Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Swinton

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

Will we be facing Brier's and Morley this Sunday ?

Don't really care who they bring but it'll be interesting if they show up.

#2 ernieone

ernieone
  • Coach
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

Shame we do not know for definite as it may encourage a few more spectators to the mount

"Batley Bulldogs, Championship final 2013" 

"The Great Escape 2014"

2015 ?

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

#3 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,138 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

Lee was back on first team duties on Sunday (waterboy)

#4 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

Ben Harrison's set to play for them.

#5 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 665 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:42 AM

Loverugblyleague.com also suggests Adrian Morley is a possibility too.

Going to be a tough forward battle.

#6 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

The whole dual reg system is a farce.

Have to say im looking forward to Adrian Morley vs Ash though!
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#7 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

Wind ya necks in.....at best it will only be one....and you lot are feared to death.

#8 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

Wind ya necks in.....at best it will only be one....and you lot are feared to death.

So six people comment, five quite interested in who you will have in your team, one suggests DR is a farce but still looking forward to the battle with your SL players, and you get from that that we are scared? Great logic!

Oh and by the way, you may not have noticed that this is the Batley forum, with comments from Batley supporters, so not sure that you have any right to ask us to 'wind our necks in.'

Edited by distantdog, 09 May 2013 - 09:38 PM.

#9 batley paul

batley paul
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

Can we play Alex Walmsley?

#10 mountieman21

mountieman21
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:29 PM

We did not do too bad against Big Eorl Crabtree the other week.
Bring Morley and Harrison on.Maybe we might have Fielden but
with Byron,Alex and Keegan he would not make our team

#11 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:18 PM

Slightly defensive there.

Although looking at your forum and the posts youve made about DR, you are someone who clearly cannot take any criticism or even perceived criticism as far as your club goes.

Loyalty impressive, albeit slightly misguided. Your thoughts would be interesting if another club used the DR in the same way that Swinton have. But your never going to comment honestly, as it may run the risk of denigrating the integrity of your precious club. A club I suspect your quite heavily involved with in some capacity. Collaboration, both direct or indirect is usually a trigger for a defensive attitude.

Hope to see you and the other 5 Lions fans from last year's game on Sunday. Maybe a few SL players may even bring the away support into double figures.

For what it's worth I actually feel sorry for the Swinton fans like yourself, who are clearly passionate about your club. Although no rules have been broken and a number of you are attempting to stick up for your club at every opportunity,, the way you have adapted the DR system this season has clearly ripped the heart and soul out of a very traditional and genuine club, with a great heritage.

Edited by Nick07, 09 May 2013 - 11:26 PM.

#12 RPH

RPH
  • Coach
  • 677 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:59 PM

well i cant make my mind up on this one.

he might be saying Batley are feared to death by swinton.....

#13 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:33 AM

Although looking at your forum and the posts youve made about DR, you are someone who clearly cannot take any criticism or even perceived criticism as far as your club goes.

Loyalty impressive, albeit slightly misguided. Your thoughts would be interesting if another club used the DR in the same way that Swinton have. But your never going to comment honestly, as it may run the risk of denigrating the integrity of your precious club. A club I suspect your quite heavily involved with in some capacity. Collaboration, both direct or indirect is usually a trigger for a defensive attitude.

Hope to see you and the other 5 Lions fans from last year's game on Sunday. Maybe a few SL players may even bring the away support into double figures.

For what it's worth I actually feel sorry for the Swinton fans like yourself, who are clearly passionate about your club. Although no rules have been broken and a number of you are attempting to stick up for your club at every opportunity,, the way you have adapted the DR system this season has clearly ripped the heart and soul out of a very traditional and genuine club, with a great heritage.

Great post, Swinton completely abusing the DR system, but do I care, no bring who you want, worried, never.

#14 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

A very well composed reply I thought.

