#8 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

I would look at purchasing future tickets if it would help..(might even forget by the time the games are played and pay again) or a 1/2 season ticket   :)

I dont want it to effect future gate takings but there may not be any if we are not careful.

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#9 fozzy3

fozzy3
  • Coach
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

too be honest i think most supporters would or should of realised that with no home games for so long this was going to happen u cant blame the board for one they dont arrange the fixtures and in this sort of scenario this is where the rfl should be helping clubs out even more so when the club is trying to rebuild and pay off there debts instead of just going into administration like other clubs have done

#10 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

The truth is that the buisness plan created and used Always showed a financial problem without the £100k that was notified by Alan Stoker at the AGM in November 2011.  Last year there was more hot air blown in the Board room than Richard Bransons Balloons and the result was no money raised last year by the BoD.  Barrow is a good self sustaining club but the debts left at the end of the 2011 season required carefull planning for re payment which was done prior to the current elected board being in place.

Some may recall my questions to the Board at this years AGM and the backlash i recieved for asking them.

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#11 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

Sorry Fozzy3 but you can not blame the RFL or the supporters for our cash flow issues especially when we are told at the AGM that everything is fine!

The fixtures have been out since before the season started and financial predictions formulated from these. When a month end is completed these figure should then be forcast through the following 12 months along with cash flow predictions for at least 13 weeks then this problem could have been highlighted 2-3 month ago (if it hadnt been already at Board level).without knowing the ins and outs of the Board meetings we will never know, however there may have been options that have failed at the last hurdle and now the Board feel its time to announce it, I dont know and im as concerned as the rest of you especially as I still have an interest in the club surviving.

I am not playing the blame game but the lower gates should have been predicted through the season as well as little income from this month as a worst case senario. This would give the club time to work with repayments over time or to ask for additional funds to be raised by the fans.

The problem is here now and we need to get over or around it; as I say I dont want to get into the blame game with people who work tirelessly for the club for little or no reward.

#12 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

A short term answer is one thing but the long term needs to be resolved to prevent the same issue re occuring again.

#13 fozzy3

fozzy3
  • Coach
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

fair enough maybe this should of been highlighted alot earlier but this could only happen in rugby league more so at championship level what other sport would a team not have a home game for so long it just wouldnt happen. its a an absolute joke and is happening because of the people running or should i say ruining the game below super league level

#14 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

I agree 3 home games in 10 weeks does not help, however it means more home games in previous and subsequent weeks/months.

#15 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:40 PM

One thing I will disagree with and that is what has been stated in the Evening Mail that its "Cash Flow Problems" that the club has. If cash flow was the issue then a loan to cover the shortfall for a couple of months would surfice. However the problem must be a lot gtreater otherwise they could use the 22k raised for the lights as a stop gap.

#16 Alias

Alias
  • Coach
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

Lets get behind the BOD .. They are doing their best . They inherited these debts and have paid big parts of it off . It's a short term cash influx they need . Barrow raiders are still standing ! We still have a team . Get yourselves to the meeting to find out what's going on . Voice ur concerns . Support your team and the board . Stop the doom and gloom till the full true facts are known .

#17 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

How about a friendly with cas? they havent got a game this weekend cause they got knocked out the cup by leeds. Gives Daryll Powell a chance to see his new team and helps us financially

#18 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

The haven friendly would be a better proposition from a financial prospective

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#19 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 379 posts