barrow in trouble

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,715 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

the raiders have released a statement saying that without a cash injection they could go out of business at the end of the current season. i hope they get themselves sorted and get an investor in quickly
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#2 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,009 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

That's the last thing we want, is there any way we can all help them over this period of trouble?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#3 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

Thanks Keith its great that we get support from fellow Cumbrian Teams and is so appreciated. The BoD need to let the debentutre holders know the full financial position of the club quickly and present a way forward. Until it is known how much is required the club will be in limbo..

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#4 rockerlad

rockerlad
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

It's a shame. This isn't a dig at Whitehaven, but why don't barrow do what they did? Just fold and re-start debt free?

#5 rockerlad

rockerlad
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/22437216

#6 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,009 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

The way I look at it soss is that we need each other in Cumbria.    Our best gates over the past 2 years are against Barrow and Haven and if we lost those gates we would then be in similar trouble to yourselves.    Banter between fans is one thing but when it gets this serious then we should all be pulling together.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#7 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

well said...

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#8 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

Fixture planners have a lot to answer for when it comes to helping clubs with short term cash flow

#9 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

Barrow have to be applauded for the efforts to pay their debt off.

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#10 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

Best wishes to all down there

Edited by DavidM, 07 May 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#11 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,009 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

Fixture planners have a lot to answer for when it comes to helping clubs with short term cash flow

They do and have done for a number of years but I don't think you can blame them entirely because clubs do get a draft copy of the fixtures before they are published and they need to look at these more carefully.

#12 rockerlad

rockerlad
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

Barrow have to be applauded for the efforts to pay their debt off.

I agree, don't they own their stadium? And if they went into admin would lose this?

#13 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:24 AM

Getting knocked out of the Challenge Cup early and then an away draw in the NRC hasn't helped Barrow's cause as that has caused 2 of the 5 weeks without a home game. In different circumstances they could have been looking at a nice home cup tie against a SL club and a home draw in the NRC, but luck went against them. That's not the fault of the fixture planners. But it might be worth the RFL considering whether it is a good idea to have the NRC round straight after the Challenge Cup round.

On a different note, I see that nice chap BKM is not concerned about Barrow's plight and has no sympathy for them on the Haven forum because "nobody helped Haven when they had financial trouble".....

#14 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 856 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

Just to let BKM know that we the tax payers and all the traders left owing cash that helped them out.Barrow are in financial trouble through trying to pay of there debt .

#15 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

Just another lack of class and awareness from the usual morons.

As abu says, they are in trouble because they felt a moral obligation to pay there debts, rather than pretend they not longer existed. Horrible for there fans to be in this position, and we can speak from experience. Hopefully they get the help they need and we get time have the pleasure of playing them again next season. Good luck barra marras

#16 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

Yet again the deluded ones show how much contempt they have for other clubs, forgetting how their beloved BOD bankrupted their club and rose like a phoenix leaving their debts unpaid.

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#17 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

On a different note, I see that nice chap BKM is not concerned about Barrow's plight and has no sympathy for them on the Haven forum because "nobody helped Haven when they had financial trouble".....

Your joking right?? That is really shocking that anyone can even think that nevermind post it. I know H4E has wound folk up on here before and I've took most of it to be banter and a laugh although he does seem to take the rivalry thing a bit too seriously. But that is way beyond what I thought anyone would say. Was it said in jest or summat? Surely if the Barrow fans hear of this they will all be very eager to travel to Haven to boost their gate in a couple of weeks - or not.....

I hope Barrow can pull through this next few weeks as the BOD have done really well to get to this point. I know it's small change but if there are any raffles or collections or anything I will put in. I'm sure our club would have no objections on bucket collections this Sunday.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#18 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

We need Barrow , Haven need Barrow , rugby league needs Barrow . The good folk down there deserve everyone's support and good wishes . They deserve better , passionate fans of the game . Historic heartland clubs are the bedrock of our game .Theyre trying to do the right and decent thing when in financial troubles , unlike some in the past who've used various degrees of sleight of hand . All the best to them .

Edited by DavidM, 08 May 2013 - 08:00 PM.

#19 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

I agree with you David, a quick short-term fix would be for Barrow to organise an immediate £10 share issue. I'm sure many Cumbrian Rugby League supporters would contribute. We need Barrow to flourish for the good of Cumbrian Rugby.

#20 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 705 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

Social networking sites are the way forward. Im sure Barrow will be fine, the Rugby League community always stick together in times like this.

Hope Barrow survive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users