Critics of other clubs are fine so long as they are aware of the reasons why actions have been taken by that club. In the case of Swinton there was a need to replace 9 players who last season left the club through one reason or another that meant getting quality in who would at least make you competitive in what is a very tough league. Remembering the RL brokered these rules, we took full advantage of taking a link with arguably the best club at the time in SL. Not only did it give Swinton the benefit of signing on loan some of there better youngsters( who remember would not have been playing rugby this year otherwise) It also gives Swinton the advantage of using first class training facilities.

Last week we played Whitehaven who this season have included Ade Gardner in their ranks and prior to that against Hunslet, Richard Moore( who incidentally tore us to shreds) yet I see no castigation of those two clubs.

I am no fan of dual reg, much preferring that Swinton ran an A team and had a full squad of players complimenting both the first and A team but harsh financial facts dictate that on crowds of 500 or so it ain't going to happen. Already this season there is evidence of two Championship teams who admirably tried to operate a full squad and yet are now in dire straits financially.

Until Swinton actually break any RL rules I will continue to support our club.

See you all Sunday and if you would like a little side bet I will guarantee you there will be more than half a dozen of us there.

#15 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

what is "feared to death" anyway? is that Mancunian for scared to death?

I suppose having no home, no fans, and not many players to call your own would make anybody a bit unstable. Id hate to be a Swinton fan at the minute.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#16 London Dick

London Dick
  • Coach
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

I hope the same 6 fans come who came last season.  An absolute credit to the club for their constant singing despite a heavy defeat.

The rules are the same for everybody and each club can decide how to use them.  Hopefully one of Wire's bigger name players will be playing as it might benefit our gate.

"If you want us to be the best and if you want us to beat the rest, a BISSA donation is what we need"

#17 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:17 PM

Well my car will have 5 in it for a start.

#18 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

4 in ours as well Riggy. And the same lot went last season as I assume you and Spelly did!!! (There's at least 6).

I'm feared to death, can't remember the last time we won at the Mount!

#19 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

I have been looking back through the history books and not found it yet but i think its a long long time ago.

I would be happy with a bonus point

#20 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

A very well composed reply I thought.

Critics of other clubs are fine so long as they are aware of the reasons why actions have been taken by that club. In the case of Swinton there was a need to replace 9 players who last season left the club through one reason or another that meant getting quality in who would at least make you competitive in what is a very tough league. Remembering the RL brokered these rules, we took full advantage of taking a link with arguably the best club at the time in SL. Not only did it give Swinton the benefit of signing on loan some of there better youngsters( who remember would not have been playing rugby this year otherwise) It also gives Swinton the advantage of using first class training facilities.
Last week we played Whitehaven who this season have included Ade Gardner in their ranks and prior to that against Hunslet, Richard Moore( who incidentally tore us to shreds) yet I see no castigation of those two clubs.

I am no fan of dual reg, much preferring that Swinton ran an A team and had a full squad of players complimenting both the first and A team but harsh financial facts dictate that on crowds of 500 or so it ain't going to happen. Already this season there is evidence of two Championship teams who admirably tried to operate a full squad and yet are now in dire straits financially.

Until Swinton actually break any RL rules I will continue to support our club.

See you all Sunday and if you would like a little side bet I will guarantee you there will be more than half a dozen of us there.

Thanks Marshy,

In many ways the RL are to blame for facilitating the whole system. Hard to blame the SL or Championship clubs for taking advantage of it. I think the whole Briers issue has probably just highlighted your club that's all, and unfortunately not in a positive way. SL should not be allowed to use the Championship as a reserve league for bringing international players back to full fitness whichever way you look at it. The one I feel most sorry for is the Swinton player who has missed out on selection as a result of this ridiculous system.

Hard for you fans though as I'm sure many of you in principle don't agree with it either. But like you say, your not just going to stop supporting your team.

Difficult situation all round. And more evidence that the RFL have no clue how to progress our great sport.

Anyway, hope to see a good Lions following on Sunday, like LD has commented the atmosphere the small band created last year was second to none.

Enjoy your trip to batley, except for the result hopefully;).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users